Why can't my Roamio find my Bolt?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by HarleyRandom, May 6, 2020.

1. May 6, 2020 #1 of 18
    HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015

Advertisements

In the list of DVRs, my Series 2 and Series 3 are there. My Bolt keeps appearing and disappearing. It is listed but a different color with an exclamation point and an error message says the Bolt can't be found. I called tech support and they said it was a known software issue. Once day the problem seemed to be fixed, for whatever reason. Then it wasn't. And My Roamio couldn't connect to the internet. Unplugging my Roamio and plugging it back in fixed both problems, but as of last night the Bolt is gone again.

Why did my WiFi go out?

2. May 6, 2020 #2 of 18
    Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    If the TiVos are connected by wifi. That is likely the problem.

Mikeguy and PCurry57 like this.
  3. May 6, 2020 #3 of 18
    jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Instead of unplugging the Roamio, try a ui refresh, something I had to do all the time with my Roamio.

From TiVo Central, try:

Thumbs Down
    Thumbs Up
    Play
    Play

Not Connected to Internet

4. May 6, 2020 #4 of 18
    Wayoverpar1

Wayoverpar1 Member

May 19, 2017
    Coeur d'...
    There have been some strange issues with units seeing each other. I have 2 Bolt's and 2 mini's all on are Ethernet connections that have been inconsistent over the last month. Even though each unit shows no network issues and show up under devices, they don't always connect. In order to fix the problem I have to force new network connections on all units and reboot my router.

5. May 6, 2020 #5 of 18
    Scott9mm

Scott9mm Active Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC

Advertisements

I have a similar problem. Have a a Premiere and Roamio+ on MOCA, which always see each other. I also have a S3 HD and a Basic Roamio on my Ethernet LAN. Right after reboot the Plus and Premiere see the other two boxes and will stream/transfer fine, one time. But after connecting to an Ethernet box the Plus and Premiere show those boxes as unreachable or not at all. However, KMTTG and TiVo online Manage website always see all boxes normally. I tried the UI refresh but it made no difference.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  6. May 6, 2020 #6 of 18
    HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    The Roamio is connected by Ethernet cable and if you go to the other thread, that was also a problem.

Rather than spend the money on a second one of those (the first one cost over $20) I use Wi-Fi for the Bolt if it works. I could use the cable from the Series 3 (assuming it would work with Wi-Fi) but it's too short.

The Series 2 can only work with Wi-Fi.

7. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    And last night the Bolt was there, after having not been there the last time I checked. I'm not aware of anything I did to change that.

8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Sometimes, it's the wireless connection to the router--it can come and go. Years ago, TiVo told me that there is a known compatibility issue between my Roamio Basic DVR and my AT&T-supplied router that can cause the connection to go, every now-and-again--restarting the Roamio box or the router re-connects.

9. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    Just to clarfiy, the Roamio has a cable, and the Bolt has Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi no longer works with the Roamio.

10. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    You said:
    Bolt connected to network via wifi.
    Bolt comes and goes from list of connected tivos.

My experience with tivo over wifi is why, my 3 tivos (and everything else) are connected via ethernet cable.
    Your experience may vary...
    I suggest connecting the bolt with a ethernet cable to verify its stability on your network.

11. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    And as I have stated, this would mean the Roamio is on Wi-Fi, which worked when I first got it, but doesn't work at all now. The cable connected to the Series 3 is too short. There's not really a way to move the Bolt or the Roamio. It's not really worth it at this point to pay $20 for a new cable.

And the Series 2 will only work with Wi-Fi. I think that was established.

How do I move my Yule Log?

12. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Understood.

Have you considered using an ethernet switch?
    New RJ45 MINI 5-Ports Fast Ethernet Network Black Switch Hub for Desktop PC | eBay

13. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    I'll look into that. I have a short cable which must have come with the Bolt. I was wondering if I could hook that up to the Series 3 cable like I did with the phone line when I was using that for the Series 3. I don't know when, but one of these days I need to go to store where I bought the computer. In the current situation I would benefit from a microphone and a camera, and I could see if they have that.

14. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Plan on spending big money to get a decent web cam, that works...
    Also, there are free apps that will allow a phone camera and mic to connect to your computer via wifi.

15. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    Okay, I don't need to do this, then. My plan was to use Skype to talk to my 90-year-old aunt.

Very basic phone so I doubt this will work.

16. Stephen Kuchera

Stephen Kuchera New Member

May 29, 2020
    I have a Roamio that is connected to WiFi and I am trying to also connect a bolt to WiFi and keep getting a NO2 error

17. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    The Roamio keeps finding the Bolt and then losing it again after several days or weeks. The last time I lost it, I decided to unplug the Bolt and see what that would do. Now the Roamio can find the Bolt, or at least that was true last night.

18. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    I had to transfer some shows off my Roamio because it's getting full again. Before i did that, the Bolt was missing again. After I did it, it was back.

I also had to unplug my Bolt. My monitor and modem keep coming unplugged and I was going to buy something I could plug them into which would in turn plug into the surge protector. The store was out so I used what I already had. Turns out my Bolt, its antenna, the TV and my new electric razor can all be plugged into my new surge protector, whose cord was too short for it to be in a convenient location. Or so I thought. Actually, one of those is plugged into the wall because my vacuum cleaner has to be plugged in as well.