Which Tivo to get, I'm confused..

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by skuttledude, Jul 17, 2007.

1. skuttledude

skuttledude New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    I had a "series 1" Tivo that I truly enjoyed.
    A couple years ago I got in on a great deal from DirecTV...free DVR from them.
    I've put up with it for 2 yrs and have got to dump it. I want back to Tivo-land!(sry for ranting, as I could go on and on)

I have direcTV and want a series 2 Tivo. I believe I would like the Online Scheduling as well as the Tivo-to-go as well as more hard drive space than my orginal black series 1 tivo. Of course I must have the dual tuner functionality. hi-Def is not needed.

Now, which one do I get?
    From Tivo's site is says: "The TiVo Series2 DT DVR is a standalone box that can record shows from two basic cable channels, or from one basic cable and one digital cable (or satellite) channel, at once.....TiVo Series2 DVRs work with almost any programming source: antenna, analog cable, digital cable and satellite. You can also configure the DVR to support both satellite and another source." that seems like I can't record 2 shows at once using satellite. I also thought I read somewhere that the series 2 DirecTV DVR's do not have ethernet.

what should I get and where?

Many Thanks

Dave :confused:

2. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    Out of the box, DirecTivos don't have Tivo-2-Go or online scheduling. They can be hacked to have similar features. If you are comfortable inside a computer, then you should be OK.

What do you want? Any DirecTivo with USB prots that is not an R-10. The R-10's are difficult to hack other than upgrading the drive. Where to get it? Ebay, yard sales, etc. They have been out of production for about 2 years now and the used market is drying up. I recommend the HR10-250 since it was produced longer and comes with a much larger drive. Even though you don't need HD, adding an antenna for local digital channels only takes a few minutes*.

*Location dependant. Choosing an antenna is as much an art as a science.

-Robert

3. skuttledude

skuttledude New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Thanks Robert..

OK, If i do decide to go for the HD unit, does it have the dual tuners, remote programming, tivo-to-go?

4. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    Like I stated earlier, out of the box DirecTivos don't have remote programming or Tivo-To-Go. You can hack some models (not the R-10 or the HR10-250) to get similar functionality. All DirecTivos do have dual tuners. And the HR10-250 add a pair of ATSC tuners (for OTA digital TV signals). All DirecTivos will record 2 programs as the same time.

So, if you want dual tuners then you want any of the DirecTivo models. If you want remote programming or Tivo-To-Go, then you want a Tivo branded receiver and you will have to give up dual tuner functionality when using DirecTV as your televions provider. If you want similar features to remote programming or Tivo-To-Go and dual tuners, then you need a DirecTivo that has USB ports that is not an R-10 or HR10 model.

-Robert

5. skuttledude

skuttledude New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Perfect...that's the info I needed.

Thank you very much!!!

6. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    The Series 2 DT Tivo does not support Dual Tuner functions with Sat.

All Directv and Directv/Tivo models are Dual Tuner. The Directv/Tivo models also have Dual Buffer.

Some Directv/Tivo models (The Series 1 and 2's) can be hacked in order to be connected to a Home Network. The R10 and HR10-250 cannot be hacked in this way, as they need Hardware not software mods to enable the USB ports.

Also, if you go the HD route, the HR10-250 only supports Mpeg2, and we all know Directv is moving towards Mpeg4 that only the newer HR20's support. So the HR10-250 will not support HD much longer.

If you want Dual Tuners, then the Directv/Tivo units are the way to go. If you want Home Networking/Tivo to go, then you could Hack the Directv/Tivo units or get a Standard Receiver from Directv (The D11 or D12) and a Series 2 DT Tivo unit.

Hope this helps.

7. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA