1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which to sell Roamio Basic or Bolt 500 GB?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jwbelcher, Jun 18, 2017.

1. jwbelcher

jwbelcher Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I have a basic Roamio + stream and a Bolt 500 GB both unopened with All-In/Lifetime service. I didn't plan to buy the Bolt, but I was eligible for the $99 "once in a lifetime" deal a couple months ago. Now I'm left to decide which is better to keep. Either way, I would want to upgrade the HD to 3 tb.

I plan to use them for OTA, and I've read the older Roamio has a better tuner than the newer Bolt units for OTA. Also, thinking that there's not any great retail 2.5 HDs to upgrade the Bolt hard drive. However Bolt though gets the nod to 4k, processor, memory, etc.

I'm leaning toward selling the Bolt given the trade offs plus the Bolt would likely fetch more on ebay.

Is there anything I'm not factoring in that I should be?

2. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    If it were me, I would keep the Roamio. Upgrade to 6 or 8TB. The only other thing you might consider is Roamio has analog video outputs while Bolt doesn't. This may or may not be useful to you.

If you must have 4k or like using the apps then Bolt is better. If you are just using the DVR portion the speed is basically the same.

The OTA tuner in Roamio is better which can save some frustration. Get a Roku if you care about apps.

jwbelcher likes this.
  3. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    • Sell the Bolt (for more money than the Roamio)
    • Use the money to buy a WD xTB Red WDx0EFRX (I have 3TB and 4TB HDDs)
    • Install the upgraded HDD in the Roamio Basic and enjoy

jwbelcher likes this.
  4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I have a Bolt (1TB version) and a base Roamio (upgraded to 3TB) both with lifetime both used for OTA only.

I do have reception issues but see very little differences in how the Bolt and Roamio hand them. They are both very good to excellent OTA DVRs, the Bolt handles apps better especially Plex. Right now I pretty much use the Roamio as a headless unit, streaming anything I have recorded on it through the Bolt (both units are connect to the same TV). I don't use the streaming to android/iOS/web browser features much (I have a stand alone Stream for the Roamio) so no real comment on if one is better than the other.

In the end I like them both, but do prefer to use the Bolt.

Mikeguy and jwbelcher like this.
  5. jwbelcher

jwbelcher Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I just sold the Bolt and did pretty well. Thanks for the inputs.