Whine sound in background of some channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Macros_1, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Macros_1

Macros_1 New Member

Apr 22, 2010

Advertisements

I've searched through the forums and haven't seen this issue, so I wanted to ask if anyone has seen it... I just purchased my first Tivo, a Premiere (45H) and it's been almost flawless. I have one issue, there is a high pitched whine in the background of the sound in some channels. On certain channels, it is always there. On other channels it comes and goes. It doesn't seem to happen on internet video (YouTube) or within menus, only on cable.

Setup is Tivo connected through HDMI to a Sony XBR6 TV. Some things that I have tried:

Switched from Dolby to PCM and back
    Swapped HDMI Cables
    Swapped HDMI Ports on TV
    Tried Composite Cables
    Tried on Different TV
    Rebooted too many times to count
    Changed multiple sound settings on TV (Dynamic, Standard, Surround, etc.)

The sound is a bit like what you used to hear on older TV's that you had to tune into or adjust the antenna to clear the distortion. I'm currently connected to basic cable (M-Card should be here tomorrow).

I've called Tivo and they are at a loss, I'm hoping that perhaps adding the M-Card will clear things up. I'd rather not deal with replacing the unit through Tivo since it has worked so well so far.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

2. Andrel

Andrel Member

Oct 19, 2000
  3. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    I'm having a hard time imagining how software could introduce that kind of artifact in the audio. Have you tried transfering any recordings to a PC or other TiVo to see if the noise is in the recording or coming from the output stage.

If the OP gets an M-card and the problem goes away because the channel list becomes all digital, that strongly points to a problem with the analog tuners.

4. Andrel

Andrel Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Nowaday, most of the hardware (like a sound system) can be controlled by software to the circuit level for such things as low pass filter, high pass filter, sampling, etc, and can be tweaked accordingly.

I only seen it in a couple of recorded/live channels. Not all of them.

I have changed settings on my sound system and was able to make it go away by turning off the surround effect but did not go further. Good idea though, I will transfer one of the show to my S2 and see if still there.

I think I read somewhere (in the specs?) that the tuner chip is the same as the S3. I don't remember I have seen this complain for the S3. I would expect the S3 to behave the same way.

5. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002

Advertisements

There are 2 tuners, maybe only one of them has a problem.

6. Macros_1

Macros_1 New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Sorry I missed your post. I actually searched prior to it and posted last night after trying all the other troubleshooting steps. But it looks like you've got the EXACT same thing. I'm running Time Warner cable as well.

I thought it was just certain channels, but many of the ones we watch have it. At times it is merely an annoyance, but there are times, like last night, where my wife was watching "Bones" where it was terrible. It was so loud, we had to stop it for a bit as it was giving both of us a headache.

Vman41, thanks for your comments as well. The issue presents with both tuners as recording one show and watching another has the sounds in both. I unfortunately cannot transfer to another Tivo as the Premiere is my only one. The amazing thing is that there are some channels, like The Weather Channel, that come through crystal clear without any issue. I just don't get it.

Time Warner is supposed to be by today to install the cable card. I will post once I have it installed and can check the results.

Again, thank you all for your thoughts.

7. Macros_1

Macros_1 New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    5 hours of fun talking to Tivo/Time Warner support and I am up and running on my M-Card. So far, I am still getting the background noise on analog channels...but not digital ones.

I'm going to try rebooting in the near future and see if it persists.

8. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Other thread reports this is only happening to some people but only on analog stations (which implies they are not using a cable card yet). I can't imagine anyone wanting/using a Premiere with ANALOG stations. And I thought once you have the cable card installed, then there is nothing BUT digital (all Cox stations are digital, not just HD ones; although they might broadcast some number of them in analog also, I don't think they even show up at all on my TiVoHD).

9. Macros_1

Macros_1 New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    I think basic cable still comes in as analog and is decrypted as such (on Time Warner basic is channel < 100). For some reason, TWC duplicates most of the channels that are < 100. So Comedy Central is 64 and 207 (non-HD version), both of these exibit the background noise issue. Channel 8 is Fox here, which has the issue. Channel 1008 is FoxHD, which does not have the issue. Once I get my tuning adapter, I doubt I will hit too many non-HD channels...but it is quite annoying!

10. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Not all systems map the basic cable channels to the 'digital simulcast' copies with cablecards. On those systems, the low number channels are in fact analog. Our system was like that for a while but once TA's arrived, the mapping changed and everything was digital (thank goodness).

11. 03fomoco

03fomoco New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Add me in the +1 category, I tried everything in my bag of tricks before searching and found this thread (different TV, different cables, all settings manipulated, etc...) My Cox is analog from channel 2-99 and this is beyond annoying. Not all analog channels for me are digital and on top of that what might be on the analog channel does not match it's digital counterpart. Plus I loose the ability to record tons of hours of "kids" shows at low quality and not hog up disk space for the little ones. More to come I guess, it sounds like the audio signal is being way "over driven". I am somewhat fed up with consumer products in general these days. I would expect a quick fix or a huge loyalty bonus as I have been with Tivo since the Series "1" 40 hour days. 30 days the clock is ticking guess I will start the phone process tomorrow. Seems like more and more products are rushed to market and the user is the beta tester.

Dave

12. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    With my Series 3, I get 6 digital stations OTA and analog cable.

13. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    No, it does not necessarily imply they are not using a cable card yet. Some cable companies - including mine - still provide basic cable channels other than local broadcast stations only in analog. For example I'm using a cable card but if I want to watch Animal Planet, SciFi, CNN, etc. etc. its analog.

14. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Wow- I had no idea! I thought most if not all cable systems had all their channels in digital by now, even if they had some duplication of most in analog! Live and learn.

15. Macros_1

Macros_1 New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    So, I got the Tuning Adapter today and installed it. Was missing a few channels an called TWC support, somehow they were able to get me 2 of the 10 or so channels that were missing and sent me over to cable card support. Whatever was done there knocked me into "B'cast Only" mode. So I only get a few channels now. But, I was finally able to test Comedy Central HD....and of course, no whine.

@SCSIRAID When you got your TA, your entire lineup moved to digital (even the lower tier previously analog ones)? Just wondering as I've got another truck rolling to the house on Tuesday to hopefully fix the TA. If my channel lineup will be fully digital with the TA, I think I will just keep the box (and maybe just get a warranty). Tivo support's only suggestion was to replace the box, but it's had no lockups and seems to work so well. If there's a light at the end of the tunnel, I just want to keep it.

16. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Yes. With cablecard only, the low channels were analog. With the TA, everything became digital. It is possible that the timing was a coincidence. If I pull the TA sometime, I will have to double check and see if the cablecard mapping still has the low channels analog.

17. bbowen

bbowen New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    How do you know if a channel is digital or analog?

I'm having the same issue. Still whining after CableCard, but I won't have my TA until Tuesday.

18. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Couple ways... You can tune the channel and press record... if it offers you a 'recording quality' option... its analog. Also you can tune the channel and go into DVR Diags and check the 'modulation' field on the tuner tuned to the channel in question. If it says QAM or ATSC then its digital. I believe it says 'analog' for analog channels.

19. bbowen

bbowen New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Thanks!

Ok, so the local Fox affiliate is analog. I've had squealing there. The CBS affiliate, analog and squeal. And Syfy is analog and the squeal is particularly bad there.

So, when I get my Tuning Adapter is there a chance it will shift these channels to digital?

20. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Depends... Does you cable system have 'digital simulcast'? Do they offer those channels in digital on their own equipment? If yes.. then the chances are pretty good that the TA will get you the digital copies since it effectively is operating as a cableco cable box.