which tivo do i need

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by h7xx, Nov 21, 2019.

1. h7xx

h7xx New Member

Nov 21, 2019
    which TiVo do I need. no internet do not want fees want it to work like old vcr did. any help please.

2. TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    You mean just via antenna? You'd still need program info, so the one fee you'd have to pay would be to TiVo monthly or one-time for life. Then it could be the Roamio, or the faster Edge, or the even (slightly) faster Edge.

3. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    You're going to need give a little more detail. Are you saying that you don't have a home internet connection at all? Most modern TiVos are pretty dependent on a constant internet connection to function properly. Even the older ones still require periodic internet connection to receive the guide data, as I'm pretty sure TiVo has discontinued the dial-up feature for receiving guide data. Do you want a DVR that works with digital cable or an OTA antenna?

From what little that you've said, your best bet is probably to buy an old Series 2 or Series 3 with lifetime service on ebay. Those can be picked up pretty cheaply, won't require any monthly fees, and are less dependent on a constant internet connection to function.

Noelmel likes this.
  4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    There are no TiVos that work without fees, although you can pay them off in one lump sum. (You could get a used TiVo with lifetime service.)

There are no TiVos that work without Internet. (As mentioned, some older models can get by with a dial-up connection... if that still works.)

Noelmel and NorthAlabama like this.
  5. h7xx

h7xx New Member

Nov 21, 2019
    no recording ku band satellite

6. TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    I'm not entirely sure what that means but you'd still need program info. Either that or manually record by time, resulting in unlabeled recordings, but on second thought I don't think you can even do that without program info.

7. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    If you actually want to get help here you need to be a little more clear in explaining exactly what it is that you are trying to do.

Noelmel likes this.
  8. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Get a Ku Band receiver that accepts an internal or external hard drive for recording from the various Ku band satellite muxes.

unclehonkey likes this.
  9. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Tivo wont work with KU Band satellite. As osu1991 mentions get a KU Band receiver that you can add an external drive to