Why did D* bother with the 6.3 upgrade with the H20 just released?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jimmymiko, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Oct 1, 2006 #1 of 53
    jimmymiko

jimmymiko Just another day!

Mar 29, 2003
    Walworth NY

Advertisements

Does anybody have any idea why D* bothered to upgrade the "old" technology of the H10? With the H20 just released what is the motive? We have had the same OS for a few years that is mostly stable why upgrade now?

Maybe it is just to see just how loyal their customers are! :confused:

2. Oct 1, 2006 #2 of 53
    Brewer4

Brewer4 New Member

May 6, 2004
    Connecticut
    Internally dont care about D*'s processing but I like others have no intention of getting rid of my HR10. My family loves the Hr10. They will work the bugs out but I think it was the right thing to do. Faster HR10's will keep HD subscribers happy for a few years.

3. Oct 1, 2006 #3 of 53
    alv

alv New Member

May 6, 2004

Will that really be true if there are lots of channels the HR10 will not receive?

4. Oct 1, 2006 #4 of 53
    Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    Perhaps to prove once and for all that there is no great conspiracy concerning the HR20.

5. Oct 1, 2006 #5 of 53
    jrock

jrock Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Connecticut

Advertisements

Maybe it's because they promised it to the HR10-250 customers a few years ago and have been working on it since then.

Maybe it's because they have sold a very large quantity of HR10-250's to they're customers and they want to keep them happy. Many of the customers spent $999 like myself or even $750 like my second one cost.

I don't think everyone will upgrade there are people that love TiVo and don't want any other DVR software. This is a TiVo forum, not a DirecTV DVR+ forum. The only reason it's here is for the TiVo software.

I for one am really happy they made the upgrade. I record NBC, HBO, Showtime, and Discovery all in HD on my HR10-250 and will keep both for a very long time. Even if they come out with some great new HD channels I don't know if I would get them.

I spent $800 on a new TiVo S3 and $35 a month for Comcast Basic with HD just to get the other locals in HD on TiVo software. That's how much some people love TiVo and just don't want to use other DVR software no matter what.

-Joe

6. Oct 1, 2006 #6 of 53
    bodosom

bodosom Just another tivotee

Apr 28, 2002
    Niagara...
    The problem isn't new stuff its repurposing the existing transponders to mpeg4 at which time our wonderful HD-TiVos will be reduced to OTA HD recorders. While this is unlikely to happen soon it will probably happen well before "a very long time". :(

7. Oct 1, 2006 #7 of 53
    jimmymiko

Mar 29, 2003
    Walworth NY
    Joe -
    I love TiVo also, I had a stand alone with D* for years but when I was paying $24 for two stand alones when I could have been paying $10 ($5.00 for DVR $5.00 for the mirror) for DirecTivos, I went with the cheaper option. I would love to stick with Tivo but I am just not going to pay for it when the time comes. I like D* because of the quality of the picture and from what I am told the quality of the HR20 is better than the HR10 for SD which is most of the programming. I will never go back to cable because the quality was just not up to par with D*. Tivo has shut the door on satellite tv with the S3 so what other option is there. The HR10 will go away in time and Tivo doesn't have any HD alternative for satellite users. I first used this board when I had two series 1 Tivo's now I have one DirecTivo HR10 and one R15 so I still have interest in the Tivo world. The R15 isn't bad and is getting better with every software upgrade. I think Tivo is still better because it is more stable with 3.1 but with 6.3 i am not so sure. I think the OS doesn't matter if it does it's job. I don't think Tivo is marketing their product very well, I hope it survives as it is a great product. Remember the Beta vs the VHS? Beta was better but VHS caught on. Just my $.02

8. Oct 1, 2006 #8 of 53
    jrock

jrock Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't think they will move the existing channels over to MPG4 and screw the HR10-250's because if they do then like you said why bother spending all this money on the upgrade. They will have ton's of PO'd customers that spent a lot of money on the HR10-250's if they do that. I think they can just shoot up more satellites for there other SD channels as well as HD and leave the existing ones in tact. They should leave everything as is right now and add all new programming to the new satellites so if people want the new stuff they get the new equipment and dish but for the people that are happy with what they have let them be. I don't see why they would be planning on doing something like this any time in the near future especially after going through with this upgrade and all the trouble and bugs they have had sending it back to TiVo and re sending it out to customers.

