Who decides what shows your family watches?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by WhiskeyTango, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Nov 3, 2011 #1 of 28
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I'm single so I have full reign on what I watch. I also have enough spare time to 'research' all the new shows to see what might appeal to me. But I was wondering how this works in a family situation. What if there are conflicting shows that you and your spouse want to watch? Who gets the final say? Do the kids get any input or do you decide what they watch? How would kids know about shows like Once Upon a Time that appeals to them or do you, as parents, say "This is something we can watch with the kids"?

I remember as a kid, watching prime time shows like Alf and The Wizard. I don't think those were shows my parents watched with us. So how does it work in your household?

2. Nov 3, 2011 #2 of 28
    uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    I do.

And by "I", I mean my wife. Or my girls. Unless they're all asleep, in which case I do.

3. Nov 3, 2011 #3 of 28
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Depends on the show. There are shows I watch by myself, shows my wife watches by herself, shows she and I watch together, shows the wife watches together with the kids, shows the kids watch by themselves, and shows we all watch together. Having multiple DVR tuners to alleviate conflicts helps quite a bit.

My two oldest kids are 11 and 8, so we don't watch a whole lot of stuff together. So far, most of the stuff the kids watch is Disney Channel/Nickelodeon stuff, or reality competition shows that my wife likes (such as Biggest Loser, Idol, X Factor, The Voice, etc.). About the only stuff we ever watch with all of us is America's Funniest Videos or Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.

4. Nov 3, 2011 #4 of 28
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Me

5. Nov 3, 2011 #5 of 28
    photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Haha of course! :up:

I live alone but there are shows me and my b/f watch together. Mostly I just watch what I want and if something appeals to him, I'll either rewatch or save it for when he's here.

6. Nov 3, 2011 #6 of 28
    Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    This.
    We have five DVRs.
    Everyone is happy.

7. Nov 3, 2011 #7 of 28
    YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    We have two Series 2 Tivos. Mine is in the bedroom, husbands is in the living room. I record a few things on his, but for the most part we watch very different TV. you guys think I like crap, you should see what he watches. :)

The little one doesn't watch anything except Toddler Tunes yet.

8. Nov 3, 2011 #8 of 28
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Don't have kids (thankfully) so I decide what I watch. The husband mostly watches separate tv. We like a handful of the same things, but the rest are very different. Life's too short to watch stuff you don't want to watch, so having a few TVs in the house works great. :)

9. Nov 4, 2011 #9 of 28
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    My kids are getting old enough that we can watch more things together. This is actually more of a pain than not, because they have to be in bed by 10pm and by the time they get done with after-school activities, sports, homework, and we all eat dinner it's usually 9pm. Plus, we're watching older shows like Sports Night via Netflix streaming and The West Wing via DVD. So things can pile up.

After 10pm, my wife and I watch shows we like. Luckily we like almost all the same stuff. And after she falls asleep (anywhere between 10:10pm and midnight :)) I watch some extra shows I like. She only has one show she likes to watch that I don't bother with: Glee. I watched it for a while but I'm done. She's not done yet :)

10. Crow159

Crow159 The CoVid Compadre

Jul 28, 2004
    Abingdon, MD
    The DVR in the bedroom is for my spouse. The DVR in the basement is mine. The DVR in my daughter's room is her's and the DVR in the kitchen is for extra recording if there are any conflicts.

We have Directv so with Whole Home DVR we can watch anything from any DVR in any room with a TV.

This works out extremely well for us.

11. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    We have basically one tv and one DVR.

Mornings are for kids shows.
    Afternoons are for kids shows.
    Kids Bedtime
    Evenings we try to watch one or two things we both like.

My wife watches some stuff during rare daytime freedom (Gossip Girl, LO:SVU). I generally don't watch much by myself as I just don't find the time.

12. Supfreak26

Supfreak26 Go Cowboys!

Dec 12, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    We have 2 DVRs. Kids use the one upstairs. Wife and I share the living room one.

Most stuff we watch together. She has some soapy shows that I don't watch but we have the same taste generally.

13. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    For the most part we record everything on our living room DVR, even a few shows that are just for me (Top Shot). But I mostly record my stuff in the basement (Sunny in Philly, Office, Tosh.0). Most of the stuff we watch we both like, which helps a lot.

14. The Spud

The Spud Rather be cruising TCF Club

Aug 27, 2002
    Kent, WA
    2 DVRS / 4 tuners. We all get to watch pretty much everything we want. On the rare occasion that there is a five way conflict, the daughter loses out and she has to watch her program online.

15. sakura panda

sakura panda Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SE Michigan
    I do. And not like uncdrew's "I", it really is me. :p

I don't know why, but it has always been this way -- my husband manages "live" tv and I handle all the recordings -- both setting up and playing back. This means that nearly all of the time I control it, unless I can't find something in the list to watch, and then I pass the control over to him. The kids just have to go along with whatever we decide.

We have two additional DVRs that we watch separately, but as far as when everyone is together, this is how we always handle it.

What tends to happen is that some shows pile up because I don't want the kids to watch them or because the kids don't want to watch them and talk through the whole thing so I just don't play them, or because one (but not all) of the kids *does* want to watch them with us.

Then, when we don't have the kids with us or they are in bed, the hockey game is on. :D

I'd like to find more shows that we can all watch together, and there is another thread around here about how happy everyone is that shows are more explicit and less subtle and family friendly. :p I guess I need a better way to find shows than watching the previews during shows I'm already watching, but even the previews during the shows we watch together are for shows that I either don't want to watch myself or won't allow the kids to watch. :eek:

16. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Pretty much how DevdogAZ laid it out. There are shows that only I watch, shows that only my wife watches, shows that we watch together, and shows that our kids watch. They are 5 and almost 9, so there's no overlap between parent and kid shows yet, although my son has watched Survivor with us on occasion (they mainly watch things like Phineas and Ferb, Zack & Cody, Wizards of Waverly Place, etc.)

We have 2 HDTVs with 2 DVRs for a total of 4 tuners, and we have DirecTV's whole home DVR setup, so it doesn't matter where the show is recorded, and that has alleviated any lingering complaints about being relegated to the den. My wife and I try to keep up the honor system about who watches what where, based on the show. She knows that I really like to watch football on the big plasma, so she lets me. I know that on her the night on her one work day she just likes to lay on the couch and watch the big plasma, so I let her.

We may have to get another TV and another DVR for our bedroom as the kids get older and stay up later, but for now this works for us just fine.

17. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Me.

18. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    I need to read that thread! Any idea what it was called?

I watched the first ep of Once Upon A Time and am trying to decide if it would work for my girls. I didn't have that in mind when I watched it so I think I just need to rewatch.

19. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Me, myself and I. :)

20. sakura panda

sakura panda Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Are network TV shows getting more explicit?