Who do you complain to about copyright flag?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by RTPGiants, Jan 11, 2012.

1. RTPGiants

RTPGiants Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Time Warner recently started setting everything on Comedy Central (non-HD) to copy-never which is annoying my wife who was taking Colbert/Daily Show on her iPod to the gym. I realize this is probably their "right" to do so, but has anyone successfully convinced a provider to change?

2. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Complain to EVERYONE. Complain to the company. Complain to your congressman/senators. Complain to the BBB. Complain on Planetfeedback. Complain on Twitter and Facebook.

You just need to catch one ear who will listen.

3. takeshi

takeshi Member

Jul 22, 2010
    That is the million dollar question. I recall a recent thread where the OP indicated that he/she had successfully found who to contact at the OP's cable provider and successfully got the company to change the CCI flag but I doubt there's a one-size-fits-all answer to your question. It's going to take persistence so don't expect an easy solution.

4. tivohaydon

tivohaydon New Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Actually I don't believe "copy never" is within their rights for a channel like that.

5. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I believe someone had complained to someone at Charter (?) in Arizona (?) and the person just switched off the CC flag. My guess is that it either wasn't supposed to be on in the first place or the person should not have had the authority to turn it off.

Like I said, complain to EVERYONE. Someone will listen. Complain to your town government too!!

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Complain to Comedy Central and find out if they are specifically requiring this of TWC (not just of cable companies, but specifically of TWC), or if TWC are just being their usual corporate dickish selves.

If CC aren't specifically requiring this of TWC, find out if either of the satellite providers do it on their own, and if not, you might mention that in passing when you tell TWC you want this situation rectified. Also try to have a copy of a Comedy Central email stating that they do not require this of TWC to show to TWC.

Of course if Comedy Central does insist on this, she'll have to start recording the analog feed, if TWC hasn't killed it yet.

7. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    You may be able to get around the copy protection by converting the file to another format and then copying the converted file. I did that with copy protected music I downloaded from iTunes using Replay Converter. No guarantee but it's worth a try.

8. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If it's flagged, getting it off of the TiVo in the first place is the problem.

9. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    My TWC blocks EVERYTHING except locals. I've complained to them before and they claim that they only block channels that request it.

I guess the religious channels, QVC, CNN, etc all request to be blocked. Uh huh, sure.

Don't bother complaining to them. They'll just lie to you.

10. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    It's funny how every company reads the same set of guidelines yet each gets their own interpretation. Now they're saying the channels are requesting the flag be set. I wonder how much that "request" cost them or does TWC just get a discount on what they pay for the content???

That's free enterprise at it's finest. This is one area where I'd like the see the FCC intervene with a common set of guideline so everyone in the band can be reading the same sheet of music...

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    TWC is affiliated with TW, a content provider, so their natural inclination is to keep you from getting anything "for free", just because they can.

If there was some way they could make money off of you copying it to your computer from your TiVo, and more money off of you copying it to a different TiVo from the computer, I'm sure they'd be all over that with software that was even worse than TiVo Desktop.

12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    You mean a TWC system wasn't already protecting Comedy Central ? -- someone there slipped up! This is an old issue that has been extensively posted on these forums and for which many letters have been written, including by me (to no avail). The law permits TWC to assign this copy protection even if the content provider doesn't request it. If the provider insists on NO copy protection, they could refuse to enter into contract with TWC but obviously this hasn't been the case (since there is plenty of content on TWC). Good luck fighting it but 99+% probability you're wasting your time.

13. steve771

steve771 Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Screw 'em, go OTA. You'll never get anyone to listen, let alone do anything about it.

And they wonder why so many people do torrents? Jeez! :rolleyes:

14. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Excellent point, I guess we should be happy we're not being further gouged...

As an old poker player used to say, "go home while you still have a dollar"...

15. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Sometimes when I see the "do not enter" icons on programs, I yell at the TV.

Then I walk in the other room and watch the show.

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Complain to the FCC. The FCC was the ones who required cable cards in the first place, so I believe they have jurisdiction over this.

17. [NG]Owner

[NG]Owner Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Kansas City
    Complain to the nearest windmill ... it'll have the same result.

[NG]Owner

18. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Don't you think a cable card is better than having a cable box? Especially with a 4 tuner Tivo...

19. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    Complain to Tivo for their MRV scheme. Tivo has known for years MRV has been rendered useless by the cable companies setting the CCI byte and Tivo has done nothing to address it.

Only the latest Elite and Premiere software implements streaming functionality. Buy one of those and enjoy streaming until Tivo decides you need to purchase an Elite II or Premiere II, and starts removing functionality on your obsolete box.

20. E94Allen

E94Allen New Member

Oct 16, 2005
    I think almost everybody here missed the point here as OP said copy-never which is legal only for PPV and maybe OnDemand and it is illegal for provider to put copy-never flag (0x03) on any other channels therefore you might want to file complaint with the FCC against the provider you are having problem with this issue.