Why cant TiVo be smarr enough to look at its displayed "first aired" date?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by abovethesink, Nov 21, 2014.

1. abovethesink

abovethesink Member

Aug 26, 2013

Advertisements

I understand the new tag. I understand the 28 day window. However, so much boxing on regional sports networks gets picked up by my wishlist that I cannot stop because it has a false new tag. TiVo itself will display a first aired date clearly showing it is not new, but the new tag trumps. I want this wishlist to be my top priority, but I cant because these unstoppable false hits can cause conflicts. I already had to delete SNY from my channel list to mitigate the problem even though I would want to watch some college sports on it!

Dear Roamio, if the first aired date is in 2000, the new tag is wrong! Why won't you ignore it for my sanity's sake?

EDIT: I cannot edit my title? Weird. Can a mod fix that typo for me?

2. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Sounds like your beef is really with the people who supply the data to Tribune Media and not TiVo. GIGO

3. abovethesink

abovethesink Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Not really. These are pretty obscure broadcasts so I am not shocked that the data isnt't perfect. What gets to me is that the TiVo can be taught to know that the new tag is wrong given the first aired date info, but that doesn't happen.

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What, there is no "new tag". The "NEW" badge is, as far as anyone outside understands, simply calculated by within X days of the "Original Air Date", that you can see in extended info for a show.

Please give *way* more info. If a show has NO guide info, you will sometimes see something like a "first aired" date, but that is simply the date THAT THE SHOW ITSELF premiered, not that specific episode.

5. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

A program can have a first aired date in the past and be new. This can happen with foreign productions that first aired in another market and be new to the market you reside. Movies tend to have a first aired date that isn't actual their first air date but their actual release date instead. There are reasons that the first air date may be a week, month or years past.

6. gigaguy

gigaguy Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Happens to me all the time with Sat Night Live. Almost every week I get 2 recordings, the currently broadcast show and usually a show from the 1970s, as 'New. It's annoying but could be much worse. Hapenned on other shows too, but very few, but SNL is this way every week...

7. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    How would it be taught?

8. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    +1

TiVo doesn't make this stuff up, it just processes whatever data they get from Tribune.

9. flashedbios

flashedbios Member

Dec 7, 2012
    why cant you be smart enough to spell smart correctly

10. spinjockey

spinjockey New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Along those lines it'd be nice if there was a way to avoid re-recording shows you already have (when "record[ing] all") or preferably those you have already watched and deleted.

E.g. I watched season 1 of a show, missed beginning of season 2 so I set "record all" of show so I can catch up on season 2 but have to delete season 1 recordings.

11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Do you have any idea how many posts & threads I've read on the guide? Must be zillions. Anyhow, if you really care about it, double check Zap2It.com since TMS owns them. That's the raw data and usually 99% accurate. TiVo will mess it up sometimes for the non-standard schedule, like things from Canada, the U.K. or if it's news. But you can't win, so go with it and make the best of a non-perfect situation. You'll live longer. :)