White Collar 12/4/09 Free Fall

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by alpacaboy, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1 of 47
    alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004

Advertisements

Wow, that Kate/Peter thing at the end was quite a twist. They definitely had me going with the Fowler thing.

I'm really curious now. Can hardly wait to see how that plays out next week.

Wait, what? January? What the frick?!?

2. Dec 5, 2009 #2 of 47
    Bill Reeves

Bill Reeves Lurker

Jul 17, 2002
    San Carlos, CA
    At least it's already December, so it's only about six weeks as opposed to three months or whatever.

But yeah, regarding that last scene, to paraphrase M. Night Shyamalan, "What a twist!" (Or maybe that was Robot Chicken's version of Shyamalan, I can't remember for sure. :D )

3. Dec 5, 2009 #3 of 47
    moot

moot New Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Ohio, US
    I really didn't see the Peter thing coming. I thought for sure he was the one person who was as much a straight-arrow as he seemed. If this plays out the way it seems its going, I'm going to miss the Peter/Neal team dynamic that was just starting to get good. But part of me suspects everything isn't as it seems.

Also, was it just me, or did Peter's hair look different in the Kate scene?

4. Dec 5, 2009 #4 of 47
    marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Yeah totally suprised me too.

I am really enjoying this show, and I hope things aren't quite as they seem, as I too have been enjoying the development between the characters.

5. Dec 5, 2009 #5 of 47
    Queue

Queue UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Apr 6, 2009

Advertisements

+1 for me.

I really enjoy Peter and Neil's banter. I hope something else is going on. Maybe Peter has been searching for Kate for Neil and not letting Neil know? And Fowler is in NYC for someone else other than Peter?

Although Peter does have the ring.

6. Dec 5, 2009 #6 of 47
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    If Peter really is a bad guy, it's a phenomenal twist. Got to feel sorry for Elizabeth, though.

7. Dec 5, 2009 #7 of 47
    Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    I don't recall ever seeing him wear that before.

8. Dec 5, 2009 #8 of 47
    speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    There's obviously a lot more than it appears with the finale. Peter IS a good guy - the whole premise of the show goes away otherwise. It's built on the trust in the partnership between Peter and Neil.

Cheryl

9. Dec 5, 2009 #9 of 47
    mostman

mostman Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Boston
    My first thought was that Peter and Kate are running some sort of long con to flush out bad FBI dudes. Some secret op, Jack Bauer style.

But then I thought, why the ring? Why would he wear that only when dealing with Kate?

And what was the OPS sting called? Mentor? That has to mean something.

One more thing - Kate entered that place with a key. She isn't a hostage.

10. bryan314

bryan314 New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    The more I think about it, the more I think this is a scheme cooked up by Kate and Peter to keep Neil on the straight and narrow. I can't remember them really doing anything illegal. She's left a few notes and called a few times but nothing else. With Neil's sentence coming up, I could easily see Kate ask for Peter's help to keep Neil from going back to crime.

11. moot

moot New Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Ohio, US
    Kate asked Neal to give up the location of his "stash", though. Why ask if there wasn't something hidden away that someone wants?

But, also, have we ever heard Kate imply that she was in any kind of danger from the man with the ring? Has she ever mentioned him at all? Neal saw the photo, but that could just as easily have been Peter tracking her down on his own and inadvertently getting his arm snapped in an ATM photo when he found her.

For someone being optimistic about Peter, that last scene could be interpreted as Peter telling Kate that Neal's getting too obsessed with finding her, and they need to change strategies, maybe even come clean to him about whatever it is they're doing.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, on the face of it, it breaks the show. I can't imagine how they can salvage it from here without stooping to the ridiculous.

I can't wait to see how they pull it off!

13. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Were we supposed to understand what Neal had stumbled onto at the end? Because if we were, that went right over my head. The Peter/Kate thing can't be as it seems. The chemistry with all the characters was far too good to flush that just seven episodes in.

I very much enjoyed the hysterical Psych "Private Eyes" promo at 19 minutes after the hour...

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    We're supposed to understand that Peter has been the evil mastermind all along, since before Neal got out of prison.

And you're right, that can't be as it seems. As I said before, I can't imagine an explanation that A) doesn't break the show, and B) isn't stupid. But they're pretty clever buggers, so I'm going to assume that they've come up with something more clever than I have.

15. MasterCephus

MasterCephus New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Hueytown,...
    I am only thinking of two possible explanations right now:

1) Peter planned this whole thing from the beginning to get Neil to tell where all of his stolen items were (to be one of the biggest busts of all time)

2) Peter has a twin...which of course be the worse explanation of all time...

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The only thing I've been able to come up with is that there's a Big Bad who has it in for Neal (this being the one who was behind him being framed for the heist in this episode, but that being only the tip of the iceberg); that Peter and Kate found out about it somehow (before Neal got out of prison); and that they are in cahoots trying to bring down the Big Bad. Kate's motivation would have been to save Neal and Peter's to capture a criminal, but Peter is probably coming around to seeing Neal as, if not a complete good guy, at least not a complete bad guy.

I'm also guessing that the FBI IA guy is probably on the level, and we're just being directed at him as misdirection. So if all this is true, is the Big Bad somebody we've seen? Mozzie, perhaps?

17. Queue

Apr 6, 2009
    I don't think Peter and Kate are in anything together. I think Peter tracked Kate down because Peter knows if Neil finds Kate he'll abscond and Peter is looking out for Neil.

But what was it Peter said to Kate? We need to talk about Neil. We need to do something about Neil?

18. Queue

Apr 6, 2009
    I have a hard time imagining Willie Garson as the big bad, but it would make sense that he supposedly went over the bottle and didn't find anything. He simply told Neil there was nothing there to keep Neil from pursuing that angle.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But Peter is the one who "kidnapped" Kate before Neal got out of prison (it's his ring on the security footage). From their conversation at the end, it's pretty clear that it wasn't a kidnapping, and that whatever they're in, they're in together.
    Yeah, he would be a long shot, but if it's somebody we've seen, he's the only real candidate that comes to mind. Unless it really is the FBI IA guy. But he was too obvious too soon.

20. thudtrain

thudtrain Fallguy

Sep 29, 2005
    It could be Peter's boss. Mazz even went out of his way to call him a legend, and say his record is completely clean. Not that we've seen anything that would make you think it was him, but it does put up red flags on a show like this