which tivo do I need?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by catfish howard, Jan 12, 2020.

1. catfish howard

catfish howard New Member

Jan 12, 2020
    I will be living in a RV campground which as they put it has "DirecTV (Cable/satellite to air antenna)" Once I pull the RV up to the site I just use a coax cable for the direct hook up and then scan my TV through the satellite option so it can find the channels, so I will not have a Directv box.

Which TIVo can work with out a tv provider card and give me the channel grid guide which looks like the Directv grid guide where you can see each channel and the next hour or so with up next programs?

I think the TIVo Bolt has the grid guide I like but don't know if you need a tv provider card? I seen the TIVo Roamio but the guide I seen doesn't look like the directv guide unless there is an option to chance the live guide to grid guide?

Also the campground doesn't want anyone to stream since it slows up the wifi?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    What's the zip code and name of the RV campground as TiVo would have to have it listed as a provider for this to work and have guide data (you can go to TVguide.com and see if they list it as a cable provider for the zip code)?

The Roamio can be switched from live guide to grid guide and a used Roamio model with All-in/lifetime service would be an inexpensive option for you if you can get guide data (note you could submit to TiVo the channel lineup for the RV camp if they don't show it and see if they will create a lineup for you).

Scott

catfish howard likes this.
  3. catfish howard

Jan 12, 2020
    I just call TIVo directly and they said they don't have a device that will record from the TV input "satellite".

4. JLV03

JLV03 Active Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Is the campground taking a DirecTV signal via group of boxes and then putting the output on an analog cable connection?

5. catfish howard

Jan 12, 2020
    They have run coax cable to each site so they said I would just hook up to a coax cable from the site to my rv coax, then on the tv run a channel search through satellite and it should automatically find the 75 channel which 1 is a guide channel.

6. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    @catfish howard RVs often have separate satellite, cable, and antenna jacks on the outside of the vehicle, and for direct connection to your TV you just need to make sure one of its inputs is also "satellite".

For a recording box, which would sit in-between the coax and the TV's video input, there still is one TiVo option: the old DirectTV model, which is sold by WeaKnees with optional hard drive upgrades: https://www.weaknees.com/hd-tivo-directv-thr22..

I think you should call WeaKnees to make sure this will work at that park and with your TV model though. I only sound like I know what I'm talking about. :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  7. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    This sounds like they are using a receiver-less (hotel-style) MDU system, in which the DirecTV signal is converted to cable-style signal so users can just connect TVs directly.

I've seen digital systems like this in hotels that can deliver HD, but many don't. If it's a digital system, it's using ClearQAM, and any modern TiVo will be compatible. If it's using analog signals, you'll need an older TiVo capable of analog reception (Premiere 2 tuner models, TiVo HD or Series 3)

However, the more I think about this, none of it matters - you won't get guide data, because cable/OTA TiVo's don't see "DirecTV" as a valid service provider, and the THR-22 (which could get guide data) can't work with ClearQAM signals.

8. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    That's not the information he's getting from the RV park. They're telling him to plug the coax into the satellite input of his TV and scan for satellite channels. So a THR-22 may work. It would be interesting to learn what WeaKnees may suggest he ask the park to clarify things, and whether any adapters wind up being required.

9. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    The wording is a bit confusing to me, - it mentions connecting to his "RV coax" and running a channel scan on his TV - but I've never seen a TV with a dedicated satellite tuner outside of some properly old Sky analog models in the UK market.

Seconding the recommendation to contact Weaknees.

Edit: Also, most DirecTV systems that require satellite receivers don't have the dedicated scrolling EPG channel he mentions on Channel 1 (since you would just use the box's guide function), come to think of it.

10. catfish howard

Jan 12, 2020
    I called Weaknees and they recommend TiVo Brand DVR - Series4 TiVo Premiere (746/748) with Lifetime Subscription if I was to try a box but still no guarantee the grid guide would work. Also I don't see a satellite scan on my tv so they must mean antenna/cable? I will wait till I get to the camp ground and see what other people might use and see how the system is set up.

11. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    OK thanks, sounds like the WeaKnees folks believe the campground system converts from satellite to a cable-type system as @lhvetinari suggests. It will be interesting to learn what you find when you arrive.

12. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Would still be helpful if you post the zip code and name of the RV campground.

Scott

13. dougtv

dougtv Member

May 20, 2015
    Does your TV support Digital/HDTV channels? If it detects 0 analog channels but several digital channels when connected to their coax, that will help identify the type of connection.

However, if the TV channels match more DirecTV original channel lineup or not...TBS is still going to be 247 on DirecTV and it is going to have to be converted to a random channel for the television direct signal right? I am not sure how TiVo guide/channel data will help with that.