Whitney 9-22-11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by super dave, Sep 18, 2011.

1. super dave

super dave Friend Of The Court

Oct 1, 2002
    Maple Shade, NJ
    Came across the pilot episode on FIOS On Demand when looking for something to watch. Not to give anything away the wife and I enjoyed it. Yes it is a typical sitcom but there was enough new jokes and the eye candy factor was there. The cast needs to gel a little more, but it can be a nice time filler on the cold winter nights that lie ahead. I always enjoyed Whitney's appearances on Stern's show, so I gave this a shot and was not disappointed. Don't have to set up an SP since it is On Demand for us, but we will watch it.

2. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I surprised I don't see it available through Comcast On Demand, especially since Comcast has a controlling interest in NBC.

3. super dave

super dave Friend Of The Court

Oct 1, 2002
    Maple Shade, NJ
    I was surprised that it was there, I was also surprised we could fast forward NBC shows, last year we couldn't, ABC either. Guess agreements changed.

4. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I saw it on Comcast OnDemand. OK---I'll probably keep watching...

5. 2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    I'm confused. I watched an episode of Whitney On Demand through comcast on Saturday (9/17).

So, why is this thread titled 9/22? Is that when it's really supposed to air or somehting?

Super Dave
    Was it the episode that she wears the nurses outfit and the guy falls and hits his head?

6. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I haven't seen the show, the commercials they are airing to promote it aren't making me interested in it all as the jokes they're using I find forced and not funny.

I'll check back here in a couple of days and see what the consensus is. Perhaps the people that threw the commercial together picked the most unfunny scenes, or used jokes that don't do anything for me.

7. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    It's titled 9/22 because it's the original air date. And I stand corrected, I did watch in on Comcast On Demand. When I said I could not find it I searched On Demand from Comcast's webpage. But it is on via the cable box. I find that odd.
    As for the show, it's OK but nothing great.

8. nickels

nickels opinionated dope

Jan 11, 2010
    Warrington, PA
    Pilot episodes are tough. I haven't seen this yet, but we need to meet the characters and the premises all need to be set up. Also, lot of shows get tweaked after a few episodes so don't judge it too soon. I expect this show to at least last the season with all the advertising and hype.

9. 2004raptor

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    So, will the episode played on 9/22 be the same one on On Demand that I spoilerized above?

10. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Yes. The one that will air after The Office on Thursday night is the same one you've seen already.

11. 2004raptor

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    That's weird to me. Is this normal? I mean, why would it already be On Demand? Wouldn't it hurt the ratings on the "premier" night?

Maybe this is done alot but I rarely watch On Demand and seldom catch new shows on their first airing so I find this odd.

12. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It's not that uncommon for networks to "leak" their new shows a few weeks early. The idea is that premiere week is very crowded and their new show might get lost in the shuffle, so they're trying to increase the potential viewers by making it available either through different means or at different times. For example, The New Girl pilot has been available for several weeks on any number of different outlets, such as TiVo and Hulu. In the past, shows have magically showed up on BitTorrent, etc.

However, the networks have to be careful, because the entertainment press reports the ratings of the new shows, and if a new show gets poor enough ratings, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy: everyone hears that nobody watched, so nobody watches the next episode. So it will be interesting to see if Whitney has bad ratings this Thursday and then how those compare to the second week.

13. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I thought the previews for this show were awful and killed any interest for me in watching it.

I'm guessing that NBC leaked this particular pilot in order to try and build up some buzz about it.

But in addition to what DevdogAZ said, this may backfire if the pilot is generally perceived as awful as well.

14. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I watched this last night and thought it was ok. I already had it set to record on my DVR. Looks like I'll keep it until episode 2 at least.

15. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Hot chicks always get a second look, so I'll keep Whitney for a couple. Her blonde sidekick is actually the funnier one.

16. nickels

nickels opinionated dope

Jan 11, 2010
    Warrington, PA
    Thanks to this thread I watched it last night. The laugh track is annoying, especially since it says filmed in front of a live audience. The show felt scripted. Maybe these characters will get better, but it seemed like forced acting to me more then a natural interaction between characters. Some of the jokes were funny, some terrible. I did like her friends and the secondary characters more then the two main ones. I'll give it some time to gel, as it was a typical pilot with a ton of forced backstory into the show to give us insight into the characters.

It has promise, but I doubt it will ever be on the same level of Modern Family, Seinfeld, Friends, etc.

17. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I have it set to record and will give it at least two episodes.

18. nickels

nickels opinionated dope

Jan 11, 2010
    Warrington, PA
    FYI - Whitney is on Stern right now talking about some of the negativity. She said that tweets have focused on the "annoying laugh track." She said it clearly says in the beginning that it is filmed in front of a live audience and the laughs are real. If anything, they tone down the laughs. I thought they were 100% fake, guess not.

19. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    She's wasting her time arguing semantics. What she's failing to realize (or is deliberately avoiding) is the fact that when people complain about a "laugh track," they're talking about the laughter the viewer hears after every joke. The complainer doesn't distinguish between a live audience or something inserted by a sound engineer. It's the fact that the laughter is there that is being complained about.

20. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Besides, it's not unheard of for the studio to augment or "sweeten" the audience laughter in post production.

Yes, I know she claimed that they "toned it down" but I've never heard of that happening before.