Why buy a Stream?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by brewman, May 8, 2014.

1. May 8, 2014 #1 of 162
    brewman

brewman Member

Jun 28, 2003
    This is not meant to be a troll; I really don't see the value of the Stream, and I'm wondering why people have purchased them over something like a Slingbox.

I have been a TiVo owner since the Series 1, and currently have a Romio, two Premiers, and two Series 3's so I'm definitely not anti-Tivo.

I guess the biggest question I have is the Stream's utility particularly when compared to a Slingbox. There's very few instances I can think of where I would want to use it while I'm in my home, and the only way to use if outside my home is to pre-download recorded content to my iPad is a PITA compared to a Slingbox.

So, why did you Stream owners buy the Stream?

2. May 8, 2014 #2 of 162
    lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Um, why do you say that you'd have to pre-download content? It can stream or download?

With how slick the Ipad app is, its so easy to use. Hopefully the snazzy update Tivo is promising finally rolls out Android streaming... and a new android app that's even close to the IOS version in quality, and performance. Additionally, other features like more controls over the quality of the video stream would be great.

I picked mine up because it was on clearance at one point at BB for <$80, so I figured what the heck... Yeah, its been a work in progress, but its been improving with stability and performance with software updates. It has worked well for me the few times I have streamed outside of home.

I technically have two streams right now... guess I should pull the plug on my stand-alone one, one of these days :)

3. May 9, 2014 #3 of 162
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Having both (Stream built into Roamio Pro), I've come up with a few reasons:

STREAM ADVANTAGES
    * If you have a very poor connection there is nothing you can do with Sling - it will look really bad or constantly stall making things unwatchable. With the Stream solution you can set it to download for a while to build up a buffer and then start watching and the quality will still be one of the 3 pre-defined quality levels.
    * Again for poor connections the Slingbox 350 can take up to 20 seconds or so to respond to a button press while the iOS app response is pretty close to real time, so trick play is much more seamless compared to Sling.
    * Slingbox requires you take control of the box, so that box can't be used by someone else while Sling is in use. With Stream solution everything happens in the background.
    * With Slingbox you are restricted to whatever box it is connected to. With Stream solution any series 4 or higher unit on the network can be streamed from.
    * No clunky IR blasters needed.

SLINGBOX ADVANTAGES
    * Client can be any web browser vs Stream restricted currently to iOS mobile devices only
    * Gives better video quality vs Stream streaming mode given the same low bandwidth
    * Much higher quality captures possible (1080p H.264 up to 7 Mbps)
    * Does not suffer from encoding issues and A/V sync issues which I have encountered with the Stream.
    * Not restricted by any copy protection nonsense since it's using analog outputs
    * Can be connected to any box that has analog outputs
    * You can capture and save video unencrypted from any analog source

Bottom line is it's nice having both options available, but these days I try and use the Stream whenever possible first, with Sling as a backup option.

4. May 9, 2014 #4 of 162
    eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    There are people who only know the Tivo product line, when Tivo came out with the Stream it was targeted for are those who want a one vendor solution.

Some people don't want to add this, add that and do this and make that work. The general expectation is that a mobile streaming solution provided by Tivo would work with a TiVo (not saying it does or not just strictly commenting on the marketing strategy).

Stream may work for some, Slingbox is for others. At least there is a choice.

5. May 9, 2014 #5 of 162
    brewman

brewman Member

Jun 28, 2003
    I was under the impression that you can't stream outside your home network. Is that not true? If that is still true then as I said in my post the only way to watch content outside your home is to pre-download it to your iPad before you leave home.

6. May 9, 2014 #6 of 162
    brewman

brewman Member

Jun 28, 2003
    I guess if I could find one now for < $80 I'd probably get it too on the off chance that TiVo may actually live up to their promise some day and support streaming when you're not at home. If they solve that issue then the Stream is a big win IMHO over the Slingbox.

7. May 9, 2014 #7 of 162
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Not true. OOH streaming went live around 9 months ago, so not sure why you had that impression.