9. Oct 1, 2006 #9 of 53
    nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    My suspicion is that the update is the result of the latest support agreement that DTV signed with TiVo. DTV would like to replace all the HR10s with their own POS, but they certainly don't want to be forced to do it all at once because the software becomes unsupported. So TiVo had some small measure of leverage and it would make sense for them to insist that the software be updated to something more current as a condition of support.

10. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000
    I'm curious where you heard that the HR20 SD quality is superior ...and why that would be?

11. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    This makes no sense. If they wanted to replace all of the HR10s then they simply would not have renewed/extended the agreement with Tivo. It's not like they would have had to replace them all at once since the existing software was already out for years and relatively stable. Tivo 'support' would have been minimal and probably nonexistent. All they had to do was replace units as they eventually broke or from customer attrition.

12. jimmymiko

Mar 29, 2003
    Walworth NY
    Click Here

And Here

Not sure why but I have seen several post about it at the other forum. :)

13. Cy Jervis

Cy Jervis New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Florida

Judging from the people reporting problems after the upgrade, maybe it was to make people want to switch to a new receiver.

14. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    If DirecTV considered a "no support" scenario an option then why renew the contract at all? Do you suppose that DTV just enjoys sharing a portion of the DVR revenue with TiVo?

No, it would be foolish for DirecTV to put themselves and in a situation where a bug uncovered by a change in the datastream could shutdown thousands of subscribers with no recourse except to replace their receiver.

15. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    They waited until now because this was when TiVo had a modern version of the system software with MRV completely removed, just like on the series 3. (6.3 seems to be based on the same software that's on the s3.)

16. sjberra

sjberra New Member

May 16, 2005
    Eventually they will - remember there are no new HR10's coming into the market channel line anymore, all that are left are the refurbs.

17. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Uhhhhh....it's been the plan for 2 years now. Within 2 years if not less there will be no more HD channels via DirecTV the HR10 can receive. They are moving all HD to MPEG4 once the 2 new sats go up next year. At that point the HR10 will only be able to record OTA HD (and of course any SD content).

18. WeBoat

WeBoat Member

Nov 6, 2002
    SWFL
    Personally I think it was a pretty smart marketing move.

The S3 is released. Quite a few customers with HR10-250's are frustrated because they do not have the latest software, folders, speed, etc.

Personally, I was considering getting the S3 and dropping DirecTV. Then magicaly the talk is out there that my hr10 might be getting the new software. So, I stop thinking about the S3 and adopt the wait and see attitude.

Now I have the new software. It's mostly ok, a little buggy, but they will fix it and I'll just wait and see if the S3 is viable and how the HR20 works out. In the meantime, I'm still sending DTV my whatever a month and not giving it to comcast.

Seems like the timing was very critical to my case. I wonder how many other HR10 owners out there had the same thought process?

19. jrock

jrock Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well that royally sucks. I hope when that happens they loose a lot of loyal TiVo customers like myself. I can't get OTA where I am. I already have the S3 though so I will probably flip flop the setup I have. Now I have the super DirecTV premium channel package and just basic Comcast to get the locals in HD. So when DirecTV does that I will switch to the lowest DirecTV plan for the better quality SD and switch Comcast to the high plan to get all those HD channels.

-Joe

20. Krookut

Krookut New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    I'm in the Philly locals market, but as a Jets fan love getting the NY HD network feeds. I will sorely miss them when forced to go MPEG4.