Which to Buy? Tivo HD with lifetime or New Premier with Lifetime

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by lynnalexandra, Apr 16, 2011.

1. lynnalexandra

lynnalexandra Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I want to get one of the HD Tivo's for my bedroom - so I can utilize my HD tv in there and get cablecards and dispense with Comcast's box.

So my question is, which is a better way to go:

1 - use my upgrade offers to get a new Tivo Premier with lifetime service for $470.
    2 - buy a used Tivo HD with lifetime service (probably from ebay) - which seem to sometimes go for $325-350 range - sometimes.

Either way, I would likely probably get an upgraded 2TB drive.

When I ask Tivo, of course they want to sell me the new Premier box. But I'm not sure this is a better box. Any opinions? I will say that the Tivo will be in a bedroom that's fairly far from the router. My Tivo Series 2 DT works fine with the wireless G adapter. Not sure if I'll notice quicker streaming with the Premier and Wireless N adapter - vs. a used Series 3 or Tivo HD with N adapter?

I even have a use for the current Tivo Series 2. We rent a beach apartment for a 4 month season - and I'd love to use it there. We're so spoiled - watching tv without timeshift, pause and record is maddening now

Thanks.
    Lynn.

Tivo HD - upgraded to 1TB internal, 1TB external - lifetime
    Tivo Series 2 DT - upgraded to 500GB - lifetime
    Tivo Series 2 DT - original drive - lifetime

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    The Premiere!

Compare TiVo Premiere to older TiVo DVRs

What I like about the Premiere is the HD interface with more of the shows information like Season/Episode number and quick access to the Episode Guide (I use the episode guide to watch episodic recordings in sequence), View Window (I originally thought I would never use) and the Free space Indicator.

3. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Easy. Premiere with lifetime, and just run it in SD mode to avoid most of the problems and retain the use of Parental Controls.

As bad as the unfinished software sucks, Premiere is the current platform and HD/S3 will be supported less and less.

4. lynnalexandra

lynnalexandra Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Thanks, guys. That makes that decision easier. I really like the idea of seeing the episode number and free space indicator. That is a real plus.

What is SD mode - and what problems does it avoid? Does SD mode mean I'm only viewing or recording in SD quality?

Thanks.
    Lynn.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    That is on viewing SD Menus vs. HD menus, which requires network connection. Does not affect your viewing of recordings or Live TV.

6. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    SD is short for SDUI the Standard Definition User Interface most of the menus are like the menus that the Series 3 TiVo DVR's use.

HD or HDUI High Definition User Interface The menus allows more information to be displayed on the screen. The HD menus are like "Swivel Search in HD" on the Series 3's.

Both will record and playback your High Definition shows.

The HDUI depends heavily on the Internet for a lot of the additional information as a result response can become sluggish when access to the Internet is slow. Speed should not be a problem if you have a reasonable Internet connection if not or during network slowdowns just switch to the SDUI and the DVR works like a faster Series 3 (TiVo HD).

7. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    The premiere is the way to go if you are going to use multiple ones. That is the only advantage to me. Transfer speed. And man it blows the Tivo HD AWAY! wow..

8. gthassell

gthassell Active Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Willowbrook, IL
    Definitely go with the Premiere.:up:

9. lynnalexandra

lynnalexandra Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Thanks everyone. I ordered the Tivo Premier today - and ordered an upgraded 2TB drive from mydvr-dude (through his store dvrstore.com - not ebay since someone mentioned on these forums that they couldn't find listings for him on ebay this week).

So glad to hear it will be a noticeable improvement in transfer speed. I do a lot of transferring - between rooms - and up to my pc for editing and back. Speeding that up (and getting rid of the Comcast box) will be huge improvements.

Lynn.