White Collar - "On Guard" - OAD 6/7/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by sushikitten, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Jun 9, 2011 #1 of 34
    sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Wow, no thread yet?

I thought it was a very enjoyable start to the new season - but then, I'm not hard to please.

I did wonder about getting June's granddaughter involved--she was good as an accomplice, but I wonder what they told her about what they were doing. I mean, I doubt they could just ask her to do that without ANY kind of explanation? Am I overthinking? Maybe.

And $60M in cash in the ducts? Floating out freely? :rolleyes: But it did make for a good visual.

And it was, as Peter said, a little fishy that Neal had the plane ready to go at the end, with Moz as the pilot. But in the grand scheme of this show, completely plausible. :)

2. Jun 9, 2011 #2 of 34
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I thought it was nice that after the seemingly status-quo-changing end to last season (Neal is a crook again, even if that wasn't his intent), they didn't take the usual tack of wrapping it up in the new season premiere. They actually changed the status quo.

Kinda gutsy for a network that likes to pretend to shake things up (yeah, I'm lookin' at YOU, Burn Notice! :D) rather than actually shake things up!

3. Jun 9, 2011 #3 of 34
    Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    A new season started?? Dammit... I wonder why my DTV DVR didn't pick it up.

EDIT: Yeah, I had to delete and re-add this SP in order to kick-start it again. Thanks for posting a thread... I would have totally missed it otherwise! :)

4. Jun 9, 2011 #4 of 34
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I enjoyed it. USA Network shows are filling my DVR. :)

5. Jun 9, 2011 #5 of 34
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I love this show and enjoyed this episode. I was glad TiVo remembered.

I agree, the money in the air ducts was a roll the eyes, but it was FUN!!!

6. Jun 9, 2011 #6 of 34
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I enjoy this show but I'm getting a little tired of Neal being a world class expert at everything. Fencing, too?

Add my vote to the $60 million unsecured cash blowing out the vents was dumb club.

7. Jun 9, 2011 #7 of 34
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Yeah. It would have been so easy for them to let the forged painting scrap reset the status-quo, glad they didn't.

8. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    I'm nto sure he was a World Class fencer, he was just "on a par" (or slightly better than) the other guy, although his ability to pick up where he left off fencing-wise was a bit much.

Yeah, nice visual, but $60mil in cash? Seriously? It probably would have packed the heating ducts for the entire building or been packed so densely that restoring the airflow to those ducts wouldn't have done very much

9. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    The problem with the idea behind this show is that Neal is waaaay too young to be an expert in all the things he's an expert in. Likewise, waaay too young to have done all the capers he's accused of.

10. Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    How old is he in the show?

I see it as he's a prodigy who used his talents for crime.

11. frombhto323

frombhto323 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Yeah, I've always gotten the impression that he is a genius who was too bored with conventional life to pursue it, which is one of many reasons he did not go to college.

12. Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    So did Peter have any other reason to believe the art was stolen (as opposed to burned up) besides the scrap of painting that plopped down at his feet?

I don't see why, (from Peter's perspective) after getting the painting tested and finding out it was painted in the 30's, he STILL suspects the art is out there somewhere, and is treating it like an active investigation.

It was great they made Moz the thief. It made sense pretty much, and keeps the plot in the primary cast so they don't have to add anyone. Though what motivation (other than friendship & plot) does Moz have to even tell Neal about it? It would be a whole lot easier for him to disappear than Neal.

13. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I'd say friendship itself is a pretty good reason.

But if that is not enough for you, consider that if Moz got Neal angry at him, then between Neal and the FBI, there is a very good chance Moz would get caught.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I don't see why a guy who is an expert in art forgery (he is, after all, the guy assigned to catch Neil) would buy that it was painted in the 30s in the first place. I'm not an FBI expert in art forgery, and I know that you can use old materials to fake an old painting.

Then again, this is one of those USA made-from-loopholes shows. I tend to just lean back and enjoy it.

15. Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Yeah, I'm nitpicking. This is definitely good escapism entertainment.

16. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Given the family history in the "business," I doubt it took much to convince her.

Agreed, along with everyone else. Did Lawrence expect that at no time would the fencing club have its ducts cleaned or have someone complain about lack of airflow and call a technician to figure it out?
    I think the point is that Peter had a hunch. He now has no reason to believe the hunch will pan out, but he's going to keep an eye on that list of stolen art just in case. But my question is this: If you've got all these paintings that allegedly disappeared in the 1940s, you can't suddenly submit them to Christie's for a traditional auction. Wouldn't you have to fence them on the down low, in which case Peter isn't going to find out about that type of sale?
    But as far as Peter knew, he found this scrap of painting by pure chance. He stuck it in an evidence bag, it was tested, and it turned out to be old. He has no reason to even think that the scrap was switched, and what possible reason could there be for a faked painting to be in the fire?

17. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The sheer coincidence of him finding a scrap from the painting that he earlier saw in Peter's apartment is another USA built-of-loopholes plot device, but nonetheless it was a scrap from the painting that he earlier saw in Peter's apartment, and he recognized it as such. The obvious conclusion from the canvas and paint being old isn't "Oh, this must be another painting, not the identical painting I saw in the master forger's apartment." It's, "Well, duh, he's a master forger, of COURSE the canvas and paint are going to be old."

18. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Which is exactly why he had the hunch that there was something up and why he was certain that the scrap was from the painting he saw at Neal's apartment. But then when the tests on the scrap came back as it being old, and he went to Neal's apartment and saw the painting he thought the scrap came from sitting intact on the floor, it would be pretty compelling evidence to think that his hunch was wrong.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Sure, if he didn't know Neal and what Neal's capable of (which is, like, ANYTHING).

20. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    I was under the impression that until they found the partial manifest that no one had any idea what the actual inventory was and there would be no such correlation.

Z