Which Set top boxes work well with Tivo please?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by MarkH, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Feb 14, 2008 #1 of 117
    MarkH

MarkH New Member

Nov 21, 2002
    London UK

Advertisements

Hi,

Please excuse my noobie post!

I have done a search and a lot of the threads seem quite old, long and to be honest totally confuse me with all the different models discussed, praised and then criticised:confused:

If someone has a recommendation for a decent STB that works well with the tivo and is reliable then please let me know?

2. Feb 14, 2008 #2 of 117
    blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
  3. Feb 15, 2008 #3 of 117
    johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK
    My Pioneer: DBR TF100 works flawlessly. No lockups or missed channel changes, and a channel change will bring the unit out of standby (very handy after a power cut). Shame Pioneer stopped making them. You might find one on Ebay. Recent STBs I have tried tended to lock up after a few days of being switched on 24/7 so I moved the Pioneer from the bedroom to Tivo.

4. Feb 15, 2008 #4 of 117
    Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Netgem or BT IPlayer+ with the final v 4.6.23c software is very reliable and also good with weak signals. The box can also do email and basic web browsing too.

They regularly crop up on Ebay and sell for £30 to £40.

The boxes also have a Sony tuner chip on board for the Freeview reception.

5. Feb 16, 2008 #5 of 117
    jdwood37

jdwood37 New Member

Dec 6, 2002
    Bedford, UK

Advertisements

I've had a few and the worst was Nokia, the best is Sony-Humax Fox is good but it won't switch to radio numbers (like 705 for Five-Live)-that's something to watch out for (handy to record 'Start the Week' on Radio 4 etc on Basic quality)
    Sony no longer make theirs, they fetch about £60 on Ebay. A lot of the others I tried are ok but seem to have glitches such as hanging up or displaying messages which ruin the recording.

6. Feb 16, 2008 #6 of 117
    Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Surely this also includes the Sony Freeview box which suffers with being left with the CBeebies/CBBC changeover screen on BBC Four and BBC Three?

The Netgem IPlayer does not have this problem and yet uses a Sony Freeview tuner chip.

7. Feb 17, 2008 #7 of 117
    Ashley

Ashley Aibo nut

Apr 20, 2002
    Windsor UK
  8. Feb 17, 2008 #8 of 117
    Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    There is no mention of the Netgem or BT Iplayer being one of the affected boxes. Seems rather unlikely to me that they would already be making obsolete DTT boxes that were widely on sale in 2005.

Also what exactly is going on with Sutton Coldfield given that the region is not yet scheduled for DTT switchover.

9. Feb 28, 2008 #9 of 117
    timdownie

timdownie New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    I'm desperate to know the answer to this as well as I'm sick to the back teeth of crashing digiboxes & blank recordings. My Sony PVR (with integral tuner) never crashes so why is it so hard to find an external box that doesn't? We're on our third digibox now and they've all crashed with varying degrees of frequency.

I'd prefer not to buy an "obsolete" box off of ebay but if it's the only way to get reliable recording I may go down that route. The other problem is finding codes for new models. The list of compatible models is a year old I think.

10. Feb 28, 2008 #10 of 117
    jdwood37

jdwood37 New Member

Dec 6, 2002
    Bedford, UK
    As I previously posted I think the best one is Sony VTX-D800U which you can get from Ebay about £60 (there are quite a few on there). I bought one that was supposed to be 'faulty' for £15-just needed resetting (hold in the power for 6 seconds). Unfortunately Sony don't do updates any more but not really that important for Tivo only use. It was a quality product from the start, bizarre why Sony dropped it, maybe they were undercut by the £30 cheapos:confused:

11. Feb 28, 2008 #11 of 117
    AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    The £25 Wharfdale DV832BN(2) box from Argos is very stable in my experience - having run fault free, continuously for over a year (on uninterupted power supply).
    I have had 2 recordings where the sound dropped out and stayed silent in several hundred faultless recordings. There is no way to tell if that was a source or box problem, subsequent recordings were fine with no intervention from me.
    You can disable the check for software updates so it doesn't trash recordings in the early hours.

You may get sound drop out of a second or so every few hours, some have found this too irritating to live with. My signal is pathetic and it's the least of my worries, the fact that it gives a clear picture on FiveUS when other boxes couldn't tune it is more important to me. If this bothers you then check the return policy for Freeview boxes at Argos. I bought the extended warranty so if I ever decided it was too irritating I could return it as faulty and get another/alternative.

