Why can't Tivo sleep?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tkoyn, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1 of 29
    tkoyn

tkoyn Member

Oct 14, 2007

Advertisements

I have wondered for some years why Tivos can not be set to sleep during inactivity instead of always recording the last 30 minutes of whatever channel was last tuned. I would like to see an option added to every Tivo to allow the user to turn off the buffer and sleep when inactive, spinning down the hard drive and going into a low power state. The TiVo would then wake when a remote button is pressed, when it is almost time for a scheduled recording, and periodically to call in or handle internal housekeeping.

I would think that Tivo would be hearing complaints from those who care about the environment, as every Tivo drawing power from a coal fired power plant is adding more than it needs to global warming. And it would seem that sleeping during significant periods of inactivity would extend the life of the hard drive as well.

2. Sep 2, 2008 #2 of 29
    Lazlo123

Lazlo123 New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Anybody REALLY into saving and caring about the environment shouldn't even have a TV anyway... much less a Tivo. They should be out enjoying the enviornment they are wanting to protect, not watching TV.. Unless they're more of a fair weather enviromentalist.. only caring when American Idol, or 24 or some other show isn't on...

3. Sep 2, 2008 #3 of 29
    MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I guess they could, and do it like the Cable DVRs that turn off the buffer when you turn the DVR off.

Personally I prefer to keep it on, but maybe they could make it an option.

Not a big deal, IMO.

4. Sep 2, 2008 #4 of 29
    AdmiralTivo

AdmiralTivo You talkin' to me?

Feb 25, 2005
    What is the power draw of a TiVo anyway?

5. Sep 2, 2008 #5 of 29
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

I wish they would add a search function to forums - oh wait....

I think environmentalists get to chill out and watch some TV as well :rolleyes:

There is no sleep option as the whole idea is the TiVo is holding buffers for me. say someone gives you a call at 3am and says bad weather alert or whatever. You turn on the TV and say cool I can back up the 30 minute buffer and get the last full update. Sometimes my season passes go to an alternate showing at 2 or 5am becuase of conflicts. It would suck if some other setting killed that. Suddenly the feature is not that easy to program up.

there are threads here where people have used meters on the outlet and found the TiVo does not draw that much relative to say PCs or other devices that do benefit from sleep periods.

however if you really do want to save a bit of juice - then setup a 5 minute recording for various times of the night that tries and record from a channel with no signal. that will stop the 30 minute buffers and thus reduce power going to the hard drives, which is about the only thing in a TiVo drawing power.

Google has done extensive research on hard drives though and has found constant activity versus only periods of activity has no effect on the average life of a hard drive.

6. Sep 2, 2008 #6 of 29
    stickysurprise

stickysurprise New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    The reason the tivo does not turn off is beacuse the tivo downloads program info and software updates. If you turn your tivo off you might miss getting your program info or update.

7. Sep 2, 2008 #7 of 29
    tkoyn

tkoyn Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Yes this should be an option. And choosing to enable continuous buffer would turn off Sleep when Inactive. I would turn the buffer off because its only useful if tuner was left on desired channel.

8. Sep 2, 2008 #8 of 29
    tkoyn

tkoyn Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Still they should make the device energy efficient.

9. Sep 2, 2008 #9 of 29
    tkoyn

tkoyn Member

Oct 14, 2007
    It would wake once daily to do this even if there are no recordings to make that day and then go back to sleep.

10. Ennui

Ennui San Diego

Sep 2, 2008
    There is a power cord with a plug on mine.

11. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    I have a comcrap DVR that sleeps, hate it. If TiVo ever did this it better be an option I can disable.

12. Krosis

Krosis The Bearded One TCF Club

May 9, 2004
    Illinois
    SD DirecTivos stop recording the buffer if you put it in standby, they also immediately re-allow suggestions. Powering down the HD is another issue though and may require a complete re-write of the OS. Tivos are never truly idle, they are always processing recording schedules and updating information.

13. Mike_TV

Mike_TV Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Vista Media Center goes to sleep, wakes up when it needs to record something and then goes back to sleep.

14. elzool

elzool New Member

May 6, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    My TiVo is powered by coal and baby seals.

15. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    According to my Kill-a-Watt, my S2 (230 model) consumes 33 watts when "on" (no matter if it's recording or not) and 32 watts in standby. My THD consumes 41 watts when "on" (whether both tuners are recording or not) and 40 watts in standby. I didn't measure my S3 since I didn't want to reboot it.

16. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    well that is interesting and not what others have posted. so even if you put the tuner on a channel with no signal and wait a bit for the buffer to stop recording there is no power drop? That would mean the hard drive just keeps spinning then.

17. Krosis

Krosis The Bearded One TCF Club

May 9, 2004
    Illinois
    I'm not sure what you mean by "What others have posted", was that in other threads?

The HD in a Tivo spins all the time, it's inherent in the way it's designed. Not recording the buffers might save a little bit due to less head movement, memory management and CPU time, but I wouldn't expect it to be a lot. The MPEG encoders might be drawing a bit less but I suspect they are processing everything anyhow, even if it's not being used.

Memory tells me a HD simply sitting there spinning tends to draw about 10 watts. There's an awful lot of fudge in that number though. It's actually probably to high, 8 might be better. I suspect most of the power draw is from the electronics itself. Hey, that "brain" takes some juice to do it's magic!

18. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    They did. My DirecTV tivos draw less power running, than the standard, non-dvr receiver (which the tivo replaced) drew when it was turned off, as measured with a kill-a-watt. I wish I could remember the exact figures. The difference was around 5W.

It's a moot point anyway. If you're looking to your tivo to save power, you're looking in the wrong place. Unless your household usage is under 500kWh/month already, there are other places to look where you can save more kWh with less effort.

I don't want to discourage anyone's conservation efforts, but the first thing to think about is to focus your efforts where they can produce the most benefit.

19. leemoreau

leemoreau New Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Montréal, QC
    For me its not so much the power but just the use of the hard drive. When I go to bed there's no need for it to keep recording whatever channel I had it on last. Just shut down and go to sleep and kick back on for a recording. Even if it took 30 seconds from cold start to ready to go that's completely fine for me. I don't care about power, I'm thinking more about wear and tear. Why have the hard drive spinning so much its obviously going to reduce the life on it.

20. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Yep. I wouldn't expect the drive to spin down just because there's nothing to record. It's my understanding the drive is always spinning, until you pull the plug. :rolleyes: