Why does TiVo HAVE to interrupt my programming

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by coryb891, Mar 28, 2011.

1. coryb891

coryb891 New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    My TiVo's behavior when it comes to changing the active receiver's channel is really irritating me. For starters, I don't understand why they don't have it ask "Should I use the active receiver, the other receiver, or should I cancel the recording?" Instead it gives the ultimatum of using the active receiver (and losing the live tv buffer) or losing the recording. This occurs even if the other receiver is only recording a suggested recording.

What it did to me just now was even worse. I had one program scheduled to record at 8:00 and it wanted to record a suggested recording at the same time. Instead of asking to change the active channel or cancel the suggested recording, it asked to change it or cancel the recording I set up myself!! Seriously, WTF??? This is just awful. I know I can just turn off the suggested recording feature, but why do I need to do that to not have to put up with this horrible mess?!

Why not allow us to prevent it from changing the active channel except when there are two user selected recordings that occur at the same time. Then it would never need to change the active channel because of a suggested recording, and it would only ever use the receiver that is not in use.

2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I don't watch live TV.

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    More reason to hit the record button if you are watching something live or in the buffer. TiVo sugeestions are least important so those will be canceled.

Hitting the record button avoids many of these issues.

4. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    Its a logic flaw, but one I don't expect them to ever fix along with all the other bugs I've given up on. It should always use the tuner that is not feeding the video outputs to record if its either free or recording a suggestion.

5. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    It SHOULD just come up with an option:
    Stop Watching Live Tv
    Continue watching Live Tv and cancel Suggestion

6. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    +1 on this.

7. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    FWIW my Premiere regularly wants to bump live programming to record a season pass when the other tuner isn't doing anything special. If I want the SP to record, I have to take my live programming to the other tuner... grrrr...

The arrogance of my Premiere is irritating. Next it will want to drink my beer and takeover my recliner, and I'll be left with the couch... :eek:

8. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    I had a roommate like that once. The TiVo is much easier to deal with.