Why am I unable to watch TiVo on my Slingbox?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by buscuitboy, Aug 20, 2016.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area

Advertisements

I have a Slingbox PRO hooked up to a 4-tuner TiVO Premiere. The slingbox is connected via the Premiere's component outputs. However, when I go to watch this TiVo on my SLingbox Pro app (Apple and Android), I am getting an onscreen message stating the follwing:

"HDMI connection not permitted. Press SELECT for more information"

I can see the channel playing in the background, but having this message on the screen makes it pretty much unwatchable. I have rebooted the Premiere and Slingbox several times each. No luck and I keep getting this message. I always thought connecting via the component connection avoids this.

I have a Slingbox 350 hooked up to another TiVO via the component connection and it works fine.

Any idea what is going on here and how to fix it?

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Component does avoid it. You must also unplug the HDMI from the TV it's connected to. If you want to watch that Tivo on the connected TV as well, use component for that connection too.

3. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    Exactly.

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It depends on the TV. The original poster may have to tv that requires that even if the tv is off. In that case, I would just run component to the slingbox and out of the slingbox to the tv.

5. tampa8

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL

Advertisements

When the TV is off IS the problem, never a problem when the TV is on. That is what he meant about unplugging the HDMI from the TIVO to the TV, for when the TV is off and you are away.
    You need a component to the Slingbox, and component to the TV as he posted, or the HDMI from the TIVO to the TV must be unplugged when using the Slingbox because when you are away the TV will be off. If the TV is on no need to unplug the HDMI cable.
    One way is to go through the Slingbox but not the only way. Some prefer an HDMI to component converter to maintain two separate connections, others an HDMI splitter that ignores HDCP.

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Yes, that is what I said.

Also, sometimes this can be fixed by disabling the quick power on mode on the tv (this is called something different on different tvs).

7. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I think we're all on the same page. It varies from one tv to another. But in this particular case, unplugging it entirely is a simple solution.

8. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    The HDMI splitter is easiest/most simple, elegant solution that still provides HDMI quality to the TV.

9. tampa8

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    I was responding to this where you said even if the tv is off... it would only be when the TV is off that you would need to unplug the HDMI. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by even if it is off?

"The original poster may have to tv that requires that even if the tv is off"

I think we are all saying the same thing overall...

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Though Macrovision goes over component too, right? I am pretty sure I have one Tivo connected to my Toshiba XS32 hard drive/dvd recorder with component, and it still sometimes gets copy protection warnings.. (I know it's connected from component to the TV.. but I thought it was component to that too...)

Though you mean a powered splitter, right? So that's always using power, regardless..

11. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    True. But in this case you always get a warning simply because both HDMI and component are connected at the same time. Disconnecting HDMI or splitting it (depending on the splitter) solves the problem. I'm sure there are a few things that will still be a problem even over analog, but I haven't encountered that, even on my protected channels like HBO. But HBO Go works better than sling in that case anyway.

12. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    unfortunately, this is not an option as the TV has only one composite/component combo type connection and its currently being occupied with an older Pioneer receiver (that then has a DVD player and Wii connected to it). Therefore, I need to figure out some way to keep the HDMI connected and still functional

Unfortunately this occurs with the TV on or off.

I actually have a HDMI splitter connected to a Slingbox 500 on another TV that was purchased solely to strip the Macrovision protection & warning message for HDMI viewing. It works great with this slingbox 500 so I think I may try to use it on this Slingbox PRO to see if it helps as well. If so, will get another one.

13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Why not feed the component through that receiver also?

Scott

14. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    The Pioneer Receiver is just too old and does not have component connections of any kind. Strictly composite connections only. Its from the 90s and I dragged it out of the closet. "repurposed" it in a sense in order to be able to have the Wii and (older) DVD player on this TV.

15. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    So no S-Video options on that receiver either?

16. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    Nope. Strictly composite connections on the pioneer receiver. Not sure that would matter anyway as no s-video connections on HDTV either