Who likes their TiVo Premiere?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Oberon2007, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Dec 6, 2010 #1 of 49
    Oberon2007

Oberon2007 New Member

Apr 10, 2007

Advertisements

Since I placed my order a week ago to upgrade my HD to a Premiere, I have read a lot of messages here and it seemed like the vast majority of people who do have the Premiere regret getting it. That can't be the reality, so who has not had any problems since they got their TVP and really likes it?

2. Dec 6, 2010 #2 of 49
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I like mine, although "really like" would be an overstatement. Here's a few of the high and low points:

* The Premiere does almost nothing that my HD didn't do.

* I've only experienced one lockup in my 2-3 months of ownership.

* I've experienced maybe a 2-3 incidents that weren't lockups but were minor glitches that required switching to SDUI and back to HDUI to fix.

* The HDUI is fast enough for me to use. It "feels" almost as fast as the SDUI on my HD.

* The HDUI looks better, although I've never used that stupid image bar that runs across the top of it.

* MRV transfer is significantly faster, and is something I do a lot of

* The purchase price is a good deal, although the current $20/mo fee isn't something I would pay. Lifetime or nothing at this point.

3. Dec 6, 2010 #3 of 49
    trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Really like it? It depends on what part of the Premiere I'm using.

As a pure DVR I really like it.

But the rest of the stuff? Don't really like it because it is too slow or behind the times and so I don't use really use that stuff.

As a DVR I really haven't had any problems except the annoying Delete Bug, lack of HDUI responsiveness and 1 freeze-up.

I think the disappointment folks feel is because, while the Premiere is still the best dvr, it's also evidence that Tivo is slowly receding back into the sea of forgotten tech companies.

4. Dec 6, 2010 #4 of 49
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    this is an internet forum and as such the majority of folks posting are those with problems. The forum thus looks skewed to problems when the bulk of TiVo owners are not having issues and are not inclined to find an online forum to post in.

5. Dec 6, 2010 #5 of 49
    JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA

Advertisements

I would buy a TiVo Premiere in a heartbeat to replace a Motorola or Scientific Atlanta cable box. I would seriously consider the TiVo Premiere or a Windows 7 Media Center PC if I only wanted over the air HDTV reception. Moxi wouldn't warrant a look due to its lack of over the air reception.

However, I don't feel a compelling need to upgrade my Series 3 TiVo to the Premiere. The new iPad app looks pretty appealing, but probably not good enough for me to spend $500 on an iPad and another $470 for a TiVo Premiere with lifetime. Now my in-laws who have an iPad and currently are using a POS Scientific Atlanta DVR from aptly named Cox Cable... well, they might get a Premiere for Christmas.

If you have a TiVo series 2 or earlier, or if you have a crappy cable company DVR, by all means get a Premiere. If you already have an HD TiVo, the new model disappointingly did not "reinvent the DVR" despite the overdone marketing hype.

6. Dec 6, 2010 #6 of 49
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I do. No issues here. Also, Zeo is correct, there are few individuals here looking to praise something, for most it just works. I, for one, would have never participated if I did not want to upgrade my HDDs. Which I have done here, with ease.

7. Dec 6, 2010 #7 of 49
    Goldwing2001

Goldwing2001 Goldwing2001

Sep 30, 2006
    Honolulu,...
    I love my Series 4 Premiere. I upgraded from my Series 3 the same month the series 4 was made available.

8. Dec 6, 2010 #8 of 49
    musictoo

musictoo Member

Oct 8, 2003
    Love mine. Still have my S3, and 2 S2's.

9. Dec 6, 2010 #9 of 49
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I really like my Premiere.

10. Oberon2007

Oberon2007 New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Thanks everyone for replying. I have always hated the fact that only people who have problems with something will talk about it. It was like that for me when I was having problems with my iPhone 4. I complained too much and didn't talk about how much I liked the phone.

11. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I love the fruit loop lights. But it'd be cooler if they danced.

12. HockeyFan

HockeyFan Guest

Oct 9, 2010
    It's my first tivo and I like mine a Lot. Came from comcast and fios dvr's.
    Went through the math of 'it take this long to pay off the box' and 'this long to pay off the service' .

First week I decide the box was paid off before the cable install. After the cable install I decided the lifetime service is already paid off. Money well spent. No regrets.

Only issue is the hour glass 'cyan circle' comes up sometime when going through 'my playing list' Usually when recording something. Hopefully drive not going bad.

13. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I agree with the above except I did my 4 upgrades after software v14.6 came out and I have never had any lockup/reboots, at this point I don't use the HDUI as I find no real advantage to it (for me) and my wife finds it too confusing. I connected my 4 TP/TPXL to the new TiVo N wireless adapter (now on sale on the TiVo sight for $110 for two) and can xfer a 1 hour HD program in less than 10 minutes !! love that. I got into the 11/13 6th av deal at $95 so I got Lifetime Service on all. All four of my TP are upgraded to 1Tb or 2Tb drives, sold off my 4 Series 3 TiVos ending up putting up almost no extra money for the total upgrade, YMMV.

14. milo

milo New Member

Feb 15, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I like mine, but it doesn't have the magical quality of the older Tivos. I'll like it a lot more when the HDUI is quicker and extended to all of the other pages in the interface. I stick with the HDUI because I like the PIP, which I consider to be a must have after having it on the Comcast DVRs for years.

15. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Me

16. HockeyFan

HockeyFan Guest

Oct 9, 2010

No news is good news. You should only hear if someone is having a problem or needs help.

I had many posts for kttmg program. Nothing wrong with the program. I just had trouble using it from the start

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    oohh!! oooh!! Don't forget me!!:D I love my tivo premieres. They are the best TiVos I've owned in the nine years i've been using TiVos.:)

18. dlramsey

dlramsey New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Count me in.

19. DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    Count me in the Love my Premieres column. I have two, one regular, one XL. Much more stable and soooo much faster than the HD they replaced.

I keep one in HDUI mode and one in SDUI mode so I can keep a pulse on which I like better. Still not a clear cut winner for the new UI, but I'm willing to wait for more improvements.

20. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Absolutely. That's me. I encountered the last straw with my SA cable box from comcast and decided tivo had to be better. I was right about that, but the gap between the tivo I'd design and the actual tivo I got is still pretty large. I can't say I really like the tivo, but it is far superior to the comcast alternative.