Why are Wish Lists Sorted by Date and Time ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by paul_w_downing, Sep 1, 2007.

1. paul_w_downing

paul_w_downing Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Lake Orion MI
    Maybe this is an obvious one, but I could not find it.

If Tivo is for time shifting why does a wishlist like "Action Movies" have to show me every single time that a move is on ? I really don't need to know that "Rambo" [just and example] is on 5 times a day. Just show it to me once. Tivo can sort out any tuner conflicts. The wishlist returns 200 results and every 5th one is a duplicate. This way I only really see what is on for the next 2 days instead of 14 days. (this was much worse when I had DirecTivo because of all the PPV's that were in the normal listing 195 PPV's and 5 shows on "broadcast")

I want to just load up my DVR todo list with shows I want to watch sometime in the future. I really don't care if they are on today or a week from today.

I've tried suggestions, but I get more junk than I want. You can only spank TiVo so many times before you get bored and turn the feature it off.

Any tips welcome. I find myself watching Comcast OnDemand more than my Tivo these days for movies. I'm really just using my Tivo for TV series.

2. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    I fail to see that as a problem. I do however, see your solution to be a problem. If I'm looking at my WL's for something to watch tonight, I really need to know when things are on, not just that they will be on sometime.

3. paul_w_downing

paul_w_downing Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Lake Orion MI
    I see your point, but it would be nice to have a way to do both. To me the point of Tivo is to be free of time contraints of what is on when. I know that Tivo will get me the shows I want eventually. Again I care more about what is on vs. when it is on. I just want to have a nice selection pre-recorded when I actually do find the time to watch.

I was wishing that someone would have a trick or undocumented featuer to tell the wish list to sort alphabetically or by rating or at least ignore duplicates so every 5th show is not a repeat.

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Then you want a Season Pass, not a Wishlist. Or choose an Autorecord Wishlist and you don't have to check it.

5. paul_w_downing

paul_w_downing Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Lake Orion MI
    Seasons pass is only if I already know what I want to watch. AutoRecord Wishlist does not work for this topic either, as you get too much junk.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I guess there is not a way to use Tivo for this feature in the way I would prefer.

Some analogies might be.

Going to the Video Store walking to the SciFi Isle and walking down it until I see something interesting to me. I don't want to see every copy of "xxxxxx" that they have in stock, just one box. I also don't want to rent them all (autorecord) in case I want to watch one later. I want to fill my cart with about 10 of them that are coming up in the next 2 weeks out of the 1000 that are available.

Netflix is sort of like this example as well.

Now that I think about it......

Tivo (at least Direct Tivo) used to have a feature called showcases that did exactly what I wanted. It would list (only once) the top 20 SciFi movies coming up in two weeks. I could quickly scroll through the showcases in the catagories I wanted and then pick a few to record.

Oh Well, I must be in the minority in the way I want to fill up my Tivo.

Thanks for the help

6. mchips

mchips TiVo Fanatic

Feb 21, 2003
    Midwest
    All TiVo's had this, and I liked it as well... don't know why they eventually got rid of it...

As far as the WLs, I guess I, too, like to see all of the upcoming programs, so I can decide for myself which date/time I want to record. But I can see validity in your request, and having an option to do either could be a nice addition.

You should make that suggestion on their form here:

http://research.tivo.com/suggestions/2web519.htm

7. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    It's not a perfect solution, but you could always use an Auto-Record WishList set to only keep ten episodes-- that way, you'd always have ten shows to choose from.

8. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Instead of a wish list maybe you could use the filter on the guide to select the movies you want to record. But then you would have to manually select which shows to record every two weeks.

Or use a title search on movies. Type in the letter "A" and all movies show up in alphabetical order.

9. paul_w_downing

paul_w_downing Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Lake Orion MI
    Thanks all for the tips. Does not look like there are magic codes for this one. I will (when time permits post a suggestion for a feature improvment. Or start a campaign to get showcases back the way they used to be. I have to assume this was all automatically generated as well, I don't know why they changed it to a place to hold ads.