White flashing / artifacting ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TiVo_Fanatic, Jan 28, 2010.

1. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa

Advertisements

I never noticed this before so I'm assuming it's due to a recent update or something. Anyway... when watching programs with dark scenes or the solid black of lets say someones jacket every once in a while I see this white flashing / artifacting... the picture doesnt distort just flashes a light grayish white in spots. Anyone else notice anything like this with their S3 or any unit for that matter ?

2. Aknotious

Aknotious New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    I've noticed this as well recently. The artifacts I am seeing are horizontal white strips that randomly appear and disappear. I wouldn't call them 'pixelization' as they are not 'cubes' but are in fact very slim lines. Not sure if it's only recorded content this happens with, or if it's during 'Live TV' as well; I'll have to pay closer attention to when these lines pop up. Have you found an answer to your question yet? I'm using a S3 (upgraded to 750GB) with OTA and record all content in HD.

3. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    I see it sometimes with both recorded and live TV I'm just glad it's not a constant but rather a when it feels like it thing.

4. normychas

normychas Member

May 10, 2007
    does anybody else notice that this problem is particularly bad during lost and Grey's anatomy shows. Both of these are on abc and are pretty much the only shows i watch. The artifacts to me look like horizontal window shades during quick movements and pans. My tivo hd is a few years old and my pioneer kuro is just a few months old so i really hope its not the display. I have also switched my hard drives out a few times but am back to the stock one cus i could never get the hard drive image right.

5. schwinn

schwinn Member

Sep 18, 2004

Advertisements

Could you be seeing interlacing artifacts? A 1080i image to a progressive screen can cause this to happen, unless proper de-interlacing is done by the hardware...

Are these happening with digital signals or analog or both?

6. normychas

normychas Member

May 10, 2007
    just the hd signal. Although on the tv hd technically all the channels are digital. I thought abc broadcasted in 720p anyhow. The Pioneer Kuro is 1080p native with a pretty sick interlacer i don think its the upsacling thats the issue but i could be wrong. I watch the same content via converted mkv files on my media center and have no issues.

7. schwinn

schwinn Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Well, it depends on "who" is doing the deinterlacing. You may try setting the Tivo to send "native" resolution, so that the TV does all the work. I agree, the Kuro should have the better deinterlacer...

Converted mkv files doesn't really answer the interlace question, as the conversion process may have run a deinterlacer on the content as well.

8. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The Pure Cinema Advanced mode can produce some nasty artifacts with some content. Under Pro Adjust, set your Kuro's Pure Cinema mode to Standard if you have not already. That will minimize deinterlace artifacts.

You may be describing compression artifacts. More bandwidth devoted local subchannels means less bandwidth for the HD feed, or lower quality with more blocking artifacts. There's not much you can do about overcompression by your local ABC affiliate, unless there's another ABC affiliate you can receive from an adjacent market with an off-air antenna.

I would make sure you've optimized your Kuro for the best possible picture. You can find recommended settings from D-Nice (a reputable calibrator) for a number of Kuro models in this thread.