Why does my TiVo keep changing to QVC?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by infinitespecter, Sep 2, 2007.

1. infinitespecter

infinitespecter Member

Jul 22, 2004

Advertisements

Since I got my Series 3 a year ago, I've noticed several times that it will randomly change channels to QVC (channel 6). I don't even have that channel active in my lineup, and it won't let me change channels or do anything for a good 5 minutes or so. It will interrupt recording (on both tuners) or playback and won't continue the recording after it changes back. My first Series 3 was replaced in December (totally separate issue) and it didn't happen again for a while, but now it is happening almost every day. Does anyone have any idea why it is doing this?

2. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Are you linked to telephone updates?

As I recall, when I was linked to telephone updates, not only did TiVo use the phone for updating, but, at weird times (I think in the middle-of-the-night) it would switch to QVC to do some sort of housekeeping ad they used QVC for that purpose. Like you, I found it annoying as I, too, blocked out QVC!

This time around, I'm on Wireless, so that hasn't happened.

Perhaps someone else will chime in with more details.

3. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    My cable box dvr goes to qvc some times. It says this a weekly test. But it dosent do it every day.

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    That has got to be one of the most ridiculous things that I've read here.

How a Tivo manages itself has absolutely nothing to do with how it connects for it's "daily" calls

5. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...

Advertisements

Mick, I'm not sure exactly what it is you're objecting to.

Are you saying TiVo no longer goes to certain Channels for housekeeping or any other purposes? Or are you objecting to my saying there could be a relationship between telephone and/or WiFi and its going to QVC?

FWIW, I no longer find my channel changed to QVC now that I'm on WiFi but I haven't researched why. I have simply been grateful.

Perhaps you could give us a better idea about what is happening as you are more technologically up-to-date. And do forgive me if I have not recalled accurately that Tivo changes (or used to) channels during down time.

I am eager for your wisdom and knowledge in this matter, as your input is usually on-point.

6. infinitespecter

infinitespecter Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Thanks for attempting to help, but what you are referring to is that TiVo paid program, right? That's usually on the Discovery channel out here. This is in the middle of the day for a few minutes, and it's highly, highly annoying. The unit becomes totally inoperable during these times and cancels everything that was recording.

7. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    I think my S2 goes to paid programming when downloading Tivocasts, but I may be mistaken. Kind of odd, really, but it definitely takes control of live TV while doing something.

8. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Hey, Senator :D , that could be. It was a few years ago, and I only vaguely remember (I do recall it was annoying, but I let go of details of annoyances asap). So, I had hoped some others would chime in here with a clearer explanation.

Sorry I wasn't of more help!

M

9. infinitespecter

infinitespecter Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I think I've figured it out. It has to do with emergency weather alerts. Someone over in the Series 3 forum (about a year ago) said that during emergency weather alerts it will switch channels to the alert channel and won't respond, by design. There have been a lot of flash flood warnings in my area lately, so it makes sense that this would happen, but I think there is some sort of glitch that forces it to QVC instead of the weather station.