Which splitter config is better?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by draegs, Feb 6, 2020.

1. draegs

draegs New Member

Mar 29, 2010
    I'm rewiring my coax network and adding MoCA-compliant splitters in the process. I'm having some issues with signal strength to my cable modem however. Right now I am using setup A, but I am thinking setup B would be better as it results is less drop in strength due to the splitters. Am I correct in this?

Diagram of config options

2. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    B is better, but I would use an amplified splitter

3. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    B is better, as keithg1964 said. I'd highly recommend placing a 75-ohm termination on any wall plates or unused splitter ports.

4. draegs

draegs New Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback. I have terminators on the unused splitter ports but didn't think about wall plates.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Agree with the above (B is better, get a MoCA bypass amplifier if cable signal issues persist), but you'll also want to get MoCA filters installed ... one on the input of the top level splitter (the 2-way in B); on the input of your Tuning Adapter; and, possibly, on the input of your cable modem/gateway, depending on its MoCA compatibility.

p.s. The diagram doesn't seem to provide a complete picture, lacking any network connections.

6. pppingme

pppingme Member

Apr 21, 2012
    What are the walljacks feeding? Mini's? If so, I'd dump the cable and run ethernet, then only use cable where you absolutely have to.

7. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    B would be better in my opinion with one change. Come out of the 2 way splitter and have one side go to the modem and the other side feed the other splitters. I was using that for a long time. Then Comcast came out to fix another problem I was having and replaced my two splitters with a single powered splitter for free.
    Image1.jpg

8. ma91cs4d

ma91cs4d New Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Between the two, option B would be the better choice. However, a few follow up questions.

1) If you connect your cable modem directly to the drop without any splitters, what do your downstream and upstream signal levels look like?

2) Will all 8 drops from the 8-way splitter be used?

3) What are the distances of your shortest and longest drops?