Who else has given up on both DirecTV and cable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by isbellHFh, Aug 31, 2008.

1. isbellHFh

isbellHFh New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta GA

Advertisements

So, I've finally killed DirectTV. No more DirecTiVo with HD irks me. I haven't gone to cable because, honestly, I refuse to give money to Comcast.

So where does that leave me? Well, now I get my fix from OTA on two TiVo HDs, and I get my non-OTA from iTunes or on disc. Even with two children with a Disney/Nic fix (and my own adult swim issues) I save enormous amounts of $$$ this way. By my calculations, I could buy 30-40 non-OTA *seasons* on iTunes and still come out ahead.

The aTV is a great companion to TiVo for me and has a huge convenience factor. The latest software, in fact, has made the difference between synced and streamed content all but invisible, so it's all just seamless.

I wish I had done this a year ago. As most TiVo users know, surfing loses its appeal with a TiVo anyway, and now I've taken to searching around YouTube when that urge strikes me. I think the only thing I miss is Sportscenter, and that's mostly an illusion because I haven't really watched it in years.

2. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Any particular reason why?

3. isbellHFh

isbellHFh New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    I have had really bad experiences with them in the past. I was going to try to let bygones be bygones, but then I did the math and it just didn't make any sense for me to go cable (in terms of $$$) given my viewing habits.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    With a TiVoHD, the only options are OTA, FIOS (if available in your area), and downloads (none in HD yet, for the TiVo, at least that I know of). Other devices will open your online or physical media possibilities.

5. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...

Advertisements

I don't even have OTA. I use the TiVo exclusively for downloads, either things I download from Unbox and the like, or things I download to my PC and then transfer to the TiVo. It would be nice to have OTA directly, but I don't think I'd have a great signal in my building, and I don't want to bother to find out with the digital switchover happening in a few months. I have a S2 and I don't want to have to have an external box. Downloading shows from the networks works just as well, albeit not as automatic as when I had TiVo to do it for me.

I have to ask on the assumptions for saving money with 30-40 seasons though. Most series I watch tend to have ~ 20 episodes per season (less last year because of the strike of course), at $1.99 per show you are looking at $40 per series. If I take the low end and assume 30 series to download, that still is $1200 per year, or $100 per month. Was your cable bill really that high just for TV? I cut out cable once it got to be above $20 per month.

6. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Fortunately for me, I have a third option - FIOS. I had Comcast years ago for TV and more recently for wideband internet. It will be a cold day in hell before I go back to them. I dropped DirecTV because FIOS had a better picture and at least as many HD channels at the time. Of course, DirecTV has upped the ante with regards to HD channels but FIOS is about to catch up. I just received word that they're adding a lot more HD channels as of Sept. 17th and they promise to have at least 100 HD channels by the end of the year.

I do use OTA in conjunction with a HTPC that has six ATSC tuners. Another reason I dropped DirecTV was the fact that they only offered four HD locals in my area whereas with a rooftop antenna I can receive up to 14 HD locals from two different markets (Baltimore and D.C.). FIOS also offers locals from both markets but DirecTV is limited to providing only one due to Federal law or some such nonsense.

7. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I'm in the same situation as the OP. I dropped cable for my Series 3, and use OTA for HD + Internet for other stuff.

I did however keep basic cable (local channels + shopping channels) for my Series 2. I'm currently looking into which converter box to get for it, once I settle on one it's OTA only for that too, I think.

I use YouTube on the Series 3 more than I thought.

8. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    even if you do something like the triple play?

9. isbellHFh

isbellHFh New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    When you buy a season pass on iTunes it usually costs less than the sum of the individual episodes. Burn Notice (season 2), for example, is $29.99. It appears that once you let the season go all the way through, the price sometimes goes up, but not always (the 13 episodes of Prison Break Season 3 is 23.99 not 25.87).

The price of cable depends a lot on what channels one wants, of course. The number of series I care about that aren't on OTA *and* that I wouldn't buy on DVD anyway is really small. I think I'm at about 10. So that's somewhere between $300-$400 a year.

10. isbellHFh

isbellHFh New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    As I say somewhere else, I end up around $300-$400 a year. Part of my problem, BTW, is that the bundling never seems to work out for me. To get the minimum I need, I end up jumping up a tier more than I care.

At my height I was doing about $110 a month. After I dropped down to the minimum I needed to get stuff for my kids, I was down to $68 a month.

11. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    I thought S2 of Burn Notice was only 8 or 9 episodes, and then they stopped until next Feb? Regardless, the full season discount is way too trivial in my mind to make much of a difference. They would have to discount closer to 50% to get my notice...but I've had basic cable included with my rent for the last couple of places I've lived, and before that never spent more than $10-$20 per month for basic cable... so I've been conditioned to think of TV as a basically free service. Hard to go from that model to a pay per episode model.

We're on basically the same page though. We've got probably 15 series that we watch throughout the year, but that is including series that have been canceled long ago, that we're just now catching up on with Netflix. My preference is to get as much shows through regular Netflix as I can, then others through streaming (either from Netflix, Hulu, or the channel website), if none of those work then I'll buy a few episodes from Unbox...

Speaking of which, any particular reason you prefer to use iTunes over downloading direct to TiVo from Unbox?

12. isbellHFh

isbellHFh New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    This price includes the upcoming episodes in February so it works out.

I was using iTunes/Apple TV before Unbox (you can download and rent directly from AppleTV rather than your computer) so I never got into Unbox. Also, it's a one-stop shop for me: I watch video podcasts on the AppleTV as well as my computer (mostly They Might Be Giants because my kids love them); rip DVDs into iTunes (again mostly for the kids) and watch them both on aTV and my machine (again the kids like that); and of course I have lots of music (bought directly and ripped) there.

aTV is basically a networked iPod with a very nice interface and that works for my needs... and because I have a Mac with a RAID, the automagic transfer between the two (not to mention the iPods) means proper backup without me having to think about it, so there you go.