why doesn't my old tivo dvr recognize my new direct tv receiver

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by fistagon7, Jan 25, 2006.

1. fistagon7

fistagon7 New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    this is rhetorical of course, but I think that it's ridiculous...not to mention that you have to use a phone line to dial in for service rather than my wireless network that I used to use when I was with cox cable and just had tivo service...when you couple that with an hour long wait on the phone to cancel my old service (and a five minute wait while the rep "filled out the cancel service sheet") I am beginning to wonder if it's not really 2006 but instead is the 1980s...hopefully I can get that 9600 baud modem I've always wanted...

2. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Was there a question in there somewhere or just a meaningless rant?

3. fistagon7

fistagon7 New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    yeah I'd love to know why my tivo doesn't recognize my direct TV receiver (and when it would), call it meaningless all you want but I don't understand why two companies who are colloborating already do it so inefficiently.

4. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    Alzhiemers???

5. scalo

scalo New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Milford,...
    There seems to be alot of information being left out of this question. What is your setup, what type of Tivo (series1 or 2)? and if you want that 9600 I have one for you.

6. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    And they're not collaborating anymore.

7. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    They never were collaborating. DirecTV was a TiVo software OEM. The version they OEM'd was based upon a given release level. TiVo eventually moved on to later releases, but DirecTV did not. When they DID move to a later release, DirecTv specifically instructed TiVo to disable certain features in that release.

Bottom line, they are DirecTV DVRs with TiVo, not TiVo DVRs with DirecTV tuners. You have two different products from two different companies. They don't recognize each other ON PURPOSE.

8. djjensen

djjensen New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Hi, I'm new here and I'm not sure how or where to ask this question...

I currently have an RCA 40GB Tivo (about 1 1/2 y.o.).
    While getting technical assistance from DTV on making a new phone-line connection they told me that my unit was old and sent me a refurbished DirectTV R10.
    Can I tranfer the 40GB harddrive to the R10 as a second harddrive and/or save the recorded shows from the RCA?

Thanks

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Not without a lot of difficulty. Check the underground forum.

The RCA unit may be older, but if it still works, use it as is.
    Four tuners are better than two. :)