why does tivo change IP upon gaming adapter disconnect

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by newsposter, Oct 19, 2011.

1. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i have frequent router issues and can remotely reboot router and modem. But my linksys gaming adapter is hooked up to the tivo and it goes bonkers too sometime. (not necessarily out when the router goes out) So i have to reboot the router. fine, thats my own hardware issue, not tivos fault.

but even after restarting the hd interface the tivo wont see the adapter, it changes from 192 168 2 5 to 192 168 1 10 and i have to manually change it each time. a real PITA

so why doesnt tivo keep my forced IP setting

2. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    How do you force an IP setting? And what is an hd interface?

The TiVo will not change its IP address on its own -- and not to a 192.168.x.x address on a different subnet. My guess is that that you have two devices that are DHCP servers and sometimes the TiVo gets its address from the wrong DHCP server. If that is the case, you need to turn off the DHCP server on one of the devices.

3. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    manually have set my ip address on tivo, it changed on its own i would have no reason to change to 1.10

what other device would be a server?..nothing else is even active on my network 99% of the time except tivo and laptop

4. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    the modem might be a combo modem/router. The router would and should be a DHCP server. And the the gaming adapter might do it as well.

5. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    Vonage adapters are also dhcp routers.

6. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    sep modem and linksys router

the linksys router screen says dhcp server enabled and router IP is 2.1 but i have static set at 2.5

cant get to the g/a setup without hooking up a wire to it (i think??)

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    List everything connected to your network, including gaming adapter brand and model number, modem brand and model number, and router model number.

8. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    speedstream 4300
    wrt54gl
    wga54g

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you connecting the WGA54G's Ethernet port to the TiVo's Ethernet port in order to give the TiVo wireless access to the WRT54GL, and, through it, the Speedstream 4300?

Do you have a computer connected via Ethernet cable (not wireless), to the WRT54GL router?

Is the Speedstream 4300 connected via Ethernet cable to the Internet jack of the WRT54GL?

10. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA

answers above

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    This is probably part of what I'm going to advise you:

You should be able to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.1 and get the WRT54GL's setup page. See below for password.

If not, push in the reset button in the back for about 20 seconds, unplug the power to it while holding down the reset button, then after 20 seconds plug it back in and release the button 20 seconds later.

That should reset the router to the defaults.

When you get a request for a password for the router, leave the name blank and enter admin in the password field.

Set the DHCP range from 192.168.1.251 to 192.168.1.254

If you have more than 4 things that need to get IP addresses assigned, like laptops that leave the house and log on to other networks, you can lower the .251 by as much as necessary, until you bump into where I'm going to tell you to put the Tivo.

Give the Tivo a fixed IP of 192.168.1.201

But first I'm going to have to do some more research to familiarize myself with your modem and game adapter.

12. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    that sounds like a lotta work for you to go thru all this..maybe i should just run the wire thru the house into the living room and have the modem and router in there hardwired to the tivo and laptop

but even if i do that i have questions

1. will the hardwired tivo still work even if the router messes up like it's doing now, i have very frequent router disconnects (tivo and laptop go down as a result) and i can go in the bedroom and see the modem has all the lights on so it's definitely a router issue. ..well. i think..if i had 100% guarantee this is router, i would by new, no questions asked but what if i buy new and it doesnt solve it?

2. if i have a hardwire coming from the router to my laptop (modem is just one jack out so i dont have that option), will the laptop use the wireless signal or the wired? i know i can flick the button to kill the wireless on the laptop but just curious what happens if it has both on?....really dont want a wire across the living room floor to the laptop

i'd then put my gaming adapter on my PC, which gets 90 percent less use than the other stuff so it's not of consequence really

13. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Get a small fan and set it up so that it blows on the WRT54GL, and see if that makes a difference.

Then we'll go from there.

14. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I would get a new router to begin with. The WRT54GL is pretty old and I don't think I would mess with all these issues caused by a bad router.

15. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm currently using a WRT54G v2 that's even older and handling 3 wired TiVos, 2 wireless Tivos, and one wireless computer running TiVo Desktop, so let's see if the problem really is the router or something else.

16. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i can use my IR thermo to see how hot the thing is but the bedroom is the coldest room in the house year around and no heat source within 10 ft of it.

i just wish i knew if the wired part of the router will work even if the wireless is wonky..that i could live with...i have no issue swapping out in the rooms if will be reliable..maybe ill have to run that test this weekend to see about issues. then i can also actually watch the router while it's in the living room and see what goes on with it

now that you mention v.2..i have to go home and peek, i may even have that one

so are you saying if the router has issues that the tivo will change from the IP that i set it to? that just doenst seem right tivo does that on its own if i set it manually

17. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The TiVo should stay on the fixed IP you assign it. Assuming you went into network setup on it and told it, no, do not use DHCP, I'll assign you a fixed IP.

My suggestion,

subnet

DNS 1

192.168.1.1 (the fixed IP of the router)

no DNS 2 or 3

Now that's the fixed IP that the router shows to the 4 ports on the back and anything that connects to it wirelessly.

You may, depending on your modem and your ISP, need to let the modem assign a DHCP address to the router on the other side of the router, the internet jack.

That'll be at the top of the main setup page.

The fixed IP for the router and the DHCP range that the router hands out will be in the sections below that.

You need to assign the wireless part of the router a network name (I think it's called the SSID), and tell the TiVo, and anything else that connects to it wirelessly, what it is. Then set the router to NOT broadcast the SSID.

That'll give you a little security against people outside your house getting into your network.

You might consider temporarily not using any wireless encryption until things get straightened out. Then you can go back and set the router, the TiVo, and the laptop to the highest level the oldest of them can run.

Perhaps what you're seeing is the TiVo's IP at times, and the game adapter's IP at others, although I don't know enough about how it or your modem work yet to diagnose your entire system.

I do know that when Linksys stuff overheats it gets flaky (which is why I've installed fans internally on both of my 54Gs and both of my 2 BEFSR41s.

18. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i had no time last night to do anything but today i have one silly question

if i hardwire both tivo and laptop to the router, does that mean i can transfer to and from the tivo..i assume thats' what a router is supposed to do but figured i better ask..

and as an aside it all went out last night again..rebooting modem and router this moring..then had to manually set IP again..the tivo said there was NO IP then rebooted the G/A and it was 1.10 again lol

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yes, though I've been able to transfer between a laptop and my TiVo with a network cable connected directly to the TiVo.. (because I get fewer reboots when it's not connected to the network --- a dying TivoHD) I could swear in the past there HAD to be a router in there to give it a DHCP address.. but now it will assign its own address if necessary? (or maybe this was only BETWEEN tivos that there needed to be a router)

20. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Modern devices that don't get an IP address via DHCP will assign an IP via Automatic Private IP Addressing and get a 169.254.x.x address, it's a standard, and since they are on the same subnet they will communicate via broadcast to other devices that may have also have an address in the same fashion.