Why do I have to start over?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by HarleyRandom, May 28, 2020.

1. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Sometimes when I am in the middle of watching a show I recorded, I do something else, such as when there is an ad for a show and I want to make sure that show ill record. Usually when I come back to the show I was watching it says "Resume playing" but sometimes it says "Play" and I'm back at the beginning, not knowing where I left off. What determines which one I get?

2. rhain

rhain Member TCF Club

Nov 3, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Just a quick thought but did you press pause prior to walking away? If not then the show will continue to play and when it reaches the end and you go back and select it from 'Now Playing' it would not know where you walked away.

3. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    I do one of two things when I "walk away". Either I press the left button to go to the "My Shows" list or the TiVo button to go to the main menu. I don't think pressing the TiVo button causes this to happen.

I might also press "Pause" but I wouldn't really have a reason to.

4. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Depends how far you are in the program.

5. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    I have noticed that close to the end of a program, if I don't pause before clicking on the left button, it'll ask if I want to delete.

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep--it's a TiVo feature (the TiVo box assumes that you are done with the show at that point).

rpiotro and unclehonkey like this.
  7. Jun 1, 2020 #7 of 12
    HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    I've known this for a long time, but it's annoying.

8. Jun 1, 2020 #8 of 12
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Something similar happens to me when I end up watching a show that I recorded, but instead I am watching the "live" version. This may or may not be what you do.

Sometimes I start to watch a show like Survivor as it is on the TV when I turn the TV on, so I press the left button of (go back all the way to the buffer beginning and start watching). It is also recording. Sometimes I pause watching to do something in the TiVO menu. ONce doe, if I select that show in MY Show recordings, it would say play, even if I had paused it. That's because the recorded show is un-watched, because I was watching and had paused the buffered show.

9. Jun 1, 2020 #9 of 12
    HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    I usually don't watch the live version.

10. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Try pressing Live TV button.

11. jerryez

jerryez Active Member

May 16, 2001
    Pensacola,FL...
    If you are watching a program that is still recording when you exit, you will not have a resume feature, you should just press pause and then guide and then play when exiting guide. Unless you want to finish the program at a later date.

12. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    Instead of guide, I have found it easier to figure out how to navigate by going to the main menu, then scrolling down to "record by time" or whatever it is.