Why can't we stream from Tivo DVR to Tivo stream 4K?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by jgolden, Dec 13, 2020.

1. jgolden

jgolden Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Orange...

Advertisements

Why can I stream from my Tivo's to an IOS or Android device, but not to the Stream 4k running AndroidTV?

pldoolittle and manders1405 like this.
  2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ecause ivo ucks

3. pldoolittle

pldoolittle Tivo'ing since 2001

May 2, 2002
    Because TiVo wants customers to move away from their DVR business so they can jettison it.

4. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    Yet they foolishly think this device will keep them from leaving TiVo for good?

Honestly the cable providers succeeded in getting me to give up on TiVo as I switched to cheaper alternatives.

5. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008

Advertisements

If Tivo provided a free OTT app for the Tivo Stream 4K, then it would probably kill sales of their expensive Mini Lux and WiFi adapter.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm honestly starting to think it's because TiVo just sucks. They promised us streaming apps like this 4-5 years ago and it never happened. Then they said last year they were scrapping them all except the AndroidTV version, and that still never got released. The Edge was just a minor hardware refresh of the Bolt and they somehow managed to release that with breaking bugs, some of which still haven’t been fixed. And the TiVo app on the 4K feels like something that was thrown together by one guy in a few weeks and is barely useable.

Maybe they've just laid off their entire engineering staff and are subbing this stuff out to guys on fiver now, I don't know. But they haven’t done anything quality in at least a few years.

7. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Why work on it when everything is going IP?

That's the answer. There is no reason to put resources into a feature with no future.

8. yzguyfl123

yzguyfl123 New Member

Dec 21, 2020
  9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    But 5 years ago when they first promised it that wasn’t the case. We could have got several good years out of this feature if they’d actually delivered it on time. Hell it was like 8 years ago when they released the FireTV "beta" app. It didn’t work great but wouldn’t have taken more than a few months work to get it up to snuff. They let that just rot for years before they pulled it.

mschnebly likes this.