white line at top of screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by robtech, Mar 9, 2007.

1. robtech

robtech Tivohead

Sep 13, 2005
    Antioch, IL.

Advertisements

series two running tivotogo 2.3a and the videos play in windows media player 11.0 after I run them thru directshow dump.

Every video has a white line across the top, kind of a static line along the top edge of the screen.

What's the deal? anyone else have this? Ho can I fix it?
    Thanks

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    It's normal to see a top line of noise when you play a TiVo file in a software player. This line is actually binary data that is part of the TV signal. TV's have overscan so this line is off the top of the screen and isn't seen.

If you mean a solid, constant white line, I don't know what that would be.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, that line at the top is annoying, but I think it has to do extra info. such as closed captioning, etc.

You might just have to deal with it. :eek:

4. robtech

robtech Tivohead

Sep 13, 2005
    Antioch, IL.
    ok so everyone is seeing it. yes it is annoying and I'm not sure it's watchable on my 46" flat screen. That noise line is very distracting. Any way to get rid of it?

5. robtech

robtech Tivohead

Sep 13, 2005
    Antioch, IL.

Advertisements

I just converted the tivo mpeg2 to wmv and the noise line is gone. Interesting.

6. robtech

robtech Tivohead

Sep 13, 2005
    Antioch, IL.
    ok, so it fixes some but not all. Is there any kind of fix for this? Anything?

7. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    From what I've read, the codec the comes with TivoDesktop Plus (the pay version) crops those lines from the top.

That will fix it when playing back .tivo files on your PC. Won't help if you free with DSD. Not sure about what happens when you burn a DVD.

8. WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003
    It depends on what processing you did before making the DVD and you use to display the DVD:

- On an analog TV: If the signal was not changed before it was put to DVD, the noise will be hidden in the overscan, if the noise was cropped you will then lose still more of the "good" signal to the overscan, if the noise was masked it will display normally. IUn other words, the noise will not be seen.

- On a digital display (ie a computer monitor): If the signal was not changed before it was put to DVD, the entire video frame including the noise will be displayed; if the noise was cropped or masked, the displayed frame will be a little smaller than normal because of the portion of the frame which was removed by cropping or covered by masking.