Which Tivo??

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by socaltoolguy, Mar 19, 2011.

1. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...

Advertisements

Ok, I'm doing some reading here and not getting a good feeling about the Premier. Is it a good choice or should I look around for some older units? We used to have a Series 1 and 2 but we gave them to my son. He has never used them and I might be able to retrieve them. Or am I just reading it all wrong? Let's hear it for the Premier. Yes or no?

Ray

2. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    We have an HD & a Premiere. Both of them have been fine for us. Of course, we just use them to record TV programs and watch later, so we aren't doing anything complicated.

3. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...
    Well color me naive. What else would you use a Tivo for. All we have ever used them for is recording tv programs. I'd love to know what else you can do with them.

Ray

4. Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    The Premiere can stream (above and beyond what the S2 can do) Netflix, Pandora and YouTube.
    If you want the Premiere for it's recording abilities, it should be fine. However, if you were comfortable with the smaller hard drive space, single tuner and online capabilities of the S2 but were interested in Netflix. Get the S2 back and find another device to stream Netflix with. Netflix streaming on the Premiere isn't quite ready for prime time.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Depending on your source for TV, antenna or cable (no satellite), you can use Series 3/HD/XL or Premiere, which does not use the traditional cable box, just with/w/o cable cards. Not alot of Tivo folks are too happy with the Premiere because of various problems.

You can still get older models, like the Series 3, HD, HD XL, series 2, from amazon.com and most can be bought new. Subscriptions are required.

6. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...
    Thanks everyone. We will be getting our feed from Verizon Fios. From what I have read we can use the Premier in place of the DVR/settop box from Verizon. Is that right and is that the best way to go? I've got the installer coming out to the house next week and I would like to have some insight as to what to have him do. We will have a small network in our new home for our computers. I haven't given any thought about Tivo in the network. That's a bit beyond what I had in mind. Our intent is to record programs and watch them later so we don't have to watch commercials. I guess in order to send the programming to another tv in the house we would have to have another Tivo and a network adaptor. Is that correct? If you folks can lead me through what I need to do I would sure be happy. Thanks,

Ray

p.s. Is there such a thing as a Tivo installer? Maybe after I get the Fios in my home I could get a Tivo installer to come out and finish the job.

7. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Get the Premiere. It's a very good unit and works pretty well for me.

8. h2oskierc

h2oskierc I'm a 2-Tuner

Dec 16, 2010
    Minnesnowta
    You want the TiVo setup before the installer comes. You will also want to let them know he/she will be installing a TiVo Premiere, and that it uses a Multistream Cablecard (M Card). Find out if it needs a Tuning Adapter (TA) as well.

You will want the box connected to your network, tv set, and activated before the tech arrives. You will also want to run the guided setup before the tech comes to do the install.

It sounds like a lot (and there is a lot of jargon there) but follow the manuals and you will be just fine. My installation took about 5 minutes plus the setup process. Feel free to post any questions.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Forum Runner

9. Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    Good point. Setting up the Premiere is very very easy, but from the time you plug it in, until the time it's ready to accept a cable card is a good two to three hours. Plan on getting it up and running a few days ahead of time. You won't need a pro, 95% of the time it's just clicking 'yes' to lots of menus and entering your zip code. The majority of the time is waiting on the TiVo to do it's thing. But the cable company isn't going to hang around and watch you do this. Also, everything will work normally without the cable card, installing that will just allow you to access the digital tier.

10. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...
    Thanks again for all the help and advice. The problem right now is that I am running out of time. I don't have a Tivo yet and I don't know when I will get around to buying one. We are in the process of moving into a brand new home and there are a thousand things that need to happen in the process. I am on here to try to get a handle on what is going to have to happen to get all our tv, phone, internet and Tivo all going. So, I will probably let the Verizon installer just do his thing and then do the Tivo thing after that. I have to think it all through and my old brain ain't what it used to be. There were some things mentioned in the above posts that I am not familiar with. Can you folks give me some more insight? The things that I am not understanding are multistream cablecard and a tuning adapter. What are they and where do I get them? Thanks again for the help,

Ray

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Your Cable Co. will provide you with cable card and tuning adapters.

12. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...
    What are they and what do they do?

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    FiOS only uses cable cards.

14. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    They replace the cable boxes and allow access to digital cable, and the tuning adapters access switched digital video.

15. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...
    So, if we are going to have four tv's but one with Tivo and one with the Verizon DVR what all do I need to make everything work?

16. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The Tivo Premiere will need a multi-stream cable card. Multi-stream is in terms as multi-channel. If you use their DVR, they will set everything up for you. But, Tivo will not be able to 'talk' or transfer between the DVR's.

17. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...
    I'll worry about that at a later date but is it still going to be doable?

18. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Don't feel pressured to get the Premiere before you get FIOS installed.
    The Premiere can easily be added into the system after the fact, however there may be an extra charge (from Verizon) involved to set it up.
    IMO, it would be easier in the long run to get FIOS installed first.
    Then when you get the Premiere, you just have it take the place of whatever box Verizon provides at the TV.
    You would then get the Tivo up and running and do what is called Guided Setup. Here you enter your cable provider (FIOS) and your area (ZIP code) among other things about your setup. At some point, a cablecard question will come up, you would select 'will add cablecard later' (or other similar wording).
    At this point you could probably go ahead and make an appointment with Verizon for a cablecard install, but allow at least 48-72 hours for the Tivo to get all of the guide data and firmware updates first.
    When you call Verizon, you would tell them you are replacing one of their boxes with a Tivo Premiere and you need a cablecard installed. Specify it needs to be an M-card and if possible, that the tech bring more than one (just in case).

I found this on TiVo's website. It might give you a better idea of how you would hook up the Tivo.
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1311

19. gthassell

gthassell Active Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Willowbrook, IL
    I suggest buying the Premiere, and if you are comfortable with PCs and hard drives, do the upgrade yourself to get to 2 TB of storage. Its cheap and easy - just follow the Premiere guide information listed in the upgrade section of the forum.

20. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...
    Wow, you guys are awesome. That's the info that I needed to get my big butt off of high center. Now I can move forward. I am pretty computer literate and should be able to do most of this stuff myself if I just know what has to be done and when. Is the Mcard something that I can install myself? Also, do you folks suggest the Premiere or the Premiere XL?

Ray