Why does Discovery combine shows in to one three hour listing?

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by DeltaOne, Apr 9, 2020.

1. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Discovery's "Gold Rush" show has been combining three one hour shows in to one three-hour listing. Now they're set to do the same with "Deadliest Catch" next Tuesday. Why do they do that?

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    My guess would be the same reason that some channels started making some shows 61 minutes long...to screw up your DVR and tie up the tuner so it was on THEIR channel and not some other channel.

-KP

3. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    My theory is they're bundling shows that get lower ratings with shows that get higher ratings. I guess they then get higher ratings on all the bundled shows.

It's still weird. They run promo ads like the three shows are separate (show X at 8 pm, show Y at 9 pm, show Z at 10 pm), then the guide only shows one show. I checked the Discovery web site schedule...they're shown there as one show too.

4. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    I think it's laziness on the guide provider, to be honest. I see it as separate entries right now on Gracenote (zap2it).

The only combined show is the 2 hour season premiere, which has been happening a lot of late. Not sure if it's just the first two episodes combined, or if it's a massive opener.

My guide shows "The Legend of Casey McManus", "The Harris Bloodline" followed by "How to Beat the Russians" (2 hour premiere).

But year, a 4 hour block would basically tie up the DVR and unless you have a 6 tuner model, it makes it even harder to schedule anything else on that block of time with a dual tuner.