Why 1T strorage different with DTV and Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MVPinFLA, Apr 30, 2015.

1. MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida

Advertisements

I haven't used a Tivo since HDTV came out many years ago. I moved over to a Comcast DVR, then moved to DirecTV to get a better DVR. It was better; but I am ready to finally return to Tivo. It is the best. My question is about the Roamio Plus with 1T of storage. Tivo says that it will record 150 hours of HD. My DirecTV Genie with 1T records 200 hours. I would have thought that it would be the same. Does DTV use a different compression than Tivo?

The reason I am asking is that I am happy with the 200 hours; but with only 150, I might need to get a larger hard drive. Any help would be appreciated.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    TiVo does say up to 150 hours. My math indicates that would work out to 150 hours at 6.6GB for each program. In reality, HD programs can vary quite a bit. I have ABC running about 3-4GB/hour and CBS running about 7-8GB/hour. So if space is an issue, you can get a bigger TiVo or add a larger drive. I have no idea where the 200 hours comes from.

3. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    Don't confuse marketing claims with facts. As Joe points out, file sizes for hi def recordings vary. It is trivial to replace a hard drive in a TiVo Roamio, I suggest you ignore the differences in claims about recording capacity.

4. telemark

telemark Active Member

Nov 12, 2013
    (modern) Satellite video distribution uses more modern codecs than elsewhere because satellite capacity is precious to them.

Elsewhere is CableTV and AntennaTV. We're talking mpeg4 vs mpeg2. mpeg4 cable boxes for a long time were more expensive than mpeg2, so very few cable operators migrated, but it's a matter of time as the price difference is now basically $0.

Both DVR's are recording what it receives. DirecTV is fitting/transmitting 1hour of HD in less bits than mpeg2 cable systems. mpeg4 cable systems would start making this comparison more apples to apples.

5. MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida

Advertisements

I appreciate all of the responses.

Joe,
    Are you able to see on the TiVo how many gigs an hour of a show is using?

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Yes. For free you can get kmttg and see the bit rate also. With the TiVo the size of a show is at the bottom of the Info display. You normally need to scroll to see it so it's not a popular item. I should mention that Fox and most basic 1080i/5.1 cable shows are 6-7GB also. TiVo itself doesn't have a bite rate indicator. It does have a network transfer speed diag and an internet download speed indicator that doesn't work anymore. The size of a program on my TiVo is always the same when I copy it to a PC or another TiVo, so I do trust the numbers.

7. MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    Thanks so much. That is good to know and most helpful.

I had originally planned on getting a 2 gig Pro through Weaknees; but the $99 lifetime with buying through Tivo is hard to pass up. I will be researching internal and/or external upgrades.

8. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    To upgrade a Roamio all you have to do is drop in the new drive.

9. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    There is a very long hard drive upgrade thread here. The bottom line is: the hard drive replacement is almost at the level of plug-and-play--buy the new hard drive (often recommended: Western Digital WD30EURX), remove 1 or 2 screws on the back of the Roamio case and slide/slip off the Roamio lid, remove a few screws and remove the hard drive assembly, remove a few screws to remove the old hard drive from the side rails, and then reverse the process using the new drive; a few Torx screwdrivers needed. For up to 3TB replacement drives, the Roamio will do everything itself as to setting the hard drive up--no prep. is needed.

VoilĂ ! :)

10. MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    I have been reading those and several thread linked to them for quite a while now, so I didn't get to see your posts until now. Thanks for the advice. It is appreciated

11. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Multiple drives is not recommended as any failure will cause recordings to be lost and no way for recovery.
    It is easy just to swap out the original drive for a drive up to 3 TB. About 450 HD hours, estimated.
    $99 Lifetime? There is no such deal for Roamio, only for older models that are still on monthly Tivo Service.
    Regular Lifetime is $499.99 and $399.99 for secondary Tivo. DTiVo does not count.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    But to be clear, so far, this works for only UP TO 3 TB drives. (Wow, I'm saying "only" with 3 TB.. But mine is full from last fall sometime!!)

Now > 3 TB drives are becoming fairly commonplace.

(And the originator should remember, in this method, you lose all current recordings -- unless you download un copyprotected shows to a computer or other Tivo if you have one on the same acct/home.. but you could put the drive back in later to watch shows off of that drive..)

So yes, the process is now MUCH easier, but we're hitting the "cheap drive" limit already.

13. MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    I decided to just get the Roamio Pro, since I saved so much on the Lifetime. The lifetime was $99, since I have had a lifetime subscription for an old SD Tivo that I got 12 years ago. If you search some other upgrade threads you will see posts about it. A great deal indeed!

14. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    My first S1 Tivo had lifetime for $199 in 2000. (Recycled after transferred lifetime)
    My 2nd was a S2, $299 (Sold)
    My 3rd is a S3, $199 transferred from a rare offer from the S1.
    My recent is a Roamio, $399.99.

There has been an offer floating around on and off where you can get a RPlus/Pro and $99 lifetime for Tivo customers 10+ yrs and was not sure if its still active or not because had not heard of it since January.