Which TiVo to get

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rajdawg, Sep 25, 2014.

1. rajdawg

rajdawg New Member

Sep 25, 2014

Advertisements

My wife and I made the move from directv to charter and in the process gave up our 6 tuner dvr and went back into the Stone Age with a 2 tuner dvr.

We have decided to look at TiVo and have since decided we only need 4 tuners

That really leaves us with either the roamio or premiere xl4

Have the speed issues been resolved on the premiere? We have an Xbox one on the same tv so we already have Netflix and that other stuff available.

Any suggestions are welcome

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The Roamio is the current Tivo.. Get it. Basic does OTA *OR* cable (4 tuner)
    Plus & Pro do cable ONLY (6 tuner).. only difference is hard drive size (which you can upgrade yourself via third party hacks, currently limited to 4 TB)

3. rajdawg

rajdawg New Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Is the roamio that much better than the xl4?

Also is there any hope to one day being able to access on demand

4. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    The Plus and Pro also have Stream functionality built in. (Subject to cable co restrictions.)

5. AdamNJ

AdamNJ Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ

Advertisements

Plus and pro also have the built in capability to create a moca network for easy multi room viewing with the addition of a TiVo mini. Moca shares your wired Ethernet connection on the coax cable wire (you would need Ethernet connection at the Roamio plus/pro location).

6. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Yes, the Roamio is that much better.

I'd like to ask about your viewing habits. How much stuff do you think you'll be recording? Also will their be any kids recording shows? Also, what's your budget? How tight is money?

I have a Roamio Pro. I record way more stuff than I can watch. I'm addicted to TiVo in that regard. While I could easily get by with a Plus, I knew the Pro was the one for me. I didn't think I'd ever use all 6 tuners at once, but I do on occasion. I record a lot of stuff I know I won't watch, but I'd prefer to have it just in case. (most of the late night talk shows, every home team baseball game, etc.) My HD is usually over 90% full.

Also, I like to think of TiVo as a long term commitment. So for me that means get the biggest / best.

7. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Do you plan on ever adding any TiVo Minis? If you do, then you may want to consider a Plus, since the Plus has MoCA built in, and those 2 extra tuners can come in handy, since Minis borrow tuners from the main DVR.

8. rajdawg

rajdawg New Member

Sep 25, 2014
    do not plan on adding any tivo minis at all.

I could also see this only being a solution for a year or two until charter launches a true whole home box based on the cloud.

I just need more than two tuners and a box that isnt super slow. No need for streaming or anything else

9. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Who is your cableco? They would need to make that available, Comcast has it now for tivo users.

10. rajdawg

rajdawg New Member

Sep 25, 2014
    charter is my cable company. I guess there is hope they do that in the future

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Note the *OR* above. You haven't said if you care about OTA (or I missed it, sorry). You have to reconfigure the Roamio Basic to switch between cable and OTA.

This thread has given a lot of the superior features of the Roamio Plus and Pro. There is a comparison table on the tivo.com website that summarizes them for your convenience.

If you need at least 4 tuners it looks like a Roamio is your best choice.

12. rajdawg

rajdawg New Member

Sep 25, 2014
    is tivo smart enough if we skip a recording but have a season pass set up that it will record the next airing.

Say for example a show like Real Housewives. We need the extra tuner so we skip the season pass my wife created. Will it auto record the next showing of that show?>?>

13. tatergator1

tatergator1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    The Tivo software allows you to prioritize Season Passes, basically ordering them in a list such that the shows you really always want (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. shows which are only usually aired once) should be at the top and shows which are less important (like those on Cable networks where they re-run the same episode several times a week) should be at the bottom. The software then schedules the recordings accordingly. For something like Real Housewives, you'd put it towards the bottom of the Season Pass list. If all 4 tuners were in use at the time of airing, the Tivo would then look for additional airings of that show and schedule it to be recorded when a tuner was available.

14. rajdawg

rajdawg New Member

Sep 25, 2014
    that is the best news ever and something that Directv never did!!!

15. waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    I'd buy a Roamio if I were you but a Premiere XL4 would be fine too especially if you get one really cheap. I have a 2-tuner Premiere (and Roamio Plus) and its always been functional; folks have complained about the speed of the Premiere as I think the 4-tuner version was dog slow but apparently the recent software update has sped up the Premiere software a ton.

You might end up surprised how much you like TiVo and simply end up using its existing whole home solution. If that's even a remote possibility, get the Roamio now; add Minis in the future once you're hooked.

16. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, if a program repeats and for whatever reason didn't record the first sorting out will get the second. That being said with few exceptions if it recorded the first it won't record the second also needlessly filling up your TiVo with duplicates. TiVo will also with the new update look for shows on any channel our specific channel your choice.

17. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Actually I'm pretty sure DirecTV has that feature. I came from a Genie 5 tuner DVR not that long ago and unless my Alzheimer's is kicking in, I'm almost positive I've changed Season Pass priorities on it.

18. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    What do you mean by "skip the season pass"?

19. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    If you were to cancel the recording, or say "Episode 5" that was scheduled for recording because of a season pass, then I believe the TiVo won't automatically record the next airing of Episode 5, say the one that airs later in the night or the next day or whatever. It will assume you want to cancel recording of *any* episode 5 that's currently in the upcoming list of episodes, so the next scheduled episode that's recorded would be 6.

20. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    However, if you sit down to watch something on live TV that you aren't recording and all 4 tuners are recording, you'll have to stop one recording and then reschedule it manually. (very easy to do with "view upcoming programs" option.)