Which TiVo plays nice with Cox Cable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Just a J0e, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Just a J0e

Just a J0e Member

Dec 6, 2002

Advertisements

Hello!
    I'd like to purchase a TiVo unit to use with Cox Cable in Florida. I am not familiar with that cable company so I really don't know how well they work together. I was hoping for a recommendation for current models.
    I have been a TiVo user forever but am not familiar with any current models because mine have worked so well and I have had no reason to switch.
    I own a Series 4 with lifetime and rent a TiVo from Mediacom identified only as a PaceMG1.
    I also have a working but unused Series 2 and somewhere around here is a working Humax unit with the built in DVD burner. All of mine have lifetime subscriptions but I will not be moving those boxes to the Florida location.

Anyway, any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  2. mmmm_beer

mmmm_beer Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just about any TiVo from Premiere and newer (Roamio, Bolt, Edge) will work mostly fine with Cox. The "mostly fine" really depends on which hardware Cox uses in that area. If it is Cisco equipment then "mostly fine" is about the best you will get if they use Motorola equipment it should work much better. It all has to do with the Tuning Adapter required. Cisco Tuning Adapters suck and require frequent rebooting to keep them tuning all the channels in. You almost get used to it. I personally use a Roamio Plus and it is fine. The newer ones (Bolt, Edge) are supposed to be faster but the only time I really complain about the speed is when loading things like Amazon Prime or Netflix which takes a minute or two to load.

Just a J0e likes this.
  3. Just a J0e

Just a J0e Member

Dec 6, 2002
    Thanks for the input.
    I have the same "load lag" with my Series 4. Still, if it weren't for the fact that I want the ability to view 4K I would just buy another "Premier S4 w/lifetime" off of Ebay.

I'm reading the Bolt forums now and it looks like that model is giving people major headaches. :/

4. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I would stick with a Roamio or maybe an Edge. I have 2 Bolts that were warranty replacements for Roamios that had dead HDMI and Lan ports after a power surge. I went thru 5 Bolts last year as they seemed to fail every 4-5 months. They are just plugged in as OTA backups now, as I didn't really need them once I got rid of Cox TV back in February.

As stated earlier, Tivo works just fine with Cox once you get the cable card and tuning adapter paired to your account. The motorola tuning adapters were trouble free on our Cox Oklahoma account. The Cisco/SA tuning adapter has to be rebooted once a month or so on our Cox Las Vegas account.

Just a J0e likes this.
  5. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010

Advertisements

Just like others, I have a Cox with a Cisco tuning adapter. It works but need to be rebooted monthly or less. The reboots seem to coincide with Cox doing "something" (changing channel lineups, etc). I haven't needed a reboot since March I think.

I have a Premiere. It works fine. The On Demand usually works on the first try, but I don't use it that often.

Just a J0e likes this.
  6. Just a J0e

Just a J0e Member

Dec 6, 2002
    I am starting to get the sense that picking up a used, lifetime/ Premiere 4 may be the way to go. I don't currently own a TV that has 4K and while that might be nice, (and maybe the way all TV are headed) it's not a deal breaker for me. Have to spend my limited "watching time", wrestle with my equipment to get it to work ... that is a deal breaker.

7. Aug 1, 2020 #7 of 15
    dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    You'd actually be much better with a LT Roamio, either a cable-only one w/6 tuners, or a Roamio basic w/4 tuners. The advantage to a Roamio basic, is that it works on EITHER cable or OTA...so if you would decide to ditch cable, you could switch it to an OTA antenna. (assuming you can pull in OTA signals at your place)
    The Roamio is also much quicker than a Premier...assuming you use TE3. ;) It's so easy to install larger HDD's in these units; they use the easily available 3.5 ones & they are literally "drop-in & play"!

