Why did TiVo not do this??

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jaselzer, Oct 12, 2019.

1. jaselzer

jaselzer Member

Sep 10, 2018
    AlvisoShowcase likes this.
  2. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    You can't record streaming and the market doesn't need another Android TV Box.

tommiet and wizwor like this.
  3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Android TV dongle of some kind is coming "early next year". It won't replace the DVR per se, but it could theoretically have Sling, YouTube TV and a bunch of other apps for all that.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Because they're idiots! Instead of innovating and releasing something people might actually be excited to buy they released a minor hardware refresh that no one actually needs.

They have an Android TV box they sell to MSOs. Why not expand on that and make it into a consumer device rather than just releasing another hardware refresh that no one cares about?

5. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Wow, and this coming from a TCF staff member. Shows you how far Tivo has fallen in the eyes of many.

d_anders, OrangeCrush and mrsean like this.
  6. Hichhiker

Hichhiker Just me.

Apr 21, 2002
    I think they briefly had an Android TV "TiVo mini-like" app a few years back - but sadly it was discontinued very quickly. That would have been the best approach as there is no reason to buy an overpriced dedicated hardware for something that is essentially an app that can run on a $30 dangle ...

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They are supposedly making apps like this, but they were promised in Q2 and we haven’t heard a word since.

OrangeCrush likes this.
  8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah I'm a bit jaded by TiVo at this point. The ad thing really has me irked. I haven’t even personally seen it yet, but the fact that they're doing that while completely punting on innovating the main product speaks volumes. They're heading down a path I really don’t like.

9. EWiser

EWiser Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Right they showed Roku AppleTV and android tv app’s at CES last January.
    Been waiting for this to come out.

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Along with the Mini Wireless Adapter. November could be a fun month, and a way for TiVo to make a positive splash, along with the new EDGE model for the December holidays and perhaps some nice TiVo sales/promotions.

11. kokishin

kokishin Active Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Dan,

Did Sam hijack your account? :rolleyes:

12. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    It’s not that you can’t record streaming, it’s that the content providers don’t want you to be able to record streaming and often use DRM as a means to prevent it.

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Sam?

I'm not trying to spread FUD, I'm just unhappy with where TiVo is going.

OrangeCrush, mschnebly, dlfl and 5 others like this.
  14. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    So for legal purposes you can't record streaming, I should have made that clearer.

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Now I read in the Edge forum that TiVo-To-Go doesn’t work and they’re not sure they’re going to fix it because TTG is no longer officially supported. :thumbsdown:

At this point I think the Bolt is the last TiVo I’m buying.

16. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I dont use the Bolt anymore, I use the 4 tuner Roamios, for cable and OTA, the PQ is better even on a UHD set.
    I have enough spare parts to fix them too. Im set for my lifetime. No more money from me for TiVos.

17. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    TiVo has a long history of over promising and under delivering but it beats the alternative out there for now....

18. gary.buhrmaster

gary.buhrmaster Member

Nov 5, 2015
    As discussed elsewhere, they are not allowed to do that (or at least in the way I think you are suggesting). Android TV certification does not allow one to replace the front and center launcher menu unless you are a MSO using the "Operator Tier". Which means is that while TiVo could offer a TiVo app for Android TV (which they have previously stated they intend to do), it would just be another Android TV app, and not TiVo front and center (always) as you might expect/want. I would be surprised if TiVo did not at least investigate if they had any viable options regarding an Android TV box for the consumer product (probably have a few prototypes in the lab), since they are intimately familiar with the Operator Tier for their MSO customers and how to do it, but we will never know for sure.

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That's not a hard and fast rule. I looked at the license and it says Google can make exceptions to what it considers an "operator". However one way to guarantee that they would qualify would be something like TiVo Plus where they're selling a bundle of "channels" thus making them an "operator".

20. gary.buhrmaster

gary.buhrmaster Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Is that your professional legal opinion?