Why couldn't Cox's solution work for D*

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by BBREAL, Aug 24, 2006.

1. BBREAL

BBREAL New Member

May 27, 2004
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

I just read that Cox inked another deal with Tivo that allows a version of Tivo software to be downloaded to their existing DVRs ( that were not Tivo ) giving these DVRs all the popular Tivo features such as wishlist, etc.

Would that not allow us to have MPEG 4, Hi-Def and Tivo?

BBREAL

2. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    Possibly. Lots of things can technically work, however, if the company (DirecTV in this case) has no desire for it, then you are SOL.

Rigfht now, D* thinks that they are better off using their own tech for their DVR's.

3. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    DirecTV would have to allow (and probably pay for) TiVo to write software and make it available to owners of DirecTV hardware like the HR20.

DirecTV doesn't, at least publicly, currently want that to happen.

That's why it isn't.

4. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme New Member

Nov 13, 2003
    ohio
    Its really pretty simple.........$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

5. BBREAL

BBREAL New Member

May 27, 2004
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

all understood, but they can simply make it an extra cost option over and above what they were going to charge. It will be interesting to find out if cox had to pay to write the software. I would guess no.

6. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    I am sure they are "paying" for it in some way... be it a portion of the DVR Fee (like the DTiVo fee), or in some other way.

There is no way TiVo is licensing the software for free, let alone a customized version for their hardware platform.

7. BBREAL

BBREAL New Member

May 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    If they are able to pass it along though, doesn't that serve their purpose? D* didn't want to pay TIVO the few bucks per unit they are paying - still can't understand why they don't offer it as an additional cost feature.

When you buy a computer, you can get a stripped down version or the ultimate which includes other vendor's hardware and software added.

8. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Tivo developed a version of its software for the Motorola DVR platform -- as part of its agreement with Comcast. Cox will be using a version of that software.

I'm sure there is some licensing fee involved.

DirecTV was paying $1/mo per DVR to Tivo -- and they didn't want to pay anything. I'm sure the cable companies are paying even less then that.

9. BBREAL

BBREAL New Member

May 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I thought it was even more but cheap. I cannot believe they can't charge us something to offset the $1. I am paying $97 a month now, $100 won't change my life.

10. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    It adds up. DirecTV's DVR fee is $5/mo, so Tivo's cut was 20% of that. DirecTV sees it as an extra $60 million (5 million DVRs x 12 months) they can reap every year by replacing Tivos with their own solution.

11. BBREAL

BBREAL New Member

May 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    true enough, big $$s. make the DVR fee $6 and give the $1. Same $60M but they collect $60M more. I know its not that simple, but it isn't that complicated either.

12. lynesjc

lynesjc New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Simpsonville...
    I understand the rationale, but how much are they spending on R&D to develop an internal solution and how much will they lose in increased churn when people leave for the S3?

Surely, they've had this discussion internally before they decided to ditch Tivo.

13. BBREAL

BBREAL New Member

May 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    My thought is that Direct TV did not do their homework at all. They are not the only company to make a big move without understanding or forseeing the consequences. I came to D* because of Tivo, not the other way around. I feel betrayed having spent a lot of $ and still not knowing where I will be in a yr or so.

They should have done a little more market research.

14. willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    Problem with that idea is that most of the consumers do not see a $1 advantage to Tivo over the version of DVR that DTV has, so there would not be that many wanting to pony up the additional $1. So DTV doesn't think it would be profitable to offer the option. Kind of like "Why doesn't the motel give me the option of having the 'soft' toilet tissue in my room instead of that commercial variety 'hard' stuff? I'd gladly pay the $0.50 extra per night that it would cost them to provide that option." ;)

15. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    And since when did we all become Market Research experts?

Or when did "we" do any all encompasing market research to make the statement that it is TiVo and Sunday Ticket that keeps everyone with DirecTV?

You as an individual may feel betrayed... but there are other people that feel betrayed by the Cable Co's... (ask my brother in law, and a lot of his friends... who felt betrayed last year when Comcast moved Sci-Fi and other popular channels to the Digital Band, that then required them to pay for the more expensive package, and rent the digital boxes).

Hence why we have choices.. Dish, DirecTV, C-Band, Cable-Co's, Pure OTA
    You need to choose what service you want to spend your money on... period.

There is no ONE perfect carrier... everyone of them have their faults and issues.
    There is no ONE perfect DVR.... each and every one has some fault or issue.

So... if you feel betrayed... then switch.

16. BBREAL

BBREAL New Member

May 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Does anyone know how/have an interest in doing an online survey? I propose $2 extra for Tivo servive - not necessarily per box though.

17. harley3k

harley3k New Member

Jul 19, 2006
    I bet the Comcast and Cox version of Tivo will be really weak compared to Series3 features.

It's a different hardware platform, and I doubt it will support things like dual buffers, since the existing boxes doesn't do so now.

I just don't see it having the full feature set and support of the SA/S3 models. They'd certainly be eating into their own Series3 sales if they did that.

-h

18. tall1

tall1 New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    twin cities
    It's a silly survey. D* has an ego and a business strategy that does not include Tivo. They want to be a closed company and if the product or service was "Not invented here", they won't offer it.

19. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme New Member

Nov 13, 2003
    ohio
    Remember this is a Tivo forum. We all love what tivo does for us. But, 90% of the people that will be getting a dvr will have never used a tivo based machine and will think that the dvr they get is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have both, the r-10 and the r-15, and although I like the tivo interface better, the r-15 does a good job also.

20. BBREAL

BBREAL New Member

May 27, 2004
    Los Angeles

WOW, I have nothing comparable to switch to or I would. I don't disagree that there is no perfect solution for everyone, but when you already have what you want and someone takes it away, that kind of sucks.