which way to go

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by lamotte, May 5, 2011.

1. lamotte

lamotte New Member

Oct 10, 2004
    northwest ohio
    will be adding a new 37 inch led over the weekend to the house. here is my question should i go and add a new premier for 99.00 and pay the 12.95 a month or should i just add a box from time warner for 7.95 and be done with it once and for all.

when time warner came and installed the cable card the first time last september it took 7 visits to get it right. first time installer arrived and told us he didnt have my cable card but was on back order and spend the next hour telling us what a pain in ass the cable card would be. we then had 3 no shows and finally got it up and running. we all know what a nightmare card installation can be

not sure if i should go thru this again as the box still has plenty of issues that have not been fixed. would love to hear you opition on this

2. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    I assume you're referring to the option to purchase a refurb directly from Tivo for $99, with $12.95 service attached. I'm not sure if you can get lifetime on those boxes or not, never having done it myself. If you can, that's the way to go - if you plan to keep cable service for a couple of years, the Tivo even with lifetime expense comes out ahead in the long run. In addition, lifetimed Tivos retain a good portion of their value. TBH, even at 12.95 the cost difference isn't huge.

Personally, I think if you're looking at Tivo as a money-saver ONLY, that's the wrong way to look at it. Tivo is, generally speaking, much more evolved and has a much better interface than whatever your cableco has. Sure, there are some nice boxes out there, but odds are you're going to get a mediocre one. With Tivo you don't have to worry about that.

Yes, it is true updates are overdue for some aspects of the box - but Tivo just won a settlement and seems to be advertising to hire people. There was even a recent comment from someone at Tivo expressing hope that there'd be an update within "a month or so" - note this isn't firm or gospel, just a hope, but still, they (apparently) haven't completely forgotten the Premiere! :D

Okay... cablecards. Yes, they suck, but in my experience it often depends more on the specific tech you get than anything else. Sometimes you get lucky and the guy is in and out in 20 minutes - I've had that happen and boy is it nice! If only that happened every time! Re: the no-shows and anti-cablecard spiel - things may have changed since the last time you set up. Besides, no-shows happen even with regular cable boxes - that's down to your local office / their contractor being lousy. ;) Finally, I've got to point out that by October ALL cable companies will be required to allow self-install for cablecards - so help is coming on that front!

3. hhickman

hhickman New Member

Apr 17, 2007

That will be great when that happens. I wish it was already that way.