Why does my ps not work

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by tdenson, Jan 20, 2006.

1. tdenson

tdenson New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Leeds
    Whenever I run ps from a telnet session on my Tivo I get nothing, it just comes back to the bash prompt. I can't even induce an error message by giving it nonsense options. What's going on ?

2. Verne

Verne New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Ipswich,...
    Are you just typeing "ps" on its own? Try "ps aux" instead.

Where is your ps installed, /var/hack/bin? Is that in your PATH? Try running it from that directory if it's not.

Are you sure you transferred it in binary mode?

If you've got ls installed do "ls -l /var/hack/bin/ps" and post back what it lists. Is it executable?

Can't think of anything else to try. Hope this helps.

3. tdenson

tdenson New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Leeds
    Thanks. It runs properly when I run it from /var/hack/bin - I must have a rogue copy in my path somewhere.

4. tdenson

tdenson New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Leeds
    I now have a further oddity. There was a zero byte version in /var/hack which I have removed, however now when I just type ps I get -

bash: /var/hack/ps: No such file or directory

But if I type /var/hack/bin/ps it works.

5. healeydave

healeydave from tivoland.com

Jun 4, 2003
    Midlands
    you've answered your own question.

You had a duff ps at 0 bytes in /var/hack which you have now deleted hence the no such file or directory message.

The working version works from /var/hack/bin

Your .profile probably requires you to add the /var/hack/bin directory to your PATH statement so that you can run ps from elsewhere other than just the /var/hack/bin directory.

I suspect you have an exisitng path setup for /var/hack but not /var/hack/bin

6. tdenson

tdenson New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Leeds
    No, I think you misunderstood what I said. The error you get if a program is not in the path is "command not found". I do have /var/hack/bin in my path, but if I run it without prefixing ps with /var/hack/bin I get "no such file or directory". This is *not* the error you get if it can't find ps.

7. tdenson

tdenson New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Leeds
    Now rebooted and al is well, I think something was lurking.

8. aerialplug

aerialplug Serious TiVo User

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    Bash caches the path.

(that sounds cool)