Why Do Americans Have the Worst DVRs?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Emacee, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Aug 2, 2019 #1 of 58
    Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

Our digital recorders cut off the last minutes of sporting events and our favorite shows. That doesn’t happen in Europe.

"It’s easy to imagine a universe in which DVRs worked better. Rather than forcing TV watchers to pad their recordings manually, broadcasters could send a signal to cable and satellite providers when a program begins and another when it ends. Your DVR would grab these signals, ensuring that it starts each recording when it should start and ends it when it should end—not at some (often-wrong) scheduled time, but at the
    real time. This wouldn’t just solve ball, stick, and puck problems. It would also benefit everyone who’s suffered the pain of missing the last joke on 30 Rock because the show runs just a little bit beyond its allotted time.

Here’s the good news: This hypothetical DVR utopia actually exists, and a lot of people are living in it. The bad news for me and my fellow Americans: The United States is trapped in the bowels of DVR hell, and we’re not going to escape any time soon."

READ MORE
    The One Life-Changing Feature that European DVRs Have and American DVRs Don’t

2. Aug 2, 2019 #2 of 58
    PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    That article was 6 years ago, most people don't care about it really.

aaronwt, compuguy, CloudAtlas and 3 others like this.
  3. Aug 2, 2019 #3 of 58
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Because other countries have tighter control over their television to the point of much of it being state run.

aaronwt, eman926, osu1991 and 2 others like this.
  4. Aug 2, 2019 #4 of 58
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    The cloud DVR on YouTube TV automatically adjusts to lengthen the recording when a sports event runs long. Not sure about Hulu with Live TV.

5. Aug 3, 2019 #5 of 58
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

You’d think any cable/satellite TV provider could add this feature to their own broadcasts and DVRs, even if not available OTA.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  6. Aug 3, 2019 #6 of 58
    EWiser

EWiser Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    There is code in the tv signal itself to do this for the tv stations. Learned this in electronics school years ago. The problem is that only the stations are allowed to use it. That is how commercials are added to broadcasts.

compuguy and jrtroo like this.
  7. Aug 3, 2019 #7 of 58
    Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    How do you know what "most people" care about? There are those who are sick of going watch something and find part (or all) of a program cut off? Yes, Tivo may prompt you to pad live recordings but it does nothing when programs follow some game or tournament and the entire prime-time schedule gets pushed back. Or when the schedule is not accurate (the program ends a minute or two later than stated). Those of us who are sick of clipped or incomplete program recordings are going to go to on-demand. The rest of you, keep drinking Rovi Kool-Aid.

8. Aug 3, 2019 #8 of 58
    Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    You make it sound like "state run" is a bad thing. And for the record, EU television is not "state run." It is, however, or more closely regulated than the corporate media in this country. Funny, any time a industry gets itself "de-regulated," they screw it up, screw the customer and end up failing. Experienced air travel lately? And yes, broadcasting has become a complete mess. What used to be "a license to print money" is money down the toilet.

compuguy and Bigg like this.
  9. Aug 3, 2019 #9 of 58
    tommiet

tommiet Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Flights everyday to those "other" countries....

bobfrank, kpeters59 and dlfl like this.
  10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Actually that's an inference you made. I don't see it in @TonyD79 's post. Apparently this hit a nerve with you.

It never ceases to amaze me how people assume that government regulations and bureaucracies are the pristine antidote to greed and corruption in corporations, ignoring the fact that greed and corruption are the result of human nature, and opportunities for same exist in government too, and arguably with even more potential for harm.

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    And hordes from other countries seeking entrance to the USA. :p

12. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    You are reading something that is not there.

dlfl and osu1991 like this.
  13. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Which countries were you thinking of where most of the TV is state run?

14. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Because I am an all powerful genie.

15. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Comcast did, although I don't think it's a signal in the broadcast, it's just remote IP control, probably with some guy in a control room in Denver doing it.

They're not perfect, but if they are done reasonably well, they create a playing field that allows for competition and a good quality service at a reasonable price.

The thing that most anti-government nuts don't understand is that there is no free market unless you have total anarchy, i.e. Somalia. De-regulating is picking winners and losers just as much as regulating does. The government creates the playing field, so it's a matter of what playing field we want to create, and who we want to win. The way the US is set up right now, it's largely the big corporations that can consolidate power and win, not the little guy.

16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Those without commercials? :)

17. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    You sound like on of the people in Philly that goes to Subway when there's a real HOAGIE around every corner and at any Wawa.

So let me ask you a question... Little Debbie or Tastykakes?

18. Mr Tony

Mr Tony formerly known as "unclehonkey"

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Unless its Grape I dont want it ;)

19. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    When all the recording is done in the cloud -- like with AT&T TV, YouTube TV, Hulu with Live TV, etc. -- it's no big deal. Maybe it's done via some sort of AI or maybe the vMVPD just hires a guy to sit and watch a wall of live TV screens and then adjust the recording stop/start times for individual programs as necessary, with those changes flowing through system-wide across all customers' cloud recordings.

See? The cloud-based future of DVRs ain't all bad.

20. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    sort of a moot pt going forward. I would have liked this feature but now don't care. I feel like I'm on my last DVR. :)