Wharfedale code 20030 actually works. There are a number of threads on here from people who've picked Freeview boxes that aren't in the current IR codes database. If you have a Pronto remote or a compatible device that can process the codes this is no biggie, but if you don't it could be really irritating.

UPDATE
    Argos appear to have updated the model to "Wharfedale LPDV832B Low Energy Set-Top Box"
    The manual for my silver one suggests an 8W running power but no measured standby figure. The cynic in me thinks that they've changed the case from silver to black but they may have done something to acheive a 2W standby power consumption.
    Standby consumption is irrelevant for Tivo use anyway unless you turn the box off yourself in which case you might as well flip the wall switch and save both those watts too - but if they've actually changed the internals then all bets are off only trial and error will say for sure.

Good luck.

UPDATED UPDATE ;)
    Ebuyer appear to have 271+ silver units in stock. The user reviews suggest these are repacked
    £10.99 + shipping = works out at £15.78 if you choose supersaver 5 working days.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139533

12. Feb 28, 2008 #12 of 117
    jdwood37

jdwood37 New Member

Dec 6, 2002
    Bedford, UK
    Does the Wharfedale have a radio/tv button? Some require you to press this to get to the radio and don't respond to the Tivo infrared sending the number.

13. Feb 28, 2008 #13 of 117
    MarkH

MarkH New Member

Nov 21, 2002
    London UK
    Forget the wharfedale, just bought one and I get a two second sound drop out about 4 times every hour :(

14. Feb 28, 2008 #14 of 117
    AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    Nope, it merrily recorded hours of suggestions from Radio 4 before I got sick of it and deselected those channels from 'channels I receive'
    They don't all do it that frequently, but there are plenty of posts here and on Digital Spy that suggest it's a common issue. I'm reasonably OK with mine but I can see 4x an hour would be too much.

15. Feb 28, 2008 #15 of 117
    MarkH

MarkH New Member

Nov 21, 2002
    London UK
    AMC I cannot say what percentage of them do it, at whatever frequency, all I can say is mine drops out at least 4 times an hour, maybe it has something to do with the signal, which is why it varies between different people?

16. Feb 28, 2008 #16 of 117
    timdownie

timdownie New Member

Oct 31, 2007

So what's your signal like Mark?

17. Feb 29, 2008 #17 of 117
    AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    My guess is there is a lot of variance in quality for a unit that retails/ed between £11 and £35.

My signal strength is pants so I have a 20dB masthead amp AND 20dB booster.
    I get all channels but the FiveUS mux shows problems with impulse interference and breaks up with the aerial moving in very strong wind. The input signal to mine is strong but probably very noisy.

When the scaffolding goes up on my house I'll be moving the aerial up to the chimney to improve the signal and I'll be able to compare, but these boxes will probably be history by then.

Perhaps a booster would improve matters for MarkH but I wouldn't spend money to find out if I didn't have one lying around.

Anyone else bought a new Freeview box that Tivo can control?

18. Feb 29, 2008 #18 of 117
    johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK
    There is a small bugette with the Sony box to do with shared channels. If the Sony is on (say BBC4) out of hours, there is a MHEG welcome screen. If you then switch to CBBC which shares the channel (although it has a different channel number), you see the CBBC channel but the BBC4 welcome screen stays up. There are also reports of problems with red screen/grey screen on channel 5 and others.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=454039&highlight=D800U&page=30

Post 727 onwards..

19. Mar 1, 2008 #19 of 117
    MarkH

MarkH New Member

Nov 21, 2002
    London UK
    Hi AMC,

My signal strength is pretty good, I think it is just the box, but have taken the box back to argos and now have a netgem iplayer+, which is down on picutre quality and reception compared to the Wharfdale, is there a box which actually works well out there:confused:

20. Mar 2, 2008 #20 of 117
    jdwood37

jdwood37 New Member

Dec 6, 2002
    Bedford, UK
    Humax FOX is a good box and still available - EXCEPT it will not switch to the radio channels without pressing the tv/radio button on the remote and again to get back again. Bit puzzling why they didn't allow direct numbers:rolleyes: I guess there's no way past that!