Why does the A/V jack non standard?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by gfretwell, Oct 22, 2020.

1. gfretwell

gfretwell ReplayTV refugee

Jul 9, 2016
    SW Florida

Advertisements

I have 3 of the 3.5MM 4 conductor to RCA cables here from various things and they are all wired the same but the Tivo Roamio puts out the video on the red audio RCA jack and the audio is on the yellow?
    I may have blown one of the video inputs on my DVD burner before I figured it out (using a headset)
    Is this just because they can?

2. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Do you also have audio on the white? You can try only plugging in one of the audio jacks at a time to be sure that you have both audio channels. You may not have it fully plugged in. Plugging an audio signal in a video jack or plugging a video signal in an audio jack should not destroy your DVD burner. The 3.5mm audio/video cables can be difficult to make a proper connection and you may just have to try more cables or find the original one. It is common for them to work in one piece of equipment and not another. Very slight differences in the connector. Also you can try cleaning the connector on the cable with alcohol and a rag,

3. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I can't imagine any miswiring would blow an input. The levels capable on line level audio and composite video aren't really that different in range (-0.45v to 0.45v audio, -0.28v to 0.72v composite video), and certainly nothing beyond what consumer electronics are going to accept as input.

4. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Sounds like it's not plugged in all the way.

5. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA

Advertisements

Roku's breakout jack and cables have always been wired differently then standard breakout cables. So it might not be the Tivo thats not standard its the cable you're using it with?

6. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I don't think the Roamio OTA came with a breakout cable.

7. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    You are correct, the TiVo did not come with the cable, but it was available as an accessory from TiVo.

shwru980r likes this.