I paid $465 for my 6-tuner Roamio back about 3 years ago & I didn't pay more than $275 for any of my 3 Roamio basics, all LT & worth every penny to me.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  8. Just a J0e

Just a J0e Member

Dec 6, 2002
    So I went with a Premiere and having troubles.
    After hours on the phone with a Tech from Cox, the only thing I get IS the On Demand. Every other channel is blank and shows the "Not Authorized" message.
    Was wondering what people think? Bad cable card (Scientific Atlanta) or bad digital tuner (Cisco) maybe?
    The only thing the tech could come up with was "Try splitting the cable signal, sending one to the DTA and the other to the TiVo" but that doesn't make much sense unless the TiVo gets it's signal through the USB cable.

Any thoughts?

9. alan smith

alan smith New Member

Aug 14, 2020
    It sounds like an issue with either the signal or with the Digital tuner. Make sure the line isn't on a splitter. it should go right from the wall to the digital tuner then into the TIVO. Usually when i would have that show up on channels i would reset the tuner or call Cox and have them reset the signal. They have a high turn around and half the techs don't know very much and know almost nothing about Tivo. You might want to call again and get a different one, you might have better luck. It's not their fault, they are not taught about Tivo in the classes. I was Tech for Cox for a short time and they funneled anyone who called about Tivo to me because most simply have never dealt with one.

Just a J0e likes this.
  10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    The only ones that aren't compatible are the ones with "OTA" in their names. But I wouldn't waste my time on an antique model, unless you just can't afford newer. My Bolt has run with no problems since I got it, as has my Roamio. You can't judge their reliability by the presence of complaints on the forum -- it's just that it's mainly the people who have problems who post.

11. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Yes, I believe most recommendations are to split the cable with one going to the TA and one to the TiVo (and yes it does get the SDV channel information through the USB while the video comes through the cable.)

Scott

12. Just a J0e

Just a J0e Member

Dec 6, 2002
    Unfortunately, it is on a spliter because I have a Cox cable modem for my internet.
    So the signal comes from the wall and splits, with one leg going to the modem and the other going to the DTA... then from the DTA to the TiVo.

13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    So add another splitter before the TA.

Scott

Just a J0e likes this.
  14. Just a J0e

Just a J0e Member

Dec 6, 2002
    Will find one and give it a try.
    THanks.

15. djones18

djones18 Active Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    I have a Premiere XL4 connected to Cox using a Cisco Tuning Adapter and Motorola cablecard in Northern Virginia. It has worked for several years though the tuning adapter, XL4, and cablecard sometimes stop working together resulting in lost channels. I've learned over the years how to keep these synced and operating together. I agree with Scott regarding cabling. Number one troubleshooting step for me is check all connections are correct and tight. Here is TiVo's website page for setting up your tuning adapter:

Tivo Customer Support Community

My setup: From the one coax cable coming from my wall I split it with a two way splitter. One coax goes from the splitter into the tuning adapter and one coax cable goes from the splitter into the XL4. Make sure all connections are tight. A USB cable goes from the lower USB output on the XL4 to the USB input on the tuning adapter. Once Cox pairs the cablecard to my TiVo and also has sent a reset signal to my tuning adapter, the green tuning adapter light blinks for awhile then goes on steady and the TiVo normally works correctly.

Sometimes the tuning adapter green light starts blinking and I have problems receiving SDV or other channels. This happens randomly or sometimes after tuning adapter updates, TiVo updates, or power interruptions. I've found the following usually works and others have found other similar methods:

1. Remove USB cable from Tuning Adapter.
    2. Power off the tuning adapter then power it back on
    3. Immediately Reset/reboot the TiVo using the 3-thumbs down method.
    4. As the TiVo is rebooting, power up the tuning adapter. Tuning adapter green light will go through a blinking sequence then remain blinking.
    5. Once the TiVo reboots, it will indicated a tuning is not connected. At that time I reconnect the USB cable. After a few minutes the XL4 indicates a tuning adapter is connected, the tuning adapter green light goes steady green and the XL4 operates normally.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    Just a J0e likes this.