Why are VoD pay options now the default instead of just Record?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by redgiant, Oct 28, 2014.

1. redgiant

redgiant New Member

Oct 28, 2014

Advertisements

tl;dr
    I want the 'Record' option to once again be the default first option always since, you know, that's why I bought a Tivo.
    --------------------------------

If my Roamio is what everyone else is seeing now after updating, I'd think there are more then a few people peeved at this change.

I don't use or care to even see pay options. I pay a monthly fee to Tivo, and yet still have had to put up with the ever-increasing bloat of ads, pay options and any trick they can come up with to get you to spend more money.

To the point ...

I record a lot of shows from the weekly program schedule, like movies and shows in the next few days which are not season passes.

How can I configure my Roamio to once again show 'Record' as the default option instead of all that VoD crap now stuck in front of it? I could not find any option to disable all pay/VoD options which I don't have and won't use.

Why wasn't this junk added down the menu list anyway instead of the very first default option? You don't change the long-established muscle-memory default like that, except when purposely trying to weasel into people's habits. And it isn't even consistent, because it keeps changing depending on whether that particular show is VoD-able or not as to if the option is there (and first).

Entering a PIN as protection against accidentally charging me isn't what I mean; I want VoD options either not showing at all or at the very least not the default since I will never, ever use them.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You mean you record from the guide? Hit the record button instead of select.

3. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I assume you mean that if you drill down on a particular show, you are presented with "get from" options. And that some of those options may be free, like Netflix or pay such as some Amazon.

You can turn off all of the OTT apps if you would like. I am not near my TV, but it is under settings / video providers.

Once you turn them off, you will not see as an option.

As jrtroo said, you don't even have to get to that screen to setup a recording for the show - just hit the record button.

4. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    I think it is actually under Settings --> Channels --> My Video Providers.

5. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007

Advertisements

That's it! Thanks

6. redgiant

redgiant New Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Thanks, that did it.

Although I could have sworn I had previously unchecked things like that long ago and forgotten about it.

Can some updates or reboots reset them to all checked? Maybe that's why it only bothered me to see them show up like that; most people already have those unchecked if they didn't want to see them.

7. dcrowell77

dcrowell77 Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Does turning off the providers remove the results from the search as well?