Which TiVo to dump?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by RichO, Dec 20, 2011.

1. RichO

RichO Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Hey everyone,

Looking for a little advice. I currently have 2 TiVo series 2 recorders. One is a 40 hour and the other is an 80 hour.

I am getting a premiere tomorrow so one of my TiVo's needs to be shelved. It would sound like a no-brainer to keep the 80 hour one, but my 40 hour has lifetime service, the 80 does not. I could easily transfer everything on the 40 to the 80 and not fill it up, but not vice-versa.

It's my understanding that if I terminate the service on one of them it will not even allow me to access the programs currently on it, is that correct?

I could transfer a bunch of programs to my computer for storage and then back to the TiVo when I want to watch them.

Basically I need to make a quick decision since I will be disconnecting it in less than 24 hours.

Thanks for your help.

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I would keep the one with Lifetime, upgrade the hard drive, and then transfer everything you want to keep from the 80hr box to the upgraded one before you cancel the service.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Obviously keep the lifetime.

With an inactive Tivo, you will be able to watch the shows EXISTING on it, but won't be able to transfer (to/from it) nor record new shows.

Plus, if they're the EXACT same model, since they're S2s, couldn't you swap hard drives, so then you'd only have to transfer half as much stuff? (The S3 & beyond encrypt the shows.. does the S2?)

4. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    The 40hr and 80hr S2s were two different models (plus the 80hr one could be a DT), so swapping the hard drives wouldn't work.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Keep the lifetime sub because you only have to pay for it once. When you get the Premiere, see if you can switch service numbers for the other non-lifetime box, otherwise its 14.99/month or 399 lifetime.

6. RichO

RichO Member

Dec 29, 2004
    It would be nice to upgrade the hard drive but a while back when my parents TiVo died I looked into replacing the hard drive and it seemed like it was a big job, involving installing special software on my PC, temporarily installing the HD in my PC, etc. Is there an easier way now?

I guess it wouldn't hurt to talk to the TiVo people since I've been a customer for 8 years. Maybe they will be really nice and transfer the lifetime to the 80 hour unit.

Now for a real technical question.... There will be 3 TiVos but only 2 wireless adapters. I also have wired adapters and a crossover cable from back when I used to have them wired together. If I keep service active on both S2 units until I complete the transferring, can I do the wired connection between the 2 units while having one of them wireless?

In other words, if the 80 hour is connected to the wireless network and the 40 hour is connected to the 80 hour by wire, will the 40 hour still be able to connect to the TiVo service through the network via the wireless connection on the 80 hour?

Thanks for your replies.

7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    They might offer $99 lifetime on the 80 hour S2 when you try to cancel.

You could transfer shows from the 80 hr S2 to the premiere and save the room on the 40 hr S2.

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If you're willing to pay a premium price, you can buy a hard drive with the Tivo software already loaded. Check Weaknees, or DVR Dude on e-bay.
    If you go this route, make sure to get a drive with software that matches the Tivo model you want to upgrade.
    Not likely, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. The worst they'll say is NO. :)

Get the Premiere before you cancel the S2. Once the Premiere is activated and running, call TiVo to cancel the S2. That is the best way to get offered the $99 lifetime to keep it active.

9. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    It's definitely easier than back in the day when you had to use a Linux boot disc. With WinMFS you just connect both drives to your PC (it can be internal or via USB adapter), backup the source drive, then restore it on the new drive and expand to use the extra space.

I don't think that will work as I don't think the 80 hour can have two network connections (one wired and one wired). The easiest thing to do would just use the crossover cable to quickly transfer the shows you want from the 80 to the 40.

10. RichO

RichO Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Well, as expected, TiVo would not allow me to transfer the lifetime to my 80 hour unit, even for a fee.

The good news is that if the 40 hour gets too full I can transfer the overflow to my Premiere XL. Originally I did not realize that the Premiere could record or store SD programs. If that gets to be too much trouble I will have to make the investment in a hard drive upgrade.

What comes with the Premiere/cable TV upgrade is the stupid copy protection that prevents you from viewing certain programs on another TiVo, even an SD recording. I can understand them protecting the HD programs but this is ridiculous.

I guess it's going to get to the point where the only advantage of having your TiVos on a network is for connecting to the service because you won't be able to transfer anything. :mad:

Right now the Premiere can't find the programs on my other TiVo but it looks like it just takes a few connections to the service and a restart to fix that.

Thanks for all your replies.

11. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Just to be clear, it's your cable company protecting the content, not your Premiere. I am still able to transfer SD shows recorded on my Premiere to my other TiVos. It's the digital-tier channels that are copy-protected (and thus not transferable).

12. RichO

RichO Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Both of the channels that I have recorded so far that have copy protected programs are SD channels. Ironically, the HD channels are not. The local NBC channel (OTA) has a CCI bit of 0x00 but any program recorded off of it shows up as copy protected. Shows from these exact same channels recorded on the S2 a day before were not copy protected so it seems that the TiVo is incorrectly flagging these programs. Very confusing and frustrating.

13. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Again, it's not TiVo, it's your provider. The S2 is an analog device so it doesn't "see" the copy-protect flag in the same way the Premier does (which has a CableCARD in it).

14. RichO

RichO Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Even if the signal is interpreted differently between the 2 machines, shouldn't 0x00 still be 0x00 regardless since it's the Premiere telling me that it's 0x00?

One of the other SD cable channels I recorded was 0x02 and that was copy protected as expected.

15. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Oops, sorry, missed that point. Yes, I believe if a channel is 0x00 it should not be copy-protected for MRV/TTG.

16. RichO

RichO Member

Dec 29, 2004
    According to TiVo's website the CCI byte values affect only digital content.

Is the SD channel that I am getting the copy protection on considered analog content because it is not HD? If so, I guess that would explain why the CCI byte is being ignored.

17. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Your cable provider may be mapping the analog (99 and under) channels to digital via the CableCARD, that could be why.

18. RichO

RichO Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Well, I'm not even going to bother contacting the cable company about this because from reading other similar topics, track record shows that they will either claim they know nothing about it or have no interest in doing anything about it.

Thanks for all your help.

19. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    No problem. To be honest, this is why I'm keeping my old S2 around: even though it only records in SD, the ability to MRV/TTG those shows outweighs the (sometimes crappy) video quality. :rolleyes:

20. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Analog Signal Copy Protection for TiVo® Series2, Series3, TiVo HD and Premiere

Like most television reception equipment, TiVo┬« boxes recognize Macrovision copy protection technology applied by program providers. This copy protection may be applied to certain limited categories of analog programming (such as Pay Per View, Video On Demand, DVD or VHS sources) and requires TiVo to respond in a pre-defined manner. Macrovision™ copy protection rules include:

Copy Never - This content is not allowed to be recorded by a TiVo box.

7 Day Unlimited - These programs can be recorded and viewed as many times as you like within 7 days of their original recording date

7 Day / 24 Hours - These programs can be stored for up to 7 days but once you begin watching the show, you must complete viewing within 24 hours.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/243