Who is having spontaneous reboot with Elite?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by nandopr, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1 of 344
    nandopr

nandopr Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    Hello everyone!

I have two new Premiere Elite. They are both getting "spontaneous reboot". Sometimes I am on bed at night and I hear the Elite fan spinning very fast and then slowing down. (I know the pattern, it is rebooting).

My old Premiere did not have this problem.

Also, sometimes when I change to a SDV channel I have to press "select" several times before I tune in into the channel.

Maybe is software related but I know I am in the minority. Most folks are not having problem at all.

Cable diagnostics shows:

Signal Strength 92
    SNR 37db

The same for both Premiere Elite.

I know that the cable company installed an amplifier long time ago. I am planning of getting rid of the amplifier. Just to test it.

The signal strength without the amplifier is about 83 or 85.

Will my Elite work well with 83 or 85 signal strength?

Curios about other people with the same issue. I did search the forum, but would like some updated comments and information.

Thank you

2. Oct 26, 2011 #2 of 344
    djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had reboots the first week with the Elite while doing a lot of transfers from my S3.

Since then, the reboots have ceased. I hope it stays that way...

3. Oct 26, 2011 #3 of 344
    andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    I assume I get a reboot every few days. I come home and all menu bar positions have been reset. It's never happened while I'm home.

4. Oct 26, 2011 #4 of 344
    nandopr

nandopr Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    I hope this will not affect my recordings. I hope it will go away eventually.

Thank you for the information.

5. Oct 26, 2011 #5 of 344
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    AFAIK I haven't had a reboot other than the one time I tried to transfer multiple items through TiVo Desktop.

6. Oct 26, 2011 #6 of 344
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Yes, this is a know problem with the Elite and the current software level.

Please make sure you are reporting these to Tivo when you see them. They can enable some extra logging as necessary.

See the thread in my sig (especially first post) for other known issues.

7. Oct 26, 2011 #7 of 344
    nandopr

nandopr Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    Thank you Jfh3.

8. Oct 26, 2011 #8 of 344
    seakurt

seakurt New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Mine JUST had another reboot while I was watching a recorded program and recording on 1 tuner. This is the second or third spontaneous reboot (that I know of) in a week. Twice now when I was recording so getting two separate files for a program with several minutes missing.

I read somewhere that it might be happening if you are using the SD menus -- I was, but just switched back. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Thanks!

9. Oct 26, 2011 #9 of 344
    PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    I'm using HD menus and I'm getting the spontaneous reboots...including just a few minutes ago. The Mrs. and I were watching a show and it just locked up about 20 minutes in; two other things were recording. After being frozen for about 30 seconds it rebooted. I've searched back through shows and I'm finding the occasional partials. Hopefully the patch is coming soon.

10. Oct 27, 2011 #10 of 344
    todd_j_derr

todd_j_derr Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Pittsburgh,...
    I've only had my Elite less than a week. I had it reboot on me a couple times while using the menus but just now it rebooted although I hadn't pressed a key in probably 2 hours. I looked up when the sound stopped, the picture froze for a couple seconds and then it rebooted.

I have HDUI enabled but I was just watching TV (full screen). Nothing was being recorded. I haven't done any transfers, and I don't have a TA. I use wired ethernet. I do have a slider remote and the BT dongle.

Definitely disturbing. Is there any way to look at logs like on the S1?

11. Oct 27, 2011 #11 of 344
    todd_j_derr

todd_j_derr Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Pittsburgh,...
    Ok, it just rebooted again, this time I was deleting messages and it hung for a few minutes then rebooted.

I also got a response back from Tivo saying the problem could be due to the signal which I have to say sounds like a complete load of crap to me even if there is some kind of signal problem - which I doubt considering I've had a Moxi connected to the same cable for 1.5 years and a Motorola box before that and never had an issue.

Regardless, my signal strength and SNR seem to be within their limits, signal is 86-92 depending on the channel and SNR is 34-36 which is at the high end of the range (really though, not enough noise is allegedly a "problem"?). I have a ton of RS uncorrectable and correctable on all 4 tuners but I'm suspicious of those numbers because they are not incrementing at all and I am having zero video problems.

I rebooted twice, well, the one time it rebooted itself and the other time I pulled the power. I tuned to 4 different channels, and if I go look at those values the "uncorrected" has been high, in the 4000-6000 range. Corrected is either pretty low like 20 or high like 500ish. But, 10 minutes later if I check again the values are identical, they are not incrementing at all. They did all change across the (cold) reboot though.

So, I don't know... I'm actually getting to like the Tivo but random rebooting is completely unacceptable, especially when you get answers like this from support that don't inspire much confidence.

12. Oct 28, 2011 #12 of 344
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I had mine reboot last night, but I was messing around with how many HD streams I could get it to read and write. I had it reading and writing eight HD streams concurrently without issue, but then I tried accessing it from another premiere and tried to initiate a transfer to make it do nine concurrent HD streams.

That caused a reboot, and then it seemed unstable for a while since it would boot up and it seemed to try and continue all the streams and recordings I was doing concurrently.

It rebooted three times. When I stopped that box from trying to transfer a ninth HD stream it stopped rebooting and has been fine since then.

I won't be trying that again, anytime soon.

13. Oct 28, 2011 #13 of 344
    nandopr

nandopr Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    If this is a software bug related issue I hope that Tivo will fix it eventually.

I remember when I got the Premiere some time ago I was having some problems. Then after a couple of software upgrades my Tivo was stable.

My SNR is close to todd_j_derr. Signal is around 93.

14. Oct 28, 2011 #14 of 344
    tvhank

tvhank New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    I've had reboots the first two weeks I got the Premiere Elite. I really tried to narrow down what could be causing the problem but it seems random. I've had it when I was watching a show, watching live TV or when I am transferring a show from another Tivo. I've even had it happen when I just finished a show and left it sitting on "My Shows" screen while I was doing something else. I thought at one time it seem to happen about 30minutes - 2hours after I forced a connection until it rebooted without me forcing a connection. Knock on wood, but it hasn't happen to me for a couple of weeks now.

I let Tivo know about the problem but of course they are blaming on either too strong of a signal, unclean electricity, bad MCard, etc. I just don't think it's any of that since the Elite replaced my old THD and is using all the same cables and cards and electricity. Hopefully the reboot never happens when I'm recording something.

15. Oct 29, 2011 #15 of 344
    baleog6263

baleog6263 New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    I've had mine installed for about 18 hours now... 4 reboots that I know of.
    Once during guided setup before I even installed the cable card or connected the coax, once while recording a show/navigating the main menu, once while just watching live TV, and once watching a movie on Netflix.

Support tried to blame an invalid video signal... I told them I disagree since it happened before I had anything connected, so they had me move to another power outlet. I highly doubt it's a power issue since I haven't had any problems with the other devices on the surge protector I was using (including my S3) but I'm willing to play along just to rule it out.

16. Oct 29, 2011 #16 of 344
    Tivogre

Tivogre Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    I'm having spontaneous reboots about every day and a half on one Elite.

The other one has not spontaneously rebooted (that I know of) but it is watched much less frequently.

My Premiere and 2 Hd units are as stable as always.

17. Oct 29, 2011 #17 of 344
    gpejsa

gpejsa Active Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Hanover MD
    Got another spontaneous reboot today...happened while I was away for 10 minutes and came back to see my football game was no longer on (and the tivo startup screen was present). I'd say this is about the 6th reboot I've observed in the 3 weeks (approx) I have had the device....

18. Oct 29, 2011 #18 of 344
    todd_j_derr

todd_j_derr Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Pittsburgh,...
    Now they want me to do some goofy procedure where I'm supposed to remove the cablecard, and disconnect the cable and ethernet and see if it crashes. I bet if I remove the power cord as well it would be practically guaranteed not to crash, and just as useful to me as with everything else disconnected. Seriously, I'm supposed to leave it like that for how long in order to "prove" something? I mean, it hasn't crashed now in 2 days AFAIK, so I guess it would have to be longer than that.

Do they realize the sheer ridiculousness of that suggestion? Do I get these "idle" days added to my 30 day trial? It's a shame because I think aside from this issue I'm on the "keep it" side of the fence, but it's going to be hard to accept random reboots.

19. Oct 30, 2011 #19 of 344
    djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just had my first random reboot with my Elite in over a week of uptime. Not happy... :thumbsdown:

Before now, I had 3 or 4 reboots in the first week, then nothing until now.

20. Oct 30, 2011 #20 of 344
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Hooked up my Elite on October 13th and had my first reboot last night. It occurred at approximately 10:15PM while I was watching USA HD and recording another show. My cable system is Cablevision and the signal strength rarely if ever goes below 95-96%