8. May 9, 2014 #8 of 162
    tre74

tre74 Member

Nov 11, 2010
    I bought a Stream when it was introduced to market. We are a two iphone and one iPad household. I could load shows to take to the office or to take on road trips. It was worth it to me for this feature alone, but the introduction of out of home streaming made it more usable. It works well when connected to two good networks. If you are sending a show over a meager network and receiving it over another meager network, things can be choppy.

9. May 9, 2014 #9 of 162
    brewman

brewman Member

Jun 28, 2003
    Perhaps the FAQ on Tivo's site: https://www.tivo.com/shop/stream

[​IMG]

If the Stream actually does support OOH streaming then I will return the Slingbox I bought yesterday and get a Stream. Will someone else confirm OOH works?

Thanks

10. May 9, 2014 #10 of 162
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Yikes. Clearly, that needs to get updated. The same chart exists under the Roamio FAQs and it shows the right answers of YES.

11. May 9, 2014 #11 of 162
    brewman

brewman Member

Jun 28, 2003
    Well, it seems the Stream does support OOH so I will now happily get one, and return the Slingbox. Thanks to everyone for their help.

12. May 9, 2014 #12 of 162
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Keep in mind that for copy protected programs OOH streaming and/or downloading doesn't work, so if you recording from cable channels and have one of those cable companies that copy protects most everything then OOH streaming is not an option.

13. May 10, 2014 #13 of 162
    bootman_head_fi

bootman_head_fi Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Unless you have a newer wireless router that has a VPN server feature.

If you use that you will always be "in house" and can then stream everything.

14. May 13, 2014 #14 of 162
    bayern_fan

bayern_fan Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Except for in-home streaming on iOS, Slingbox 350/500 over component is usually best

No restrictive CCI bit concerns, better adaptive streaming, and works on Android/PC/Mac

15. May 15, 2014 #15 of 162
    Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    I have a stream and use it in the rental house we are temporarily in to stream content to the bedroom as we only have one cable outlet in the whole house so the tivo is in the living room. We have time warner cable so the stream value is somewhat stunted by TWC's decision on what they allow, but this is a cable company issue, not a tivo issue.

I used to travel internationally a lot and having the ability to fill an ipad for 12-14 hour flights was awesome. In addition, being able to reload my ipad from the hotel or watch a show in Beijing was a pretty cool feature (Chinese TV sucks for the most part.)

The stream is $99 and requires no contract of any time. It's a cheap toy that does what it needs to do. I just don't understand the angst and arguing about it. Yeah, it can't cook a pizza or cure cancer, but it's a good device to have.

16. May 15, 2014 #16 of 162
    jimmypowder

jimmypowder New Member

Oct 24, 2013

17. May 15, 2014 #17 of 162
    bikegeek

bikegeek Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Amesbury, MA
    I bought the Stream when it first came out and it has been great. It seemed to be having issues due to getting a little warm, so I turned it on its side and the issues have resolved.

Downloading to my ipad it great for times when I am without wifi and I don't have to rely on bandwidth for OOH streaming.

18. May 15, 2014 #18 of 162
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I'm not finding that at all. In fact I find I'm using the Sling less and less these days and much prefer using the Stream. I'm even using the Stream in home quite a lot these days for times when I have to be more quiet in viewing than on the big TV. The Slingbox has its value as does the Stream.

19. May 15, 2014 #19 of 162
    Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Jimmy just keeps forgetting that this is not winner take all. People can have multiple devices if it helps them do what they need to do. If these were $1000 devices I could understand the angst, but come on, they're $99.

This isn't religion, it's entertainment. If it works for what you need it to do, then buy it. If it doesn't, then don't. Best Buy is full of things that I don't need, but I am ok with that.

20. May 16, 2014 #20 of 162
    jimmypowder

jimmypowder New Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Here is how i see it:
    Audio Quality- Better on Slingbox by far.
    Video Quality-Better on Slingbox by far
    Premium Content-Can be played on Slingbox,cannot on Tivo.
    Remote Control-Tivo is better then the Slingbox.
    Connectivity-Much better and more stable on the Slingbox.
    Slingbox Grade -A- if they get the lag fixed on changing channels,etc it would be an A

Tivo Grade- C- Has potential to become an A but lots of improvement
    is needed.