1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does this happen (static sound - double click)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by skypros, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Oct 6, 2018 #1 of 13
    skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    About weekley..... I will be clicking through TiVo.... and all of a sudden, the sound goes to Static Digital Screeching.... Then when the sound comes back the "TiVo" sounds are no longer there. The only (easy) way to get the TiVo sounds back is to put it in "standby"

The other thing is the double clicking..... IE: when you press the skip button, and it does 2 skips. Sometimes it is really bad..... and I think it gets worse when the remotes batteries get weaker.

2. Oct 6, 2018 #2 of 13
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I will get this as well, although less frequently than you (maybe every 3-6 months?). To get the TiVo sounds back, I go into the TiVo Audio settings, change the setting between Dolby and PCM, exit out of settings, and then repeat, changing the setting back.

3. Oct 6, 2018 #3 of 13
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Might help to include a lot more information. :)

What is your audio setup first? Are you set up through a receiver and using surround sound? If not, you might try changing your audio output to PCM to see if this reduces the number of times this happens. I've only had this happen once on our Roamio Pro (with Onkyo receiver) in the past 3 years.

For the remote double-click issue, what model TiVo and remote? I haven't had this issue again with the Roamio Pro and TiVo Slide Remote Pro in RF mode (or the earlier S3's with Glo Remotes in IR mode).

Scott

4. Oct 7, 2018 #4 of 13
    worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Happens to me as well, maybe once every couple of months. It did it for my old Roamio and now with my new Bolt. Everything's on the same AV setup using PCM audio on the TiVo's. To fix it I perform the same process listed above.

5. Oct 7, 2018 #5 of 13
    HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    So you aren't using surround sound with your TiVo on channels/shows that support it (since you are set to PCM)?

Scott

6. Oct 7, 2018 #6 of 13
    worachj

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    That's correct. I don't get the 1-4 second(s) of no sound after FF when I use PCM and I like the TiVo sounds. I'll switch back to Dolby if they ever fix that 1-4 seconds of no sound after FF or RW.

7. Oct 7, 2018 #7 of 13
    HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I seem to recall you mentioning this before. Haven't seen it (or heard it) here with our Roamio Pro (or the older S3 OLEDs) with an Onkyo receiver and Toslink audio output (no HDMI on my old receiver) and Comcast MPEG4 and MPEG2 content.

Scott

8. Oct 7, 2018 #8 of 13
    worachj

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    The no sound after using trick play is an old problem from way back that was never fixed.
    After coming out of pause, there is no sound

The strange static noise and no TiVo sound problem I've had since I got my Roamio in 2013.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  9. Oct 7, 2018 #9 of 13
    HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    At least one user in that thread said that moving to optical "fixed" it for them (which may explain why we've never had the problem since I've always been optical for audio).

After coming out of pause, there is no sound

A second user reported the same but indicated they still occasional had it happen.

Scott

10. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I still have the issue with an optical connection to my soundbar.

11. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Mike,

The no audio for 1-4 seconds after FF/RW (sorry we diverged a little bit on the topic)?

Scott

12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I haven't had that issue, but I was referring to the burst of static issue.

13. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The optical connection was referring to just the 1-4 second delay in audio according to the link.

Scott