Which TIVO to buy for a second/third unit

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by WindyCityGirl, Jan 26, 2012.

1. WindyCityGirl

WindyCityGirl New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    I have a Tivo Elite and now that MRS is available I am going to buy two more units for two other rooms. My main question is should I get the Tivo Premier or the Premier XL? Does THX certified really give me anything of real value? I don't need the larger drive space because I have a ton with the Elite.

Would really appreciate your advice!

2. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I'm doing great with two standard Premieres. I upgraded the drives myself. Never thought about the XL. The extra tuners on the Elite are the only thing of value to me above the standard Premiere. But having 2 Premieres that stream so beautifully thanks to the MoCa network, I really do have 4 tuners now.

3. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Agreed, regular Premieres if you don't need the extra storage.

Check Amazon daily and you can get them for less than $80 each. I often see the price at $70 and $75 each.
    http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-TCD746320-Premiere-DVR-Black/dp/B0036OR910/

If you ever do need the extra storage upgrades are very easy.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-TiVo-Premiere-2TB-Hard-Drive-Upgrade-Kit-/320627171474

Or DIY with jmfs Live and a WD AV-GP HDD or WD Caviar Green
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=455968

4. WindyCityGirl

WindyCityGirl New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Thanks Cox!

Love amazon!!

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you're willing to commit to 2 years at $19.95 per month you can get a re-furbed Premiere straight from TiVo for $0 until I guess Thursday midnight California time.

6. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    IF you are committing to $20 x 24 = $480 .. Why not just buy a new unit from TIVO ($99) and get Lifetime for $500 .. So $600 total.

I"m also not sure the unit for $0 is actually $0 .. there could be sales tax -- as much as $26.25 in Calif.

I'm also not sure if you can get Lifetime on a TIVO purchased at Amazon?

Call TIVO and discuss your options, including buying a unit from Amazon. TIVO can tell you where your best advantage is and maybe get you a better deal or a special offer .. What ever you do, it will involve TIVO service.

7. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    If you could wait a couple of months, I would say wait and see if TiVo will offer the Preview at retail this year. They already know that interest is high and hopefully the cost will be significantly lower than a Premiere unit.

8. WindyCityGirl

WindyCityGirl New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Preview?

9. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  10. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Personally, to get the best of everything you might want to think about making one of the new ones a DVR available from your local cable company. That would give you the option of on demand and pay per view. I ended up with a Comcast DVR along with my TivoHD because I needed a HD cable box for a TV in my computer room. It was cheaper to get the DVR box then just a Plain HD box.

11. ShinySteelRobot

ShinySteelRobot Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    If you can wait, and don't mind gambling on if/when it will be available, then wait for the Preview to go on sale.

Otherwise, assuming your home network is reasonably fast, you'll be fine with one Elite and a couple of regular Premieres. MRS and program transferring are awesome.

12. TracySMiller

TracySMiller New Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    But wouldn't you get the Multi-Room Discount if this is your second TIVO, making Lifetime only $400?

13. TracySMiller

TracySMiller New Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    But would you be able to transfer or stream shows from the TiVo to the Comcast DVR and vise-versa?

14. TracySMiller

TracySMiller New Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    One idea I am considering is getting a TiVo HD with Lifetime from eBay, where the going rate seems to be about $350. Would this work almost as well as the TiVo Premiere for a second room TiVo if you have a TiVo Premiere as your living room TiVo?

15. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If your cable company sets the no copy flag, then you can't transfer those shows from any kind of TiVo to any other kind.

I think TiVo to TiVo streaming (which may be a way around the anti-copy flag) is, as of now, only enabled for, or only going to be enabled for, the Premieres.

I wouldn't put it past them to never enable it for S3s as a way to pressure people to get S4s.