Why are TiVos so hard on hard drives

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Lrscpa, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Lrscpa

Lrscpa Member

Apr 20, 2003

Advertisements

Seen it dozens if not hundreds of times here...

My TiVo is pausing, freezing, clicking, dead, etc....

Response is dead hard drive, and I'm sure that Weaknees and Ptv have made a a good portion of their business of selling drives for dead TiVos.

In five years, I've had to replace my hard drive twice on my Sony SVR-3000.

In 20 years of owning and working on PCs, I've only had one drive fail.

Am I nuts, or do TiVos seem to kill drives???

2. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    On the other hand, in my group of close friends, 9 Tivos were bought between 5 and 6 years ago, and all are running just fine with the original disks.

However, TiVo power supplies are wimpier than PC power supplies so if your power isn't fairly clean, it may affect the TiVos more than the PCs.

3. ExcelGal

ExcelGal Math is our Friend

Sep 26, 2005
    Minnesota's...
    Have you ever run a PC for 5 years, continuously writing to the drive? That's basically what TiVo does. It's got to be one of the toughest environments there is for a harddrive. I think 5 years sounds like a good run.

4. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    Very true. Actually, I have never used a computer for over five years without upgrading. Just the nature of my business.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...

Advertisements

Of course, most folks don't come here unless they have a problem. The posts here are not representative of the actual Tivo hard drive failure rate.

6. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Not only that, but think of the environment it has to operate in.

Most people have their PC's out in the open, whether on the desktop or on the floor next to their desk. Unless your desk is in cramped stuffy closet, ventilation isn't an issue.

However, many if not most people keep their A/V components in some sort of enclosure, whether it be a TV stand, an armoire-type enclosure, or a specially-built cabinet. If those enclosures aren't properly vented, heat can quickly build up. Heat is the biggest killer of hard drives.

7. Slicker

Slicker New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    yep, I was having stuttering issues with my sony series 1, then switched my A/V cabinet under the TV to storage, and got an open component stand. Since then, no stuttering.

Heat is very very bad for electronics

8. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA

:up:

I think the failure rate is about the same as a PC hard drive.

9. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Agreed. :up: