Whitney: Season One Thread *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Sep 30, 2011.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
  2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I actually enjoyed this episode, #2 "First Date", Sept 29. I like her character, she has just the right amount of craziness (IMHO, as versus New Girl, which I consider over-the-top craziness). She's cute, she's funny, her timing is great. I like the resigned acceptance of the boyfriend. The one friend who keeps taking off his shirt is a little wacky (bad wacky, not good), but I like the others.

SP survives!:up:

3. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    So you're saying that she's safely north of the Vicky Mendoza diagonal...

4. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    I think I like this show better than 2 Broke Girls (SP cancelled) and The New Girl (SP hanging by a thread). It's not great, but it's amusing so far. The laughter at things that aren't funny was very annoying at the start of the first episode, but I didn't notice it so much in the second episode. For me to stick with this show, it's going to have to improve a bit.

5. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    the laugh track in the pilot was awful...

6. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    Hey.......Is Whitney Flo's sister?

Coincidentally or maybe not coincidentally I got a progressive insurance (Flo) pop up while reading this thread.

7. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I liked episode 2 and never got to see the pilot. I round Whitney a bit annoying for the first ten minutes or so - when she was working so hard to make "first date" go right. Really enjoyed the boyfriend's charm in the bar at the end. That sold me on the show.

8. Oct 1, 2011 #8 of 76
    Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I watched episode 2 last night. At first, all I could think about was the laugh track. Solely because of this forum. :) When the show was almost over, I realized I hadn't noticed the laugh track since the very beginning of the show.

I definitely don't love this show, but I'll keep watching it.

9. Oct 1, 2011 #9 of 76
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I liked the second episode better than the pilot. Still not great, bit might have some promise. I'll watch a couple more to see how they progress.

10. GoodSpike

GoodSpike Active Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The husband didn't bother me as much the second episode.

11. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    we deleted the SP and the show itself after 10 minutes, completely unwatchable because of that.

12. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Are you talking about Whitney's girlfriend's husband, or are you talking about Whitney's boyfriend (not husband)?

13. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    My wife and I actually liked the second episode as well. A few funny things. It feels like the kind of show that might find its footing and become pretty good. Kind of an updated Mad About You (which we also really liked). Or else they could quickly run out of plots; we'll see.

We're keeping it... for a while anyway.

14. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    The second episode was better. The laugh track was less obvious to me (could have just been my mood, though). I like this more than Free Agents and both were teetering on the edge of deleted SP. My wife convinced me to keep both, actually, out of fear of our Dish DVR going rogue and deleting itself again, leaving us in dire straits, as happened two months ago.

15. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I liked the second ep better than the first. It's not great, but it's ok. It's a second tier sitcom for me (with shows like Community, The Middle, Modern Family, Raising Hope and TBBT as top tier of current shows).

16. GoodSpike

GoodSpike Active Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'm sorry, I guess it's the boyfriend.

17. nickels

nickels opinionated dope

Jan 11, 2010
    Warrington, PA
    This show is OK, but not quite clicking for me (especially that damn laugh track). I will keep watching because it isn't terrible and it does show some promise. I am hoping they tinker with it a little bit and make some improvements over the course of the season. SP remains, but hanging by a thread.

18. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    All the talk of laugh tracks has me noticing it now in shows like How I Met Your Mother.

19. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    SpongeBoobs SweatPants :D:p

20. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    I haven't watched any sitcoms for a very long time. My coworkers were bugging me to check out "The IT Crowd" on Netflix and "Big Bang Theory" on TV. So I did.

Wow... either I'd forgotten how annoying those laugh tracks are, or they're really ramped them up in the past few years. I couldn't believe how intrusive, fake and overall annoying they've become! :eek: