White Collar "Countdown" 8/9/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Aug 10, 2011.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I haven't liked Neal much this season and I spent most of this episode hoping he'd get caught. I know that's not going to happen but his exploits in this episode were beyond ridiculous. I almost threw the remote at the tv when he parachuted from a skyscraper in downtown Manhattan into a deserted street. If Peter suspects Neal so much, why aren't Neal's phone and apartment bugged? Why isn't Mozzie bugged? Why aren't they trailed? I know that in the White Collar universe Neal and Mozzie are super duper master criminals who would discover the the bugs and trailing agents immediately but still... Do *something* to get evidence on prime suspects #1 and #2.

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, this has never been the most realistic show, but Neal's plan depended on SO many highly unlikely contingencies (I'm still not sure why Peter had him locked in the closet; the street being deserted; the arms dealer being conveniently away from the living room while Neal was taking his time finding the painting and replacing it). It's rare for me to think, "Wait, WHAT?!?" while watching this show, but last night I certainly did. A lot.

3. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Peter locking Mozzie in the closet made no sense especially as it came about two minutes after he said he wanted to keep his eye on Neal. Also, Neal and Mozzie getting the schematics for the penthouse apartment and the building's lobby so quickly was a reach. And Neal found the painting in the first place he looked etc... I know we have to suspend belief for this show but this episode was ridiculous.

I'm I'm Peter, I'm punching Neal upside his head all through the night because he's ultimately responsible for Peter's wife getting kidnapped.

4. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Definitely not, since Mozzie was in the upstairs utility closet, definitely not locked in. :D

Seriously, though, they did at least TRY to motivate why Peter locked Neal in the closet. Neal made sure that Peter saw his lockpicks, and that made Peter suspicious, which (for some reason) caused Peter to lock Neal in the closet. I agree it does not make a lot of sense, but I would not say it makes "no sense". Call it a smidgen of sense.

But I'm certainly with you on the whole episode being hard to suspend disbelief. The two things that bothered me the most were

1) Neal forged the painting in one night (I assume he only had one night to paint it, and then it needed some time in the oven)? And it was so good that the DC Art Crimes guy said it was the best he has ever seen? One night's work?

2) The parachute. Where did it come from? Was it too in the Trojan bazooka case? (beware geeks bearing gifts!) More importantly, where did the parachute go after Neal landed? I did not see him gather it up. Did Mozzie take it?

5. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Actually, no, Keller is responsible for kidnapping Peter's wife. Also, Peter is indirectly responsible since he has failed to capture Keller twice, and apparently does not have adequate security on his home. I'd say Neal is pretty far down the list of those responsible.

Speaking of Neal, who remembers the history of the treasure Neal and Mozzie have? Wasn't the treasure from a submarine that Neal's evil mentor had salvaged from the bottom of the ocean? They keep saying that Neal stole the treasure. Who did he steal it from? If the people who recovered the submarine did not have salvage rights, then who does the treasure legally belong to?

6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The parachute was under the foam lining of the bazooka case.

I assume either Mozzie picked it up, or stray parachutes are a common sight on New York streets. :D

7. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    The people who originally owned the art before the Nazis looted it. They mentioned a museum in St. Petersburg in this episode for example.

8. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Hmmm. At what point does something like that cease to legally belong to the former owners?

I've occasionally heard about people recovering treasure from the ocean, say from a sunken Spanish galleon, and they are not accused of stealing it from Spanish museums or the estates of those who owned the treasure.

I suppose one could argue that my example is different, since the owner of the ship presumably did not steal the treasure from someone else. Although then you have to address the case of treasure from a sunken pirate ship....

9. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Short answer... never.

Agree by the way. This episode was ridiculous. Like Rob said, I don't watch it with a critical eye, it's just a fun show. But geez, waaay too many events had to happen just so for their scam to play out.

10. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    That is not really an answer at all, since it is obviously not true in some cases that I already mentioned.

11. verdugan

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    How about "not within our lifetimes, or our kids' lifetimes, and maybe even their kids' lifetimes"?

:D

12. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Where is that supposed law written? That hardly sounds like legal language.

Next?

13. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Neal started the dominoes falling by stealing the treasure. Mrs. Suit wouldn't have been on Keller's radar if Neal had been honest from the start.

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Did they mention the time of day or the day of the week that they were supposed to be in the apartment of the arms dealer? I actually WORKED in the building they mentioned....75 Wall Street, and there are literally thousands of people walking there for a good part of any work day. Even a weekend, there are lots of tourists who walk up and down Wall Street as it is a major attraction in Manhattan. (BTW, I don't think they actually filmed in that building. I am pretty sure that building was turned into condos, but they REALLY would have had to shrink the lobby to make it that small).

Again, it's TV, so I am usually not that critical, and I thought it was a fun episode. But yeah, there were a lot of things that made no sense.

15. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    By that kind of fuzzy logic, you should conclude that it is Keller's Mom's fault, since she obviously did not give him enough love.

Besides, Neal did not steal the treasure (although he did neglect to inform the authorities that he knows its location and how it got there).

16. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm pretty sure that, at least occasionally, the country the treasure originally belonged to will file a claim. From the linked article:

17. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Thanks for the quote. Do you have a link to the article?

18. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Oops, sorry about that.

http://www.losttreasure.tv/index.php?page=videos&section=view&vid_id=100289

So if Neal didn't steal the treasure, isn't he (and Mozzie) at least in possession of stolen property and engaging in an effort to deceive the US Government?

I guess it doesn't matter in the long run since the writers are going to finagle something so that Neal emerges free and clear. Keller will probably get blamed for everything and then conveniently die.

19. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Is Neal in possession of the treasure? Legally, I don't know. But what I remember of the sequence of events is that Mozzie took the treasure from the warehouse and put it into storage, and later set up a treasure cam, which Neal certainly utilizes. So, my non-legal opinion is that Mozzie took the treasure and is in possession of it. Neal has failed to report his knowledge of the treasure to the authorities.

I imagine Neal broke several laws in his antics in this episode, but I'm not sure exactly what they are, besides breaking and entering. I guess Neal also stole the Degas in this episode, although that painting has passed through so many hands it is tough to keep track (was Neal stealing the Degas, which may have already been stolen several times over?)

What I am wondering is what happened to the $6M contract kill on Keller. Did Mozzie get $6M in cash for the Degas? Or did he give the Degas to the person who put out the word on the contract kill, with the idea that the middleman would take care of paying the hitter? Either way, I heard no mention of the contract being cancelled.

20. verdugan

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    If you are looking for exact legal definition, why didn't you try googling it yourself? :rolleyes: