Why does R10 freeze and shuts off

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Butterscotch, May 27, 2006.

1. Butterscotch

Butterscotch New Member

Aug 23, 2005

Advertisements

I have 2 Directv R10's in different rooms that have been working fine for 1.5 yrs. All of a sudden one of them is acting up. While watching live tv the picture will freeze for 5 to 10 seconds and the box shuts off completely. It then is stuck at the orange powering up screen forever. If I manually unplug it, then it will reboot properly. It has done this 6 or 7 times in the last 24 hrs. The temp. is between 39 and 42. Does this sound like the hard drive is bad?

I replaced the drive with a new maxtor and the R10 worked fine for about a month and now is having the same problem. It reboots and sticks at the power up screen. Any new suggestions?

2. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    dang, that search button is bwoke again. :)

3. Butterscotch

Butterscotch New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Thanks for the original tips. I have edited post to show problem has come back with a 1 month old hard drive!

4. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...

Advertisements

Every Maxtor I have owned has died within 6 months. I would replace the drive with a non-Maxtor drive.

5. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Maybe it's a power supply or AC power issue. Make sure you have the unit protected by connecting it to a UPS.